Recent Topics
Mechanics and come backs
by motor_oil_madman - 12/05/19 08:33 AM
Camping World Labor Rate
by Redright9 - 12/05/19 08:09 AM
Best Batt Maintainer
by Smoky14 - 12/05/19 07:30 AM
MOPAR OEM floor mats
by OVERKILL - 12/05/19 07:22 AM
Pressing Index Finger on Forehead
by Gebo - 12/05/19 06:39 AM
Drove a 6spd manual yesterday...don't miss it
by wemay - 12/05/19 06:20 AM
Walmart Beef
by Duffyjr - 12/05/19 05:45 AM
Bilstein B6 = Made in Mexico
by The Critic - 12/05/19 04:02 AM
Repsol Elite Multivalvulas 10W-40
by FordCapriDriver - 12/05/19 01:21 AM
Harbor Freight coming to town
by Malo83 - 12/04/19 11:57 PM
Huge oil leak repair: 2001 Blazer 4x4
by 14Accent - 12/04/19 10:44 PM
Honda OEM starter vs aftermarket???
by Garyd - 12/04/19 10:40 PM
John F Kennedy, CVN 79...
by mattwithcats - 12/04/19 09:42 PM
Great Deal on a Great Folding Pocketknife
by john_pifer - 12/04/19 08:13 PM
CITGO SYNTHETIC 5W30 VOA/UOA
by firebird72 - 12/04/19 06:42 PM
Germany's reluctance to electric vehicles
by Lolvoguy - 12/04/19 06:10 PM
Tried STP, impressed so far!
by cwilliamsws6 - 12/04/19 05:38 PM
Noisy windshield wiper blades
by paulri - 12/04/19 05:25 PM
Newest Members
benny88, Blazs, UnderDawgAl, Olyamie, dell418
70039 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
99 registered members (Aero540T, 2015_PSD, AndyB, Al, 2004tdigls, 1978elcamino, 5 invisible), 1,786 guests, and 31 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums67
Topics298,315
Posts5,132,735
Members70,039
Most Online3,589
Nov 2nd, 2019
Donate to BITOG
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Newest Quaker State full syn, okay for 10K mile OCI? [Re: dwcopple] #4999448 02/02/19 12:07 PM
Joined: May 2013
Posts: 185
K
KevinP Offline
Offline
K
Joined: May 2013
Posts: 185
My Dodge has a factory 10K OCI based upon the OLM. It actually usually pops around 9.5K but close enough. It doesn't specify synthetic. That is largely a meaningless term anyway. It does specify MS-6395 which can be satisfied by several inexpensive oils.

My Chevy has an OLM too but I don't run enough miles on it to ever hit a change. I change it yearly.

My Hyundai and my son's Kia have small sumps. The Kia only uses about 3.5 Qt of oil a change. I change it every 5K or there abouts because he runs back and forth to school with good long distance highway runs. If you run a vehicle 10K with nothing but couple mile short trips (don't know how you would do that) that is significantly different than running it in long multiple hours highway commutes.

So.... miles are only part of the equation. How you operate the vehicle matters and that is why I like OLMs that track vehicle use. They theoretically account for how you use the vehicle and offer a safe drain interval engineered for your car.

Re: Newest Quaker State full syn, okay for 10K mile OCI? [Re: KevinP] #4999519 02/02/19 01:28 PM
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 11,393
T
Triple_Se7en Offline
Offline
T
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 11,393
Speaking of when to time an oi change.....
I drive a new 2.4 Hyundai, far different engine than those I had prior. Transmission also quite different.

These new four cylinder engine really need a-lot of torque to achieve speed in a hurry. A perfect example is my gas pedal never even reaching half-way down to the floor and my RPMs sometimes hit nearly 4 as I accelerate to the 50MPH speed limit.

Why is this 8-speed tranny that seems to shift to the next higher gear ever 10MPH, require so much torque (nearly 4K), going from hypothetical 3rd gear to 4th gear and my foot never going more than halfway down on the gas pedal?


19' Hyundai Santa Fe 2.4 GDI - Valv Syn 5w30 / Napa Proselect filter / 6oz Liqui-Moly
20' Kia Soul X-Line 2.0 Multi-port / Factory-fill oil / filter
04' Colorado 3.5 / Castrol Edge 0W40 / K&N filter
Re: Newest Quaker State full syn, okay for 10K mile OCI? [Re: LE_Oil_Guy] #4999924 02/02/19 10:40 PM
Joined: Jun 2015
Posts: 504
M
madeej11 Offline
Offline
M
Joined: Jun 2015
Posts: 504
Originally Posted by LE_Oil_Guy
I recommend changing your oil filter between extended drains. As engine oil and the filter accumulate miles, they become contaminated with carbon, water and various acids, all of which are a byproduct of internal combustion that will form a film of black, gooey sludge on the interior parts of the engine.

Cold-engine operation accelerates the formation of contaminates because the oil temperatures aren’t sufficient to evaporate accumulated moisture. Oil contaminates are also aggravated by short-trip, cold-weather driving. Over time, the filter will collect enough contaminates to become restricted. Most oil filters are changed at an interval of 5,000 to 7,500 miles so if you are extending drains out to 10k or 15k, you need to change your oil filter at the half-way point.

Well, well, well nothing like getting schooled by a newbie. Seriously, all the above is common knowledge to bitogers. Elementary my dear sir. Cheers.

Re: Newest Quaker State full syn, okay for 10K mile OCI? [Re: KevinP] #4999941 02/02/19 11:27 PM
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 25,017
StevieC Offline
Offline
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 25,017
Originally Posted by KevinP
My Dodge has a factory 10K OCI based upon the OLM. It actually usually pops around 9.5K but close enough. It doesn't specify synthetic. That is largely a meaningless term anyway. It does specify MS-6395 which can be satisfied by several inexpensive oils.

My Chevy has an OLM too but I don't run enough miles on it to ever hit a change. I change it yearly.

My Hyundai and my son's Kia have small sumps. The Kia only uses about 3.5 Qt of oil a change. I change it every 5K or there abouts because he runs back and forth to school with good long distance highway runs. If you run a vehicle 10K with nothing but couple mile short trips (don't know how you would do that) that is significantly different than running it in long multiple hours highway commutes.

So.... miles are only part of the equation. How you operate the vehicle matters and that is why I like OLMs that track vehicle use. They theoretically account for how you use the vehicle and offer a safe drain interval engineered for your car.

My OLM in the Caravan goes off at 13,000km or so (8K miles) and my Journey used to do the same.

Last edited by StevieC; 02/02/19 11:27 PM.

'18 Caravan - 45k KM - AMSOIL SS 0w20, Fram Ultra, TC-W3 500:1
'06 Santa Fe - 535k KM (Retired)

There is no such thing as "lifetime" fluids! mad
Re: Newest Quaker State full syn, okay for 10K mile OCI? [Re: StevieC] #4999951 02/02/19 11:50 PM
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 12,483
dave1251 Online Happy
Online Happy
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 12,483
Originally Posted by StevieC
Originally Posted by KevinP
My Dodge has a factory 10K OCI based upon the OLM. It actually usually pops around 9.5K but close enough. It doesn't specify synthetic. That is largely a meaningless term anyway. It does specify MS-6395 which can be satisfied by several inexpensive oils.

My Chevy has an OLM too but I don't run enough miles on it to ever hit a change. I change it yearly.

My Hyundai and my son's Kia have small sumps. The Kia only uses about 3.5 Qt of oil a change. I change it every 5K or there abouts because he runs back and forth to school with good long distance highway runs. If you run a vehicle 10K with nothing but couple mile short trips (don't know how you would do that) that is significantly different than running it in long multiple hours highway commutes.

So.... miles are only part of the equation. How you operate the vehicle matters and that is why I like OLMs that track vehicle use. They theoretically account for how you use the vehicle and offer a safe drain interval engineered for your car.

My OLM in the Caravan goes off at 13,000km or so (8K miles) and my Journey used to do the same.



And the former Ram I owned went off at exactly 10K miles.


make the inside of your engine oil cap white.
don't use.
Re: Newest Quaker State full syn, okay for 10K mile OCI? [Re: dwcopple] #4999956 02/02/19 11:54 PM
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 25,017
StevieC Offline
Offline
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 25,017
My manual says not to exceed 16K KM (10K miles) under any circumstances. I do UOA's periodically and let that dictate what is safe and ignore the OLM.


'18 Caravan - 45k KM - AMSOIL SS 0w20, Fram Ultra, TC-W3 500:1
'06 Santa Fe - 535k KM (Retired)

There is no such thing as "lifetime" fluids! mad
Re: Newest Quaker State full syn, okay for 10K mile OCI? [Re: madeej11] #5000572 02/03/19 04:57 PM
Joined: Jan 2019
Posts: 12
LE_Oil_Guy Offline
Offline
Joined: Jan 2019
Posts: 12
I guess I'd expect a response like that from a self-described amateur gynecologist. Seriously, is this a place for professionals to share knowledge or is this a place for pretentious amateurs with internet bravado? If you already know something, then that's great, no need to pop off. But, I'm willing to bet someone who read my post learned something. In fact, the OP asked if changing the oil filter was really necessary during extended drains so its not common knowledge here at bitog. Also, in my business this discussion comes up all the time and most maintenance professionals don't know that changing oil filters during extended drains is recommended or why it's recommended.

madeej11, beating up on me is done. I made a mistake, came in too hot in my first posts, got talked to by Wayne, and am here to share knowledge on lubrication and asset reliability. I've had a few PM conversations with others also. I am not a newby to the industry and have a lot of knowledge I can share with you and others. So, how about giving me another chance and curb the flippant attitude towards me. Cheers!

Last edited by LE_Oil_Guy; 02/03/19 05:00 PM.
Re: Newest Quaker State full syn, okay for 10K mile OCI? [Re: StevieC] #5000593 02/03/19 05:21 PM
Joined: May 2013
Posts: 185
K
KevinP Offline
Offline
K
Joined: May 2013
Posts: 185
Originally Posted by StevieC
My manual says not to exceed 16K KM (10K miles) under any circumstances. I do UOA's periodically and let that dictate what is safe and ignore the OLM.



The follow your manual guideline is too simple for most people on this forum but it is a pretty safe guideline. Nothing wrong with doing UOAs and being genuinely curious about oil and engines. That is why I hang out here. I like to know how stuff works. Doing UOAs are not all that cost effective nor helpful to the general population. I think OLMs are a useful tool for all automotive owners because they can be designed to extend oil life (or shorten it) based upon use factors that we know will impact the life of the fluids. To me.... they make a ton of sense.

But yea... UOAs are even more reassurance if you are the type of person willing to delve into those details. They will catch things that a OLM won't. There is no way a OLM can catch an issue with an air filter or a coolant leak or fuel dilution caused by something other than short-tripping.

Re: Newest Quaker State full syn, okay for 10K mile OCI? [Re: LE_Oil_Guy] #5000608 02/03/19 05:36 PM
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 11,393
T
Triple_Se7en Offline
Offline
T
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 11,393
Welcome to BITOG LE Oil Guy. There's room for you here.


19' Hyundai Santa Fe 2.4 GDI - Valv Syn 5w30 / Napa Proselect filter / 6oz Liqui-Moly
20' Kia Soul X-Line 2.0 Multi-port / Factory-fill oil / filter
04' Colorado 3.5 / Castrol Edge 0W40 / K&N filter
Re: Newest Quaker State full syn, okay for 10K mile OCI? [Re: Triple_Se7en] #5000610 02/03/19 05:38 PM
Joined: Jan 2019
Posts: 12
LE_Oil_Guy Offline
Offline
Joined: Jan 2019
Posts: 12
Thanks, Triple_Se7en!

Re: Newest Quaker State full syn, okay for 10K mile OCI? [Re: LE_Oil_Guy] #5000704 02/03/19 07:33 PM
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 11,495
W
wemay Offline
Offline
W
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 11,495
Originally Posted by LE_Oil_Guy
Thanks, Triple_Se7en!

thumbsup


2018 KIA Sportage LX AWD
Shell RGT 5W30, STP S2808

2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport 2.0T
M1AP 5W30, M1-104
Re: Newest Quaker State full syn, okay for 10K mile OCI? [Re: dwcopple] #5000738 02/03/19 08:08 PM
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 3,949
D
dwcopple Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 3,949
Well, after changing the oil to the QSUD yesterday the placebo effect was unreal. The car ran amazing on this oil. Had a 70 mile one way jaunt to a volleyball tournament and it seemed a bit more responsive than on the 0w30 edge it replaced. The previous oil filter looked fine even with 10,200 miles on it.


2017 RAM Big Horn 4x4 3.6L V6
2011 Chrysler 200 Limited 3.6L V6
Re: Newest Quaker State full syn, okay for 10K mile OCI? [Re: dwcopple] #5000746 02/03/19 08:14 PM
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 11,393
T
Triple_Se7en Offline
Offline
T
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 11,393
Originally Posted by dwcopple
Well, after changing the oil to the QSUD yesterday the placebo effect was unreal. The car ran amazing on this oil. Had a 70 mile one way jaunt to a volleyball tournament and it seemed a bit more responsive than on the 0w30 edge it replaced. The previous oil filter looked fine even with 10,200 miles on it.


It's the same oil and weight I have reserved for April's OCI. I've decided to put-off the first free oil change from Hyundai Motors until November. They use 5W20 and I want 5W30 for the summer months.


19' Hyundai Santa Fe 2.4 GDI - Valv Syn 5w30 / Napa Proselect filter / 6oz Liqui-Moly
20' Kia Soul X-Line 2.0 Multi-port / Factory-fill oil / filter
04' Colorado 3.5 / Castrol Edge 0W40 / K&N filter
Re: Newest Quaker State full syn, okay for 10K mile OCI? [Re: LE_Oil_Guy] #5007561 02/11/19 01:42 AM
Joined: Jun 2015
Posts: 504
M
madeej11 Offline
Offline
M
Joined: Jun 2015
Posts: 504
Originally Posted by LE_Oil_Guy
I guess I'd expect a response like that from a self-described amateur gynecologist. Seriously, is this a place for professionals to share knowledge or is this a place for pretentious amateurs with internet bravado? If you already know something, then that's great, no need to pop off. But, I'm willing to bet someone who read my post learned something. In fact, the OP asked if changing the oil filter was really necessary during extended drains so its not common knowledge here at bitog. Also, in my business this discussion comes up all the time and most maintenance professionals don't know that changing oil filters during extended drains is recommended or why it's recommended.

madeej11, beating up on me is done. I made a mistake, came in too hot in my first posts, got talked to by Wayne, and am here to share knowledge on lubrication and asset reliability. I've had a few PM conversations with others also. I am not a newby to the industry and have a lot of knowledge I can share with you and others. So, how about giving me another chance and curb the flippant attitude towards me. Cheers!

Your 2nd ever post I believe you were telling us all why that LE brand of oil is so good. That was similar to this post in that you thought it would be some kind of revelation to us. It wasn't.

Re: Newest Quaker State full syn, okay for 10K mile OCI? [Re: Triple_Se7en] #5007645 02/11/19 07:18 AM
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,649
C
ChrisD46 Offline
Offline
C
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,649
*You may consider PP 5W30 (9.8 cst ) for winter fill and QSUD 5W30 (11 cst) for the summer fill .
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Originally Posted by dwcopple
Well, after changing the oil to the QSUD yesterday the placebo effect was unreal. The car ran amazing on this oil. Had a 70 mile one way jaunt to a volleyball tournament and it seemed a bit more responsive than on the 0w30 edge it replaced. The previous oil filter looked fine even with 10,200 miles on it.


It's the same oil and weight I have reserved for April's OCI. I've decided to put-off the first free oil change from Hyundai Motors until November. They use 5W20 and I want 5W30 for the summer months.


'17 Hyundai Sonata 2.4L GDI 5W20 QSUD / Fram Ultra #9688
'10 Hyundai Elantra 2.0L 5W30 (50%) / 5W20 (50%) QSUD / Fram Ultra #9688
'07 Kia Sedona 3.8L 5W30 Castrol EP / Fram Ultra #9999
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

BOB IS THE OIL GUY® Powered by UBB.threads™