Shell Rotella T4 Reformulation

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's 02-03-19. I just heard Shell has reformulated Rotella T4. Has anyone else heard this? If so, do you think it's a good idea? Thoughts?

I've been a long time Rotella T4 fan in my diesels and just about any ATV or MC but I've recently heard the same thing over on many diesel truck forums. There is a ton of hatred for Rotella T4 and T6 these days. There is even a top rated Ford injector builder that specifically tells you in the instructions NOT to use Rotella oils in your PowerStroke.

I'm really on the fence, since my 05 Ford F350 has had T4 in it almost its entire life. Literally have service records showing the day it left the dealer it went in to dump the factory fill and put T4 15W40 in.

I've searched around on the internet, and I haven't found anything saying Shell has reformulated Rotella T4. If anyone has this info, please post away. From what I've read, most of the Major companies make slight changes to their formulas from time to time.

I don't use Rotella in my Semi Truck, but Rotella T4 is used by most of the Owner Operators that I've talked to. I was told by a FedEx Freight driver that their shops use Rotella T4. That one account alone has to be a very lucrative account for Shell, and I'm sure FedEx regularly runs UOAs on their fleet.

My guess is if Shell has reformulated Rotella T4, it's been done to improve it in some way. It carries every major engine manufacturer's approval for Commercial diesel engines. IMO if the new formula meets your engine's approval, use it with confidence.

Last edited:
Hi rancin4ds - We appreciate the feedback and your longstanding history with Shell Rotella T4! Rest assured that Shell Rotella T4 meets or exceeds all API CK-4 standards and the current reformulation, which was launched in August of 2016, and performs better than the previous formulation. For example, Shell Rotella T4 15W-40 delivers an average of 50% more wear protection than the API CK-4 limits. And the current formula resists oxidation up to 50% longer than the previous generation, Shell Rotella T Triple Protection, CJ-4 formulation. Additionally, we have gained the Ford WSS-M2C171-F1 approval for all of our products back in September 2017.

You can find additional information such as brochures and fact sheets here about the T4 product and the reformulation: https://rotella.shell.com/en_us/products/conventional-motor-oil/rotella-triple-protection.html.

If you have any further concerns, please feel free to reach us at 1-800-BEST-OIL. Our technical team is available to speak with you at any time.

Thanks,
The Shell Rotella Team

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back