Power steering fluid for 1994 E150?

Status
Not open for further replies.
, Talk about conflicting information...The dealer, based on my vin number, said my power steering originally called for Mercon fluid. There is a lot of online info, supposedly from Ford, saying NOT to use Mercon V in applications previously requiring Mercon and not to mix them.

Then there was a 2007 Motorcraft announcement saying, "Effective July 1, the production and licensing for MERCON will cease. Automatic transmissions, power steering systems and manual transmissions previously requiring MERCON must, as of July 1, be serviced with MERCON V."

All I want to do is keep my great running van in the best shape possible, for as long as possible. I typically always stick with the manufacturers recommendations. Can anyone point me to a trustworthy source to help me come up with the best fluid to flush and replace my power steering fluid? I have no idea what I have in it now.
Thanks

I actually swapped out the Mercon in my MGM's PS system to Dexron VI, it helped with my cold, noisy PS pump action. The '93 E-350 box truck we used to have lost it's PS gearbox, we actually put Type F in it & it worked fine!

For what it's worth, in my '06 F-150, I am using cheap Supertech Dexron/Mercon fluid. It works just fine and my truck calls for Mercon. Smooth and quiet and better than the gook that was in it when I bought the truck. Eventually I'll upgrade to a full synthetic, but for now I am happy.

It REALLY doesn't matter.

Pretty much ANY hydraulic fluid or ATF will work just fine in your ol' Ford.

Some Asian cars are "fussy"...... your truck isn't.

Ford did revise the Mercon V some time to make it backwards-compatible with regular Mercon

In a power steering system, it probably matters much, much less, than it would for a transmission.

Also, Ford was still using Type F in some of their PS systems at the time

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog

They used type F up into the 2000's! They must have had a bazillion barrels of type F they had to get rid of.

Originally Posted by Chris142
Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog

They used type F up into the 2000's! They must have had a bazillion barrels of type F they had to get rid of.

My 1996 Contour specs type F for the power steering and that's what I still use.

Whimsey

The banishment of old Mercon and its replacement with MerconV was universal, no?

Re my friend's '97 F-150 we serviced the transmission and topped off the power steering fluid with MerconV. This was 5.5 years ago without any problems.

RELATED QUESTION: In cases such as this (vehicle close to 25 years old), does it make any sense to flush out the old fluid with new?
No biggie, just disconnect the return line to the PS reservoir and add fresh fluid while turning lock-to-lock.

Also, are there arguments for and against using a synthetic fluid?

I had the same difficulty finding good information on the correct fluid for my 240's power steering. The owner's manual just says to use 'ATF', and some online claim that certain cars had Dex III and others had Type F and using the wrong one will kill the seals, blah blah blah...in the end I gave up and went for fully synthetic Motul Multi ATF that meets a myriad of specs and it works like a dream.

However, in your application, it seems like you'd be best off finding a brand-name Mercon equivalent fluid and just using that. A reputable oil company will likely be producing it to specification even if Ford no longer officially licenses it, and since it's what your vehicle asks for, you won't be having any sleepless nights.

Originally Posted by ka9mnx
My 93 F150 calls for Type F in the OM. I used Mercon and the pump locked up (after a couple of years).

Same here my 94 E150 manual calls for type F so not sure where op is coming up with mercon for his E150 unless ford put mercon in some of the 94 e150 and type F in others. After reading your post I'm thinking I should stick with F. I know this is a old thread but wanted to make it clear what the manual is calling for in this vehicle.

Originally Posted by R1jake
Originally Posted by ka9mnx
My 93 F150 calls for Type F in the OM. I used Mercon and the pump locked up (after a couple of years).

Same here my 94 E150 manual calls for type F so not sure where op is coming up with mercon for his E150 unless ford put mercon in some of the 94 e150 and type F in others. After reading your post I'm thinking I should stick with F. I know this is a old thread but wanted to make it clear what the manual is calling for in this vehicle.

My E-150 calls for type F. That's what I use, it is still easy enough for me to get, so no point in changing it to something else. If yours calls for type F, I'd stick with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back