Change MT fluid at 10K on Civic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2017 Civic Coupe base 2.0L. I did the first oil change with PP at 7K, and I'm coming right up on 10K now (there's a service bulletin that advises to leave the factory fill in as long as possible so I drew it out to when my maintenance minder hit 5%. The bulletin is from the '90s though).

I'm going to change the oil and send a sample to BlackStone. Would it make any sense to change the transmission fluid now just for kicks? Like to empty out metal shavings from the machining process or whatnot? I could send them a sample of transmission fluid too.

It's not a big inconvenience for me to do this but I'd like to know if I'm just being neurotic? It's just a basic drain and fill on the transmission. I've always used Honda OEM fluid in the transmission.

Last edited:
I had an 06 Honda Civic with a 5 speed manual and changed it at 50,000 miles. It made a huge difference and the shifting was so much smoother and nicer. I would definitely change the manual transmission fluid it at 25,000 to 45,000 miles but I think right now your mileage is a little low to make any noticeable improvement.
I like those 2016 and newer Civics they are nice and I think you did the right thing buying the 2.0L instead of the 1.5 with the turbocharger.

Change it. I've done it on mine and didn't look back. I went aftermarket fluid route and began to enjoy shifting experience sine then

I've been changing the MT oil at ~30K miles. Any longer than that and shifting issues will sneak up on you. (You won't realize how nice its SUPPOSED to shift until you get the fresh MT fluid in there.)

Agree with others, 10K is early unless its 10 years old...which your 2017 is NOT.

See how the oil sparkles when you have the oil in a pan. Break in wear.

I think there is every justification for changing fluids early on the first change definitely always more wear and junk in the fluid than the next change.. even if considerably longer.

Change it when the minder tells you to
smile.gif

Originally Posted by jharrison
I have a 2017 Civic Coupe base 2.0L. I did the first oil change with PP at 7K, and I'm coming right up on 10K now (there's a service bulletin that advises to leave the factory fill in as long as possible so I drew it out to when my maintenance minder hit 5%. The bulletin is from the '90s though).

I'm going to change the oil and send a sample to BlackStone. Would it make any sense to change the transmission fluid now just for kicks? Like to empty out metal shavings from the machining process or whatnot? I could send them a sample of transmission fluid too.

It's not a big inconvenience for me to do this but I'd like to know if I'm just being neurotic? It's just a basic drain and fill on the transmission. I've always used Honda OEM fluid in the transmission.

What is the OManual's spec for fluid?

Some of the newer trannies are using LV MTF such as the Redline MT-LV:

MT-LV

Last edited:
I used to change my manual transmission fluid every 3 years which was about 30k. I think the manual said 50 or 60k. But as stated above, it was ever so slightly smoother after changing. Definitely noticeable. I also dropped the coolant sooner. Mostly because I liked to work on it, it was easy to do, and cost about $20 for the transmission fluid and $30 for the coolant.

10k? I personally think that's a little silly.

Originally Posted by CT8
See how the oil sparkles when you have the oil in a pan. Break in wear.

It's not something I would do routinely every 10K obviously, but it's easy to do if you're already doing the oil so I figured "might as well".

Originally Posted by KrisZ
You followed Honda's recommendation with engine factory fill, so why not do the same for the transmission? Both have break in material in them.

They don't ever want you to change it. I don't buy that.

Since it's any easy & inexpensive project, I'd do it for your own peace of mind and/or to upgrade the fluid. You'll be surprised at the amount of shavings on the magnetic drain plug.

Originally Posted by Carbuff
I've been changing the MT oil at ~30K miles. Any longer than that and shifting issues will sneak up on you. (You won't realize how nice its SUPPOSED to shift until you get the fresh MT fluid in there.)

Agree with others, 10K is early unless its 10 years old...which your 2017 is NOT.

I change MT oils at 500 miles and then install a synthetic aftermarket oil at 30k intervals, since OEM oils are nothing special.

MTF's do shear the base oils and FM's over time which affects shift quality.

Last edited:
How long do you plan on keeping the car? If just to 100k miles, don't worry about it.

If you want to keep it to like 300k+, then I would do two relatively early changes (10k and 30k). At 30k, I would run a long drain MTF and change at 100k, 200k moving forward.

How long do you plan on keeping the car? If just to 100k miles, don't worry about it.

If you want to keep it to like 300k+, then I would do two relatively early changes (10k and 30k). At 30k, I would run a long drain MTF and change at 100k, 200k moving forward.

I just did the change today.

But yeah. This is my third Honda and I keep these cars essentially forever (why I got the NA and MT).

This replaced a 2000 MT Coupe I bought new that I would still be driving if I wasn't side-swiped by a tractor trailer driver that fell asleep at the wheel
frown.gif
I got pushed into a canal.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by jharrison

I just did the change today.

But yeah. This is my third Honda and I keep these cars essentially forever (why I got the NA and MT).

This replaced a 2000 MT Coupe I bought new that I would still be driving if I wasn't side-swiped by a tractor trailer driver that fell asleep at the wheel
frown.gif
I got pushed into a canal.

Did you use the Honda MTF? If so, I think that one shears pretty bad and Molakule's schedule would make sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back