I only watch the Super Bowl for the halftime show

Status
Not open for further replies.
Many like to say they only watch the Super Bowl for the commercials, but I only watch it for the halftime show.

I'm not expecting much this year. Last years show sucked, but Lady Gaga's halftime show in 2017 was very good.

I'll watch it hoping to see the Brady bunch lose. I doubt that is going to happen though...

I don't watch football, but the commercials are always good.

The new Gladiator commercial apparently will/ is bringing some controversy. Obviously by people who've never seen Twister... Either way, I think it's creative.

If all you want is the commercials then there are youtube videos with all of them available for much less time.
banana2.gif

Originally Posted by bcossa2001
I've read that the performers pay the NFL rather than the other way around.

I don't know about that. I do know Maroon 5 would have to pay me to watch them.

Back in the days of VHS, I used to tape the game. The next day I'd fast forward through the game and watch the commercials.

Halftime shows during "the big game" are aimed at people other than myself.
The shows can be impressively sized with lots of scenic elements.
All I remember from them is that I don't like Paul McCartney and I want Leo Mars' waistline.

Years ago maybe 50% of the commercials were originals so there was a continuum of interest.
Now only a handful are.

Remember the boutique coffee company which won some competition and was awarded a halftime commercial?
The characters were Vikings in their dragon boat in a churning sea extolling the desirability of dying in battle etc.
Then at the end you saw they were in a cup of coffee which a man was polishing off.
The camera shot went into his disgusting, open, bearded mouth.
1) The powers that be shortened the commercial's air time
2) People weren't impressed with the man's hairy maw. No measurable increase in sales resulted.

I believe the business exhibited (specialty coffee) was a bad example because that sliver of the coffee business is small.
You aren't going to see a "win a free big-game commercial" contest ever again.

Many thanks for the Three Stooges pic.

Originally Posted by Bud
I never watch the halftime show.

Same here - they're usually boring. I'd rather watch the puppy bowl or something!

Originally Posted by demarpaint
I'll watch it hoping to see the Brady bunch lose. I doubt that is going to happen though...

+1. Dont like how smug he is.

Originally Posted by Rolla07

Hasn't he earned the right to be smug?

I'm an Eagles fan, btw.

Originally Posted by Rolla07

I don't know who else would have more of a right to be smug. He's got a supermodel wife and 5 super bowl rings.

Originally Posted by bcossa2001
I've read that the performers pay the NFL rather than the other way around.

They don't actually get paid. But the NFL pays for the production which could be up to 10 million or more.

Few years ago, Chrysler had that 200 commercial with Bob Dylan where in the end he said "We will build your car...".

I thought that was a pretty powerful commercial and liked it (although don't really care for Chrysler 200s).

Chrysler didn't find many people who cared for the 200s either, they killed it and the Dart within what, 3 model years of being a completely new model?

I don't watch the halftime show either. You're sure to see whoever the flavor of the month for snowflakes is, if I was at the game I'd rather find a sketchy stall to have to use than watch the halftime show.

You're in for a surprise this year. Supposedly the half time show will be very SJW.

Originally Posted by gathermewool
Originally Posted by Bud
I never watch the halftime show.

Same here - they're usually boring. I'd rather watch the puppy bowl or something!

Me too. I'm not into most of the "artists" they put on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back