2008 Toyota Corolla....school me!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking at this for my little sister, from what I remember they are solid cars. I know it has the 1.8, do these have a belt or chain? The car in question is an automatic, any problems with these? Looking for any and all advice, and what problems if any to look out for. Dealer is wanting $4,500 of course we would try to negotiate. Car has 150,000 miles.

1.8 has a chain, my family has 3 of these engines, 2 are automatic ('06 & '07 Matrix XR), and one manual ('08 Corolla)-all have been solid, (although only the Corolla is over 100K miles.)

They have a chain and the automatic is more reliable than the stick shifts that come with those.

I'd try to get a car like that from a private party-- the price spread is insane and the dealer probably hopes to further get ya by financing the thing.

SIL just traded a 2009 for a new Rav4. The corolla ate batteries for some reason, but was otherwise just a boring appliance that worked efficiently and got good gas mileage. She traded it at 105k and got a little over $4k for it. So Im not sure if a $4.5k with 150k is hiding something or not...

They have a chain. The Corolla is a great car that will give you many enjoyable miles with no problems
smile.gif

One issue, the odometer stops at 299999 and just stays there.

Thanks for the input so far guys. Does anybody know if the transmission has a drain plug and dip stick?

Originally Posted by hpb
Hard to go wrong with that model Corolla if it's been cared for even just a little bit by the previous owners.

Paying that much is about the only way. If it was $15k new your sister would have to drive it to 225k to break even compared with buying new... and she's getting the crummy years at the end!

Originally Posted by gregk24
Thanks for the input so far guys. Does anybody know if the transmission has a drain plug and dip stick?

It definitely has a dipstick.

An appliance for sure but rock solid and reliable with no real issues, good automatic transmission. Overall a good car, a bit homely and nothing special but its the Speed Queen of the car world.

Originally Posted by Trav
An appliance for sure but rock solid and reliable with no real issues, good automatic transmission. Overall a good car, a bit homely and nothing special but its the Speed Queen of the car world.

That is what we are looking for.

Originally Posted by E365
Decent appliance, but an absolutely miserable car to drive.

Sounds like the perfect car for a young girl.

My MIL has one, I drive it when I service it, its not bad at all, it has decent seats and a decent ride. I honestly cant knock the car and I am no Japanese car fan but when its good its good.

She hit some concrete stairs with it real hard and damaged the whole from end, I repaired it with OE parts and I can say the sub frame is very good and strong, I didn't have to pull it. Its been fine ever since and took an alignment with no major adjustment.
The only repairs have been a brake job, tires, wipers and a weeping water pump.

I have an 07. Chain, 1.8, auto. Im at 165k miles. Flawless car, minor repairs, and easy to work on. Feel free to DM me if u need any specifics. Owned since 2010 and 50k miles

Originally Posted by hpb
Originally Posted by gregk24

It definitely has a dipstick.

It has both, at least i know the 07 does.

I dont find it to be miserable at all. Its an econobox, not a sports car. Depends what you consider miserable. Rides smooth, and gets me from A to B with minimal cost & repairs. I put 115k miles on mine and I dont recall any moments being miserable. Let me add to that, im 6ft6 and over 300lbs. Maybe im just a simple person though!

Originally Posted by Rolla07

I dont find it to be miserable at all. Its an econobox, not a sports car. Depends what you consider miserable. Rides smooth, and gets me from A to B with minimal cost & repairs. I put 115k miles on mine and I dont recall any moments being miserable. Let me add to that, im 6ft6 and over 300lbs. Maybe im just a simple person though!

Sounds like it fits your needs perfectly, MIL has one and it's a good A to B car. I don't think the seats have ever seen sunlight, they've been covered with sheets since the mid 2000's
grin2.gif

I do like this generation, I've driven the 2009+ and it felt really cheap in comparison.

Originally Posted by Rolla07

Some people like a car that has a bit of life to it. Yeah, Toyota makes reliable, decent cars. But, they're boring. And when they do decide to make something fun, they leave it to another manufacturer (Subaru and the BRZ/GT86/FRS, BMW and the Supra). Throw a Camry or Corolla through a corner and it's the definition of "mmmeeehhhhhhh." And there is nothing wrong with that, I'd buy one for a teenage driver for exactly that reason. I managed to have way too much fun (heads outta the gutters, not like that) in a minivan of all things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back