Winter Tires CR Report

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was browsing through a Consumer Reports while picking some medicine. I have a 960 Volvo rear wheel drive that I run winter tires.

I currently have the General Arctic which are about 10 years old but only about 25k miles on the tires. I do like the winter performance on the snow, rain, ice but
they are noisy on dry pavement.

The top rated tires are
1. Cooper Discovery
2. Hankook winter
3. Continental winter contact

The Generals came in 6 place below the Michelin's.

Do you have any of the top 3 tires and can share your experiences.

winter tire-file-9.jpeg

I run dedicated snow tires every winter the General Altimax have served me well.Just had a blizzards a couple weeks back and the altimax had zero trouble going up hills while those with all seasons struggled. the difference between 67 and 70 is negligible at best. also ran Vredesteins a few years back and they performed like a snow tire should. Every winter tire will be noisy on dry pavement and considerably noisier than an all season.Small tradeoff for better traction IMO.

Originally Posted by LazyDog
I was browsing through a Consumer Reports while picking some medicine. I have a 960 Volvo rear wheel drive that I run winter tires.

I currently have the General Arctic which are about 10 years old but only about 25k miles on the tires. I do like the winter performance on the snow, rain, ice but

The top rated tires are
1. Cooper Discovery
2. Hankook winter

Forget Cooper and Hankook.
Hankook especially! Take into consideration that these tests are only reference to new tires. Key is how that tire is going to perform after 10k or 20k.
Safest bet in the long run is Michelin, Continental and Nokian (though i a not that happy with drop in their performance after one season).
Anyway, stay away from Hankook!

I'd read the reviews and look for anything noted as being loud--or quiet.

I suspect the differences are slight. I'd hate to make a blanket statement but almost any snow tire will be better than any all season in snow, and after 10 years, almost anything will likely be better than what you have (softer rubber, more tread).

I have a set of 5 year old iPikes on my truck, they seem ok. Wife got a set of Artics for her Camry and no complaints either.

I currently have the General Arctic which are about 10 years old
No way I'd run 10 year old tires. Experts (NTSB, industry people, etc.) say tires must be replaced every 6 to 10 years, the recomendations vary. Rubber could begin to come apart on the road.

I've got a set of Michelin Xice3 tires, and they are quality, perform well. I'm surprised CR didn't score them higher. The Hakkapealiitta scored tops at Car and Driver recenty. https://www.caranddriver.com/shopping-advice/g23898710/best-winter-snow-tires/

Originally Posted by oil_film_movies
No way I'd run 10 year old tires. Experts (NTSB, industry people, etc.) say tires must be replaced every 6 to 10 years, the recomendations vary. Rubber could begin to come apart on the road.

I've got a set of Michelin Xice3 tires, and they are quality, perform well. I'm surprised CR didn't score them higher. The Hakkapealiitta scored tops at Car and Driver recenty. https://www.caranddriver.com/shopping-advice/g23898710/best-winter-snow-tires/

I missed that part. Running 10 year old tire is hazard to everyone on the road.
I take mine off after 5, exceptionally 6 years from DOT.

Originally Posted by edyvw

The top rated tires are
1. Cooper Discovery
2. Hankook winter

Forget Cooper and Hankook.
Hankook especially! Take into consideration that these tests are only reference to new tires. Key is how that tire is going to perform after 10k or 20k.
Safest bet in the long run is Michelin, Continental and Nokian (though i a not that happy with drop in their performance after one season).
Anyway, stay away from Hankook!

The Hankook snow tires on my Subaru are horrific on hard packed snow. Dangerously bad.

tests vary depending on $$$$, some snow rated tires become all season but winter when half work. best to look at a lot of different review then decide. government mandates a lot of bull poo like TPM's but IMO real snow tires should be law in snow states during the winter months, it would prevent a lot of "lost control" reports we see in the newspaper during poor weather. many states without inspections allow drivers on the road with "baldies" not so good even in a little rain.

If you only run your tires during winter months, you will be buying new tires every 4 years is this what you do???

The DOT 10 year is 2nd week of 2020, car is driven to train station 2 miles round trip.

I do replace my all season tires every 5 years but never gave it much thought about the winter tires which a run 4 months only every year.

If you only run your tires during winter months, you will be buying new tires every 4 years is this what you do???
The DOT 10 year is 2nd week of 2020, car is driven to train station 2 miles round trip.
I do replace my all season tires every 5 years but never gave it much thought about the winter tires which a run 4 months only every year.

Tires age even when not used! The rubber gets old and should be replaced every 5-6 years from the Manufacturing date you life rides on them.

Last edited:
At a mile to the station I'd probably walk... Anyhow, how many miles are you putting on per year? They say you aren't supposed to drive on winter tires in summer, but if this is just going back and forth to the train station, all local driving with no high speed, I'd be tempted to just run snow tires year 'round. Not only that, but if it's just local work, then I'd hardly think that a 5 year old tire is just going to disintegrate and cause you to kill busloads of nuns.

If your Artics are getting thin on tread I'd probably just buy another set and keep an eye on rotations. Maybe rotate at 2,500 if you were doing 5k before. That might stave off wear induced noise. Alternatively, just build the cost into your budget, as in, just anticipate a new set of snows every 4-5 years. My household drives "lots" and I expect to buy at least one set per year (sometimes 3!).

All roads point to you replacing good condition tires to ensure tire shop profits you are safe because they turn into pumpkins the second they become seven years old. Don't think for yourself, do as you're told by industry experts.

I want you to take a look at the scores on that CR report. How often do you see a test with the results group so closely together?

I have not had them out in the snow/ice/slush yet to give an opinion about their performance in those conditions, but my Arctic 12s are most definitely NOT very noisy at all on dry pavement (maybe they addressed any noise issues of the older Arctics with the updated 12 models?
21.gif
)

In fact I am duly impressed with both their quietness, and their dry performance when pumped up to slightly higher than recommended pressures, especially for what they cost.
smile.gif

My pure summer, max performance, 200 tread wear, Federal RS-RRs on the other hand, scream like tortured banshees at any speeds above 25 MPH!
crazy2.gif
frown.gif

Originally Posted by maxdustington
All roads point to you replacing good condition tires to ensure tire shop profits you are safe because they turn into pumpkins the second they become seven years old. Don't think for yourself, do as you're told by industry experts.

If we were only talking about straight, dry roads, and a grandma driver, then sure you can maybe eek out a few more years past 5 years but with an emphasis on "few".

This topic though, is the exact opposite when the expressed need is Winter Tires, snow, ice, rain performance.

Don't worry too much about "best" tire. Get the cheaper ones (this does not mean totally ignore test results but weigh them considering these are new tire tests) because you need to change your tires out more often, so cheaper will make you feel less of a loss doing so before the tread wears out.

Cheaper winter rated tires achieve good winter traction at the expense of wear. This makes them a bad value for someone who would wear them out in 3 years but in 10, not so much. Hardening of the rubber compound is your worst enemy. Change out your tires before that gets too bad. A good winter tire is a poor winter tire when it gets to be 7 years old. If you're a really conservative driver you may not wreck or get stuck but still, you're better off getting cheaper tires and not running them after the rubber hardens, and still being a conservative driver.

Last edited:
If hardening rubber is a problem in tires what can one do to prevent this hardening? I have noticed especially Michelins gets very hard after about 4 years and micro cracks throughout the treads.
would storing the tires in an airtight container during non use periods help?

Originally Posted by Dave9
If we were only talking about straight, dry roads, and a grandma driver, then sure you can maybe eek out a few more years past 5 years but with an emphasis on "few".

This topic though, is the exact opposite when the expressed need is Winter Tires, snow, ice, rain performance.

Don't worry too much about "best" tire. Get the cheaper ones (this does not mean totally ignore test results but weigh them considering these are new tire tests) because you need to change your tires out more often, so cheaper will make you feel less of a loss doing so before the tread wears out.

Cheaper winter rated tires achieve good winter traction at the expense of wear. This makes them a bad value for someone who would wear them out in 3 years but in 10, not so much. Hardening of the rubber compound is your worst enemy. Change out your tires before that gets too bad. A good winter tire is a poor winter tire when it gets to be 7 years old. If you're a really conservative driver you may not wreck or get stuck but still, you're better off getting cheaper tires and not running them after the rubber hardens, and still being a conservative driver.
My snowies are a decade old and my car is a tank in the snow. I often drive too fast for the conditions, take corners fast , etc and get excellent grip wet, dry or in slush considering how old they are. I think one of the rears on my Dad's truck is thirty years old (original spare on a 88 GMC) and it gets heavy payloads from time to time.

Do new tires out perform old ones? Of course. Can anyone prove to what extent? Not that I have seen.
Are old tires more dangerous that new ones? Of course. Can anyone prove to what extent? Nope.
Do government safety inspections include inspecting tires for age? Not any that I have heard of.
Has anyone ever artificially aged tires to test them and settle this once and for all? No, and they never will.

No one will ever test this because the test results would cause less tires being sold. No evidence or government safety mandates = marketing wank that gets parroted constantly in mainstream automotive media.

I have studless General Altimax Arctic's (pre-12) on their 5th Winter but they are only about 4.5 years old. They were awesome when new but at 10K miles last Winter they suddenly lost their mojo on wet ice, no longer able to get up my steep driveway. I wanted to replace them but other financial priorities... now around 13K they are still doing fine on dry ice, snow and rain, and are still better than All Seasons. No way I'm running them next Winter, though. This is their last rodeo, despite some good tread depth.

Yes, road noise and tread squirm are the norm with these.

I have nothing good to say about CR's testing/scoring methodologies... if you can even grace them with that term.

In North America, drivers drive on dry roads mostly, than rain, ice and snow. Dry performance in cold weather is extremely important aspect of snow tires, and all top notch winter tires are going to have acceptable dry performance (Michelin, Continental, Pirelli etc).

Feel and science do not go together.
Cheaper winter rated tires achieve good winter traction at the expense of wear.

Partly true. Some expensive tires have bad longevity (Blizzak) due to emphasis on ice and snow performance. But, where cheaper tires always compromise is very strong forward traction in expense of braking in ice, snow and dry. To make tire with very good forward traction and good (it is obviously impossible to make snow tire good in dry as summer tire in warm temperatures) behavior in wet and dry is very expensive and some manufacturers of really good snow tires are still struggling with this (Nokian).
This makes them a bad value for someone who would wear them out in 3 years but in 10, not so much.

10 year limit was lobbied by tire manufacturers and retail industry. You go figure.
Hardening of the rubber compound is your worst enemy. Change out your tires before that gets too bad.

5 years max.
A good winter tire is a poor winter tire when it gets to be 7 years old. If you're a really conservative driver you may not wreck or get stuck but still, you're better off getting cheaper tires and not running them after the rubber hardens, and still being a conservative driver.

I would still say 5 years. I would not worry that much about 5-6 years in perfectly preserved tire. Problem is that with degradation due to time and elements, tire is exposed to all kind of other hazards (nails in tire etc).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back