Considering buying a Franz Filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: valley_ranch
I'm talking about Shearing of the additives that make~ say ~ A 5W-30 become a 5W all the time ```

Does that make sense ```

No, not at all.

Originally Posted By: valley_ranch
Brad ~ No link``` It was not a great description ~ but I have read better telling of what shearing is ```

I'm talking about Shearing of the additives that make~ say ~ A 5W-30 become a 5W all the time ```

Does that make sense ```

Have to go blow the snow ~ I'll be back~ in a bit ```

Richard

Ok, I haven't thought about that regarding to using a bypass. I will be frequently changing the filters so my oil shouldn't get a chance to shear down.

Thanks for coming back ~ I use to live in Southern California ~ I used 30W and never changed the oil ~ just added a quart at each filter change ~ ( tissue roll)

I now live in a area ~ with colder winters ~ and feel a multi oil ~ necessary ~ so ~ shearing ~ gives me something to think about ~ with the adding of a quart each change ~ maybe ~ that does it ~ like to know more of shearing ~ how fast ~ how bad ```

Richard

Last edited:
Very, VERY FEW engines "shear" an oil down to a thinner viscosity.

Oil naturally gets a "tinier" bit thinner as it ages, then starts to thicken again - FAST.

I would hope a good bypass filter can clean out all the "gunk" that makes an oil get thick.

IMHO, changing the roll every 5,000 is probably a little too often

If it still gets warm pretty fast, it's still doing it's job.
If it doesn't warm up, it is plugged - then it is time to change it.

Its cool project I enjoyed it and benefits definitely out weigh the cost. Two things that cause wear mainly...start up and not filtering down to 2-5 micron area. Its fact published few years ago from GM, that article only referenced filtration though. If you had Bypass and a oil accumulator you would effectively eleminate most all wear.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Shata
Its cool project I enjoyed it and benefits definitely out weigh the cost. Two things that cause wear mainly...start up and not filtering down to 2-5 micron area.

I dunno - in Texas I seldom have a truly "cold start"

I filter down to 5 microns absolute, so that's really "good enough".

Hi Everyone, so far so good with my bypass filter. I did have several hiccups... 1. I decided to upgrade from the old style clamp to the kind you screw in to tighten. I didn't install it correctly and when I started the engine up I puked out a lot of oil all over the ground. Grrr... user error.

And then... about 800 miles into a trip I checked the oil at a gas station and discovered their was no oil on the dipstick. The clamp had loosened up considerably, and I leaked out over 3 quarts of oil. Not enough to cause engine damage thankfully.

It is possible I didn't tighten it enough, but it appears to be loosening up as I check it frequently now, and seems to need a turn or two to snug it back up. Questions for you guys... anyone have this problem? How tight do you tighten the clamp? Is there supposed to be a locking washer or something like that to prevent it from loosing? The old style clamp has a clip that prevents the clamp from loosening... has anyone made something to prevent the new style from loosing up?

Thanks for your time,

Brad

I'm using that type clamp on one of my installations except instead of using a knob it came with a self locking 1/4” nut. It's not as convenient as the old style over center locking clamp but I've never had any issues with it.

Originally Posted By: DeafBrad
Hi Everyone, so far so good with my bypass filter. I did have several hiccups... 1. I decided to upgrade from the old style clamp to the kind you screw in to tighten. I didn't install it correctly and when I started the engine up I puked out a lot of oil all over the ground. Grrr... user error.

And then... about 800 miles into a trip I checked the oil at a gas station and discovered their was no oil on the dipstick. The clamp had loosened up considerably, and I leaked out over 3 quarts of oil. Not enough to cause engine damage thankfully.

It is possible I didn't tighten it enough, but it appears to be loosening up as I check it frequently now, and seems to need a turn or two to snug it back up. Questions for you guys... anyone have this problem? How tight do you tighten the clamp? Is there supposed to be a locking washer or something like that to prevent it from loosing? The old style clamp has a clip that prevents the clamp from loosening... has anyone made something to prevent the new style from loosing up?

Thanks for your time,

Brad

Where did you mount the filter? I mount all the Frantz on a frame or fender well and have had no issues.

Originally Posted By: A310
Where did you mount the filter? I mount all the Frantz on a frame or fender well and have had no issues.

I mounted it on a part of the frame that the radiator sits on. It is a pretty stout part of the frame. This morning I used the van so I decided to check to see if the clamp was tight. It was not and I had to give it a few cranks to make it tight.

My Franzt filters were used, so it is possible I am missing a locking washer or something....?

Originally Posted By: jacobs
I'm using that type clamp on one of my installations except instead of using a knob it came with a self locking 1/4” nut. It's not as convenient as the old style over center locking clamp but I've never had any issues with it.

I may need to do that if I cannot find a solution. I like the convenience of the knob but I do not want to junk my engine because I forgot to check the clamp to make sure it was tight.

I had some leaking also on 2500 mile trip, also user error on my part. Teflon tape wasnt right on the oil fil cap fitting made little bit of mess but nothing crazy. As far as clamp goes it definitely needs to be very tight. I had that leak like some have mentioned when I initially installed it.

Let me just say this it needs eye kept on it unlike the amsoil bypass. I kind of regret getting frantz in that aspect cause ive had amsoil kit on previous vehicle and it works perfect...granted EABP90 is also 40$ lol. You get what you pay for generally in life. Cost of ownership is higher on amsoil kit but its also very reliable....

Last edited:
Just a while ago got a 2001 Ford Lariat 5.4 engine ~ installed the Frantz (have yet to run the oil lines, waiting for the arrival of the Sandwich Adapter) had to relocate a smaller Windshield Washer Tank~ to make room for the Filter ```

Looking forward to getting this done ~ have one on each daughters cars ```

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back