Got Bats ???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Chris142
Originally Posted by kschachn
Are those wires not insulated?

No, transmission wires like that are never insulated.

I never knew that. Seems odd.

You're kidding? You mean all those huge transmission towers all utilize BARE wires?

Originally Posted by Driz
You're kidding? You mean all those huge transmission towers all utilize BARE wires?

Tell me you're kidding, please. The insulation radius would be enormous for 500kV (or more) as well as the weight.

Why do you think they use such long insulators between the wire and the tower?

Originally Posted by Driz
Are those wires not insulated?

No, transmission wires like that are never insulated.

I never knew that. Seems odd.

Yes. Why is that so hard to believe? Why would they need to be insulated? What purpose would that serve? So you can climb a transmission tower and grab a wire without getting electrocuted?

Originally Posted by exranger06
So you can climb a transmission tower and grab a wire without getting electrocuted?

Which you can do, sort of. Not climbing it of course, one leg on the grounded tower and one hand on the wire would be a very bad idea.

So you can climb a transmission tower and grab a wire without getting electrocuted?

Which you can do, sort of. Not climbing it of course, one leg on the grounded tower and one hand on the wire would be a very bad idea.

Yes, I know. It's basically the same as a bird sitting on the wire. Which just shows yet another reason the wires don't need to be insulated.

415V? That doesn't sound right.

Town distribution is at 415V, phase to phase, which gives 240V phase to Earth.

So our domestic house wiring is 240V, but I could upgrade to a three meter installation and have 3 phase to the house/shed....

My connection to the pole...I get three phases (plus neutral) to the eves, one phase is used for peak, one phase for off peak (got two meters, but no off peak load), one of the phases is capped, and the overhead neutral.

20190201_085703.jpg

20190201_085805.jpg

Last edited:
So you could have 415V running around in your house? Are there residential appliances/motors that run at that voltage?

You can get three phase ovens...but a lot of hobbieists want three phase in the man cave..

Funny story but I saw some apprentices replace a three phase oven (only used delta connection, so two phases, providing a two wire 415) with a single phase....when they turned it on, you could nearly read by the glow of the element.

Originally Posted by AZjeff
Is that the same kind of bat from the Mick Dundee flicks? Just looked them up, wingspan up to 1 meter??? Holy carp, I think our bats have a wingspan of 6-8 inches.

Originally Posted by thastinger
Good Lord, that looks like some land of the lost stuff...that is a big dang bat

Now imagine every evening a swarm of bats, just like that, flying to a row of moreton bay figs, literally 15 feet from your dorm balcony on the third floor.

It was a marvellous few months .

Last edited:
We came back from a Queensland holiday a week or so ago, and the place we stayed at had big trees right outside our apartment. Every night, dozens of bats would very noisily descend to feed, it was a pretty awesome sight. The kids were fascinated by them - you hardly ever see one bat in Tassie, so it was all new to them.

And yeah, probably is time to paint those eves mate
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Shannow

Town distribution is at 415V, phase to phase, which gives 240V phase to Earth.

So our domestic house wiring is 240V, but I could upgrade to a three meter installation and have 3 phase to the house/shed....

My connection to the pole...I get three phases (plus neutral) to the eves, one phase is used for peak, one phase for off peak (got two meters, but no off peak load), one of the phases is capped, and the overhead neutral.

Is it 415V all the way to the substation, or is there a stepdown bank somewhere along the way? I'm curious to know how many miles (or km
wink.gif
) 415V can run.

Tons of bats in my area. Tiny little buggers thankfully. You can watch them zip from tree line to tree line at dusk all summer snatching up little flying insects. We have had them get into the house. More than once I've gotten a frantic phone call about a bat in the house. Always at night.. always when I'm at work. LOL.

[Is it 415V all the way to the substation, or is there a stepdown bank somewhere along the way? I'm curious to know how many miles (or km
wink.gif
) 415V can run.

At the end of the street, there's a proper 3 phase, no neutral 1.1KV (I think) running over the top of the 415 three phase and neutral, that overextends the intersection by some, then drops down to 415V and radially feeds in a few different directions, including back under the 1.1KV supply.

Half a mile maybe at 415 in any direction...saw some weird 3 phase overhead swap to entwined insulated cable in the air, and back to 3 phase and neutral overhead.

The 1.1KV stuff is a mixture of overhead three phase, and underground services running up posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back