Newest Quaker State full syn, okay for 10K mile OCI?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I picked up 6 qts for the wifes 200 last night at Meijer. I ran her last OCI 10K+ and am planning to change the oil tomorrow AM when the temps warm up here. WIll I be okay running the QS full syn for 10K miles? I bought 5w30.

I wouldn't go 10K blindly, it's quite a long time to go on any oil without a UOA. Even if the OLM says you are ok to go this long I would want some confirmation. UOA's are cheap from companies like Wix via RockAuto so I wouldn't take a chance. Just me though.

If it's not don't buy it. However run QS for 200K+ at 10K OCIs and report back.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by dwcopple
I picked up 6 qts for the wifes 200 last night at Meijer. I ran her last OCI 10K+ and am planning to change the oil tomorrow AM when the temps warm up here. WIll I be okay running the QS full syn for 10K miles? I bought 5w30.

Many here complain that its' only a 6K duration oil. I have a Dexos / SN plus jug of Ultimate Durability 5W30 that I plan on changing-out at 5K.

If I were doing 10K OCIs, I would run Mobil-1 EP, Pennzoil Ultra Platinum or Castrol Edge EP.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by The_Cams
Not familiar with your driving habits, but QS oils tend to shear.

Evidence?

Evidence is in the discussion over at the Analysis boards. That's primarily where folks here talk oil durability. Lots of pages to read at the Used Oil Analysis Board Room.

Originally Posted by StevieC
I wouldn't go 10K blindly, it's quite a long time to go on any oil without a UOA. Even if the OLM says you are ok to go this long I would want some confirmation. UOA's are cheap from companies like Wix via RockAuto so I wouldn't take a chance. Just me though.

I agree. My data, [UOA] shows a good synthetic oil, PU wouldn't get me close to a 10K OCI. I'd spend a few $$ on a UOA and be sure. Following blanket statements might get you in trouble......

Originally Posted by demarpaint

I agree. My data, [UOA] shows a good synthetic oil, PU wouldn't get me close to a 10K OCI. I'd spend a few $$ on a UOA and be sure. Following blanket statements might get you in trouble......

Yeah risking a $5-$6K engine for the sake of one low cost of a UOA is silly. You might get away with it just fine but why risk it when proof can exist.
21.gif
Again just me though...

Last edited:
Originally Posted by demarpaint

Yeah risking a $5-$6K engine for the sake of one low cost of a UOA is silly. You might get away with it just fine but why risk it when proof can exist.
21.gif
Again just me though...

Not just you, me too. I read the blanket statements for years here. In fact I wasn't much of a UOA fan, but when Pennzoil offered me the opportunity to participate in their UOA program a few years back I jumped at the opportunity. I learned from it, and was happy I never followed blanket recommendations here. My advice, if you plan on running a 10K OCI or more get a UOA it might be money well spent. You might find 10K OCI's are a walk in the park. For me they'd be a walk through a mine field.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
So Steve walked to the dealership when his Korean died?
Steve's closest walk was to a Chrysler/Dodge dealer?

Actually when it snapped I was on the side of the road and had it towed to my dads house because he has a bigger driveway than me and a lot more tools. We had a coffee and then he drove me home. (It was later by this point)

He picked me up the next day and we had a look at it and noticed the cam had snapped after about an hour of investigating. Making the call with the high mileage it had I decided to scrap the vehicle. He drove me home after we had some lunch and I walked to the Hyundai dealership blocks from my house to have a look at another Santa Fe.

So technically I did walk to the dealership after the Santa Fe died. I didn't end up buying the Santa Fe for various reasons and bought a Journey instead, 1 day later and drove it off the lot home.
I did take the bus to the Chrysler dealership though because it was a 1/2 hour walk and I'm lazy.

Last edited:
So for years on here it was shouted 5-6k on dino oil was nothing, now a 10k oil change with a quality syn is questionable. Hmmm.

So for years on here it was shouted 5-6k on dino oil was nothing, now a 10k oil change with a quality syn is questionable. Hmmm.

It's not if it's recommended by the OEM I have been doing 10K OCI for years with el cheapo conventional and it is by recommendation.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en

Many here complain that its' only a 6K duration oil. I have a Dexos / SN plus jug of Ultimate Durability 5W30 that I plan on changing-out at 5K.

If I were doing 10K OCIs, I would run Mobil-1 EP, Pennzoil Ultra Platinum or Castrol Edge EP.

+1 !

what does the factory recommend for the oil change interval?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back