I am Loving my CVT !!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by KrisZ
I would enjoy the vehicle, make sure the CVT fluid is changed regularly, 30k mile intervals seems to be a good number, and ignore all the doomsday prophecisers.

I'm regularly checking local Craigslist for some good deals and there are tons of "mechanic special" listings with broken traditional transmissions.

Drive it, maintain it and enjoy it.

Basically, I'm letting the Nissan dealership do the OEM transmission service every 30K miles. Now at 78K miles, we've done this twice now and I've also replaced the rear and center diff fluid with Mobil1 full synthetic oil - just to be safe. I also have a bumper-to-bumper 10 years/120K mile warranty when we bought the Rogue in '14. So far, so good. The Rogue has been our Grand Touring car and has been perfect for that - easy to drive, the Zero gravity seats are fantastic and easy to get into/out of.

This is my first CVT and I'm not a big fan (too "rubber-bandy" for me but workable), mainly because the 2.5L engine is SO under-powered in this car.

I wish we could get lifetime engine/transmission warranties up here. Even if all the maintenance has to be done at the dealer, I would definitely get my monies worth out of them. I would buy a CVT no problem then.
lol.gif

Almost 92k miles on our Quest cvt and no issues so far!
We bought it with 46k and I changed the fluid with oem Nissan fluid soon after getting it.
After the 60k powertrain warranty was up, I started using Amsoil cvt fluid and it has performed great.

I would reccomend fluid changes every 30k.

Originally Posted by ernied
has the Mitsubishis had any trouble with their cvt?

Mitsubishi gets their CVT from Jatco.

Mitsubishi had issues with their CVTs at first but I haven't heard of too much trouble since then from what I have read. They have long warranties so it shouldn't be concerning if you are keeping it only that long anyway.

In terms of the Nissan Murano the OP is talking about, the Murano, Pathfinder and Quest did get a different redesigned CVT starting in 2016. From what I understand, it was to address the shuddering issues earlier models had with the VQ35 engine and CVT combo. You'd think the larger, heavier vehicle and V6 engine would make for more issues, but for what ever the reason may be, the Nissan CVT failures you read about seem to be mostly on 4cyl powered models. Could it be because there's more of them out there? Who knows. What I do like about NIssan/Jatco CVTs is they tend to be much easier to do a fluid service on than say a Subaru CVT.

Starting in 2014, the Rogue had the Nissan internally redesigned CVT in place of the older Jatco versions that had so many problems. My dealers tells me to do the 30K mile fluid change (drain/fill) and we should be fine. So far, I'd have to agree thus far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back