Restore engine restorer

THis products works to restore compression and produce more power on old engine. However, it may or may not killed cat, because even on my old car, seems the cat just died itself from using normal engine oil without Restore, just half a liter consumption every 500 km from broken valve seals.

Since I've posted, I've used it on several lawnmowers. Stopped the smoking on several, smoothed it out, definitely was an improvement.

I would not use Restore in a good running engine. I would use it in a worn engine that I am unable or unwilling to rebuild, if I needed to use it for the foreseeable future. It improves compression and reduces oil burning. While it works, the truth is, it's just a band aid for engines that really need to be properly repaired or replaced.

Calling the company, it has, copper, silver, and lead. They say it's safe for catalytic converters and synthetic oil. However they don't recommend it for cars with variable valve timing as Restore is highly detergent and possibly may loosen crud, sludge, screwing up the variable valve timing. They say the variable valve timing is very sensitive.

Originally Posted by JLawrence08648
Calling the company, it has, copper, silver, and lead. They say it's safe for catalytic converters and synthetic oil. However they don't recommend it for cars with variable valve timing as Restore is highly detergent and possibly may loosen crud, sludge, screwing up the variable valve timing. They say the variable valve timing is very sensitive.

I have a feeling it won't be the "highly detergent" properties freeing something up that messes up the VVT. I have a feeling it will be the copper, sliver, and lead plugging it up. There would be no reason in the world to even consider Restore unless you had a vehicle on its last legs, burning and blowing oil with very little compression.

Restore boosted the compression in our old ford rangers 4L.... its gonna tick over 300K in a few miles and it runs nice and smooth with decent power for an old bucket. The restore does make a difference. We got about a 15# boost in compression and it evened out all 6 cyl so it runs a lot smoother.

It isnt a cure but it's a pretty good crutch.

Project Farm did a video on this product and it brought compression in his old Diesel tractor up from like 130 to 195. It had a major improvement. He tests all kinds of additives in a couple lawnmower engines he always disassembles before and after including a compression test before and after.

One product I've always seen hyped up on here "liquimoly" had absolutely no effect on any of his several tests, although he admitted maybe it needs long term use to have any effect.

I never would have expected the results he got with restore because of all the opinions I've read on here, but I'm ready to possibly try it in my old engines. The Oldsmobile has slightly low/uneven compression (between 130 and 145 psi IIRC). We checked it 12 years ago before installing in my car and again a few years ago and got basically the same results.

I got 10 years out of it without any further degradation so why wouldn't I try a product that is proving to improve compression almost immediately and lasting long term.

Oh I just realized the video posted is the one I'm talking about. It's not an "ad" though as far as I can tell after watching like 10 of his videos he doesn't seem to be biased or paid for advertising.

I am glad to see some are coming around to realize its a real and good product.

It is a shame others categorically dismiss ALL additives as "snake oils". Thats simply not true. Restore is one of the good ones.

Originally Posted by demarpaint

...I have a feeling it won't be the "highly detergent" properties freeing something up that messes up the VVT. I have a feeling it will be the copper, sliver, and lead plugging it up. There would be no reason in the world to even consider Restore unless you had a vehicle on its last legs, burning and blowing oil with very little compression.

thumbsup2.gif

My thoughts as well!

Originally Posted by gfh77665
I am glad to see some are coming around to realize its a real and good product.

It is a shame others categorically dismiss ALL additives as "snake oils". Thats simply not true. Restore is one of the good ones.

Well, it might be good in some cases, to get another year out a beater that's on the path to the junkyard anyway, but's pretty clear adding Restore to a good condition engine is either useless or harmful.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by dogememe
but's pretty clear adding Restore to a good condition engine is either useless or harmful.

How is that "pretty clear"? Source of that statement?

Restore does not harm anything. Even in older engins that still run pretty well it improves compression.

I ended up putting a bottle in my Caprice with the 305. We'll see whether I notice any difference. Unfortunately due to weather I wasn't able to do a compression test before. If I end up trying it in my summer car which I know has slightly low compression due to age, I will do a before and after compression test. The Caprice idles smooth as glass so compression is probably fairly even on all 8 cylinders, but it has pretty significant cold start piston slap, and very slight oil usage so it has some wear for sure after 233k miles.

Originally Posted by DoubleWasp
I've tested this stuff on shop engines. We had one dog that was 131-145 psi. It's 194-206 psi now.

BOOM!

Thanks for posting that!

Originally Posted by DoubleWasp
I've tested this stuff on shop engines. We had one dog that was 131-145 psi. It's 194-206 psi now.

Its hard to argue with that. That difference is significant enough that it may well be worth trying on a bone yard refugee. Nothing seems to be harmful in it like chlorinated paraffin's so no harm no foul trying it and its not some $100 a bottle snot.

I have also used this stuff in the past and it does restore lost compression to old/worn engines.
If I was unable to rebuild or replace a worn engine and needed to continue its service, I would definitely use Restore.

used it on a 72 ford courier. Ruffle every 5 to 7 thousand miles, it starts smoking. Throw in a v8 size can in a very sloppy 1.8 liter, works great.

Last edited:
Back