Walmart batteries with 12 month warranty

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by dogememe
The one year warranty JC batteries we sell at work are the same as those one year warranty Walmart batteries... There's a reason they only have one year warranty... because they are junk! .

Yeah, don't like the JCI built batteries at all with the vent caps leaking acid, those things are a throw back to the 1970's, ugh.

The maintenance free East Penn built batteries are much better, but seem to be mostly available in the east as their main factory in is Pennsylvania.

Originally Posted by Donald
I have yet to see any Walmart battery with an indication of what company mfg it. Recently that is.

The only indication is "EP" as the first two letters of the serial number on the top of the battery. Plus no raised vent caps and an email from EP saying they supply that particular store is how I found them. Bbhero on here is who first got me on to the VP EP batteries at WM.

Further, if there's no indication it's usually an EP since JCI marks the top of their batteries is another tell.

I have yet to see any Walmart battery with an indication of what company mfg it. Recently that is.
Here all clearly marked on top label, Johnson Controls. And having looked just yesterday, unlike other comments I've read, none said made in Mexico.

Using a $50 group 65 ValuePower battery for the past 25 months, still going. The previous AAP Autocraft-Silver lasted 33-34 months, cost was around $90-something after coupon. I'm willing to try another VP when this one dies - probably either within 2 months or next December when it gets cold again.

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
So what is the expected life on a 12 month warranty battery? I am on my 2nd AC Delco " 42 month" battery in 10 years. The first one came with the truck and lasted 60 months. The 2nd one has 60 months on it and so far is fine.

So, $300 worth of batteries in 10 years. I suppose I could have bought up to 6-$50 batteries for that and had an occasional no-start in a dark parking lot outside a resturant. Of course you could have a self imposed rule to change out that $50 dollar battery every three years and pay just over $150 over 10 years. Might make sense if the they do indeed make it three years and you don't get mugged.
laugh.gif

Isn't most if not all of the extra cost in a long warranty battery just to cover the warranty? I am making the assumption that a $50 12 month warranty battery is built just as good as the $90, 42 month battery. The only difference is, the store has to reimburse you should you show up 21 months into the batteries life and give you some 50% of your money back. I don't know batteries well but I have used these cheap batteries for a long time with no issues.

Originally Posted by Char Baby
smile.gif
No, no!
I'm not saying that I would spend ~$200. I am saying that, those who don't know, don't know! And could/would spend the $200. My SIL for example. She doesn't care!

I want the BEST battery at the LARGEST discount such as with an AAP code# and some SpeedPerks Dollars. So, that the $160 battery, I can and most likely will buy for around $80-$90.

In MN, are your vehicles started when it's -40F. Ours are not but, it does get down to -15F in my area and waaaay lower in other areas of NYS such as Tug Hill or the Adirondacks .

Maybe I'm overthinking & over buying my batteries but, IDC. I sell 'em after 5 yrs for 1/2 of what I paid(with a load test reading) and buy another battery the exact same way.

I'm getting too old to be messing around with stuff like that. My knuckles, shoulder, back, knees don't work the same was as when I was young. I want stuff that works and makes me sleep at night knowing that my wife is OK too.

We don't see -40, that would only be up by the Canadian border. In the cities, maybe a couple -15's per year. Global warming has been very, very good to Minnesota. We are supposedly one of the cities most effected by global warming. I have not even started the snowblower once this year.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Sayjac
Here all clearly marked on top label, Johnson Controls. And having looked just yesterday, unlike other comments I've read, none said made in Mexico.

They use to say Johnson Controls a few years ago but not these days.

Originally Posted by philipp10
Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
So what is the expected life on a 12 month warranty battery? I am on my 2nd AC Delco " 42 month" battery in 10 years. The first one came with the truck and lasted 60 months. The 2nd one has 60 months on it and so far is fine.

So, $300 worth of batteries in 10 years. I suppose I could have bought up to 6-$50 batteries for that and had an occasional no-start in a dark parking lot outside a resturant. Of course you could have a self imposed rule to change out that $50 dollar battery every three years and pay just over $150 over 10 years. Might make sense if the they do indeed make it three years and you don't get mugged.
laugh.gif

Isn't most if not all of the extra cost in a long warranty battery just to cover the warranty? I am making the assumption that a $50 12 month warranty battery is built just as good as the $90, 42 month battery. The only difference is, the store has to reimburse you should you show up 21 months into the batteries life and give you some 50% of your money back. I don't know batteries well but I have used these cheap batteries for a long time with no issues.

Apparently you're not wrong for using these cheap/economy batteries. But, there is a difference in their inner construction. Others may be able to go into more detail or just look at a battery company website and see the cut-a-ways.

Last edited:

Easy way to identify an East Penn built battery is the fully sealed construction with no vent caps either raised or recessed.

Again, availability is regional, some stores will carry JCI built batteries, other areas like the northeast will sell East Penn.

I got 16 months out of my JCI made Froup 65 Value Power. Really wanted 24 months have it make financial sense.
Ended up getting a Everstart Maxx as a replacement. Should have done that the first time.

26 months so far on the Camry's $48.88 Walmart battery.

I'll never buy a different battery for it.

Again....for the third time..... It says it on the sticker.... EP is on it. . I will take a picture of my battery to show where to find it... Not trying to give you a hard time here. Not my intention. Just to let you know that there is a bonafide way to verify who makes certain style batteries. And it's easy too
smile.gif

One thing I bring to to the table here my friends...

The Valuepower group 24f battery is in fact... The 624fmf East Penn battery.... It weighs 41 pounds.. which verified that online information from Wally World was actually true. The online information from Wally world mentions the 624f part number and the 115 minutes of reserve capacity... Which is actually true. This makes this a great deal for a 24f battery which carries a 2 yr free replacement warranty through O Reilly's and a 3 year warranty through Federated Auto...

Last edited:
Originally Posted by philipp10
Isn't most if not all of the extra cost in a long warranty battery just to cover the warranty? I am making the assumption that a $50 12 month warranty battery is built just as good as the $90, 42 month battery. The only difference is, the store has to reimburse you should you show up 21 months into the batteries life and give you some 50% of your money back. .

The longer warranty batteries typically also have a higher CCA and reserve capacity.

The experts will have to explain how that how that relates to battery lifespan.

My wife's 2012 Verano still has the factory battery in it. If it dies I will get a middle of the road battery and hope I can get 3-4 years of it.

Too late for me at this point, but I do remember seeing some Group 35 at my local one. They were clearly marked as distributed by JCI, but made in Korea. But the only one I saw looked like the case was cracked at the top and possibly leaking a bit.

Someone posted this last year:

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...luepower-car-batteries-48-88#Post4628857

[Linked Image]

It's distributed by JCI but I was thinking maybe it could be made by another company. However, I looked up what JCI does in Korea, and they apparently have a couple of factories there making a "Delkor" brand battery sold in the Asia-Pacific region.

https://www.johnsoncontrols.com/med...n-controls-best-automotive-battery-maker
Johnson Controls manufactures Delkor batteries in South Korea, supplying maintenance-free products to automakers and retailers throughout the Asia Pacific region, including Australia, Japan, Taiwan, Malaysia, Indonesia, Vietnam, Philippines, Cambodia, Korea and the Middle East.

Originally Posted by eljefino
the general consensus is all the new charging schemes to save MPG are hard on batteries, so I can see them limiting their exposure.

I believe it. Explains why my wife got one year out of the OEM battery in her Versa.

On that note, hats off to whoever made the OEM Toyota battery in my Tacoma. It's the original from 2012, the truck gets short-tripped often and sits for weeks at a time sometimes. Never goes on a charger/maintainer, and has always started up perfectly.

I've had a Value Power battery in my old Cavalier since March of 2017, it lasted until I stopped using the car last month.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by y_p_w
Too late for me at this point, but I do remember seeing some Group 35 at my local one. They were clearly marked as distributed by JCI, but made in Korea. But the only one I saw looked like the case was cracked at the top and possibly leaking a bit.

Delkor was formerly a JV with GM making batteries for Daewoo(also another GM partnership by way of Suzuki and Holden), and they still use the old Delco Freedom sealed top design, which I thought was the best battery on the market. Honda used Delco Freedoms exclusively in US-made models and Toyota used them in the NUMMI-made Corolla/Tacoma and the Canadian-made Lexus RX while GNBs or JCIs were used in Kentucky and Indiana-built models. Deka makes a sealed-top battery but the design is probably different than the Delco-Remy/Delphi design.

Solite is the other Korean battery maker. South Korea is now the world's biggest smelter of lead.

I think I have one of the east penn ones, at least it has EP in the serial number and there are no vent caps. Purchased in January 2018.

valuepower.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back