Interior plastic scuff repair

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, everyone..

I was cleaning out my 2015 Expedition EL Limited yesterday and several of the interior, hard plastic pieces (door shrouds, etc) have become scuffed from cargo carrying...

Are there any easy repairs for such parts?

Thanks,

Not really, anything that I have tried or seen tried usually makes them worse. If they are that bothersome replacement is the only real fix.

Scrapyard replacements. 2015 might be a little too new to find in the upic yard, but those parts are not as high demand as seats or door panels.

Rent one and swap them!
28.gif

I haven't been able to do anything to completely hide these type of scuffs. I simply use 303 and buff hard with a microfiber towel.

Short answer, be careful and don't scuff them up to begin with.

Use a heat gun very carefully to remove or reduce the severity of shallow scratches in plastic. Keep sweeping the area and don't apply too much heat.

Yup heat gun (like vavaroom said) or even a butane lighter. Start GENTLE and far away and work your way in. The "scuff" is bits of plastic that have frayed upwards from the surface, so heat will melt those back into the plastic.

Originally Posted by Reddy45
Yup heat gun (like vavaroom said) or even a butane lighter. Start GENTLE and far away and work your way in. The "scuff" is bits of plastic that have frayed upwards from the surface, so heat will melt those back into the plastic.

Yes, but this will also melt the graining that is stamped in to the plastic.

Originally Posted by gregk24
Originally Posted by Reddy45

Yes, but this will also melt the graining that is stamped in to the plastic.

In case of shallow scratches, you don't need much heat to improve the appearance of scratches. Even with deeper scratches, you don't want to "melt" the plastic. You only want to soften it. You use a matching interior grain pad to emboss the desired texture. You can buy interior grain pads on Amazon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back