Plastic trim restore?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bought a kit at walmart, wipe new, haven't used it yet but was wondering who has used what and how have the results been. This exterior body cladding on one of my vehicles is getting gray and faded with age. I have used Meguiars and some other products in the past but they don't last very long and are actually just an applique. The wipe new has mixed reviews online but actually appears to change the top layer of plastic through some chemical reaction. Any thoughts?

I have not used that product, but years ago I did use something that may be similar (forget the name at the moment), was very similar to an acrylic floor shine product (Future brand, etc). It had a strong ammonia smell and you'd want a lot of ventilation and in a couple years, it turned hazy white then needed ammonia to remove it.

I would test the product on an inconspicuous area before putting it everywhere, or if you want to do a test before you bought it (too late now
wink.gif
unless unopened so it can be returned ) and happen to have ammonia lying around, you could see if ammonia solution degrades the surface.

Frankly I think the longest lasting result is going to be surface refinishing and epoxy painting it.

Originally Posted by newbe46
I use Gummi Pflege on my BMW

Gummy Pflege is for rubber seals, not for trim.

It's too late for the OP but the idea is to take care of the trim with a good uv protection product before the discoloring happens. Once that sets in, it's done. Any treatment you put on it is superficial and won't last.

I asked one of the professionals on here about it recently. Products are available online at places like autogeek.net, etc...

Originally Posted by abc123
Originally Posted by SatinSilver
Hi,

Can you recommend a good cleaner and protection for the black trim on the cowl, window moldings etc? I used some Mothers Back to Black which didn't seem to last long. Thank you,

I use Black Wow Pro and Solution Finish a lot at my shops, my own cars get Solution Finish followed by C.Quartz DLUX on top. If you can wait till the next day to top the Solution Finish, it is best. This is not cheap stuff and I don't usually post a whole lot about the products I use as many are expensive and lots of people are looking for something that will do the job on the "cheap".

I've used this company's tire and trim products and had better luck than with anything else.

https://www.autogeek.net/foreverblack.html

Though, overall, I've had the best luck with prepping and painting over black trim with aerosol trim paint. Products like Krylon Fusion (which more or less dyes the plastic) work very well.

Last edited:
For prevention in the first place , how about Lucas or Meg's Ultimate spray on waxes ?

Originally Posted by sloinker
Bought a kit at walmart, wipe new, haven't used it yet but was wondering who has used what and how have the results been. This exterior body cladding on one of my vehicles is getting gray and faded with age. I have used Meguiars and some other products in the past but they don't last very long and are actually just an applique. The wipe new has mixed reviews online but actually appears to change the top layer of plastic through some chemical reaction. Any thoughts?

I've used WIPE NEW successfully on 3 vehicles - easy, fast, and good protection. Like the way it makes the black plastic always look new.

I used Wipe New on my Mini and I was very happy with the results. It has held up very well so far.

Originally Posted by MCompact
I used Wipe New on my Mini and I was very happy with the results. It has held up very well so far.

Not surprised...works well here on multiple vehicles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back