thin oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
0w20 supertech in my 2001 Dakota with the 4.7. -15F and colder. Starts up just like summertime. Oil pressure no difference between the spec 5w30. Take that you thickies I dont think its going to hurt the 4.7 at all. I am an old man and drive like one also

Synthetic oil always helps the engine turning over quickly in cold weather. As long as 0W20 meets the viscosity chart in your manual (temp adjusted) you are good to go.

Originally Posted by jacobsond
0w20 supertech in my 2001 Dakota with the 4.7. -15F and colder. Starts up just like summertime. Oil pressure no difference between the spec 5w30. Take that you thickies I dont think its going to hurt the 4.7 at all. I am an old man and drive like one also

Trolling.gif
Here we go again. I'd make sure I dump the 0W20 when it gets warm.
wink.gif

Let's take a good look at oil viscosity over the temperature range. A casual look clearly indicates that a 10 viscosity oil is the same as a 40 at some other temperature.

[Linked Image]

If you knew your oil temperature, which is generally NOT CONTROLLED in common engines, you would be able to know the exact viscosity you are operating with. That stunningly cold air flowing over the oil pan is very likely keeping your oil temperature rather low, and therefore the viscosity up.

At your operating temperatures, I'll bet a dollar your "0W-water oil choice" is more viscous than 5W-40 synthetic here in a 100 degree F South Florida summer.

I'm not sure I'd choose "supertech" as a quality oil, but that's another matter entirely. Mobil 1, 0W-20 has an HTHS of 2.7 which means it retains good viscosity even at very high temperatures (150 C )

I disagree with the post above that claims additional engine wear. Your viscosity at those temperatures is likely to be sufficient.

I wouldn't recommend running a thinner oil if it's not required by the manufacturer. If anything add some MMO to thin it out some or get yourself an oil pan heater.

Originally Posted by ARB1977
I wouldn't recommend running a thinner oil if it's not required by the manufacturer.

If anything add some MMO to thin it out some

You realize those two statements are contradictory, right? Why is it not advisable to run a thinner lubricant, unless you self-create the thinner lubricant by diluting it with mineral spirits? Surely a fully formulated lubricant of lower viscosity is going to offer more predictable behaviours than a heavier lubricant dosed to be thin in this manner
21.gif

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
I wouldn't recommend running a thinner oil if it's not required by the manufacturer.

You realize those two statements are contradictory, right? Why is it not advisable to run a thinner lubricant, unless you self-create the thinner lubricant by diluting it with mineral spirits? Surely a fully formulated lubricant of lower viscosity is going to offer more predictable behaviours than a heavier lubricant dosed to be thin in this manner
21.gif

The thinner oil component added will burn off gradually, and the hope is that it will disappear as warmer days take over later. Others have noted that natural fuel dilution during winter "automatically" lowers viscosity in cold weather, only to recover more viscosity as it burns off as the weather warms up. If you can't count on fuel dilution, as it varies by engine and driving style, then MMO or SeaFoam or Gumout Multi might help lower viscosity temporarily for you in cold weather.

Originally Posted by CT8
0W-30 will give you protection from -40 to 100*f

But Supertech does not make a 0w-30.
laugh.gif

I would have no issue running a 0w-20 in those temps there right now.
Summertime down here, probably not either, the 4.7 is not know to have lubrication issues, is it?
There are motors like the Ford truck 4.6/5.4 2v that were originally spec'd for 5w-30 when they came out in '96, but were back spec'd to 5w-20 with no changes to the motor and no damage running 5w-20.

So your strategy is to go down in weight with an older high mileage application, got it.

I also have an 01 Dakota but with the 3.9L. It specs 5w-30 and currently has Mobil 1 5w-30 in it. It is stored outside.

I was planning on not using it at all during this cold snap, but I started it last night at 5F to bring the trash cans up the treacherous, icy slope I like to call a driveway.

It started right up, same as on a summer day. Power Steering was stiff!

My conclusion- engines start easier in cold weather with a synthetic in the sump.

Originally Posted by oil_film_movies
Originally Posted by OVERKILL

21.gif

The thinner oil component added will burn off gradually, and the hope is that it will disappear as warmer days take over later. Others have noted that natural fuel dilution during winter "automatically" lowers viscosity in cold weather, only to recover more viscosity as it burns off as the weather warms up. If you can't count on fuel dilution, as it varies by engine and driving style, then MMO or SeaFoam or Gumout Multi might help lower viscosity temporarily for you in cold weather.

This philosophy certainly hinges on a lot of "if's" and "should's" via the process of diluting a fully formulated lubricant with something that isn't one
21.gif
I also don't think we can draw parallels between diluting a fully formulated lubricant with kerosene and using a fully formulated lubricant that simply leverages thinner base oils. One we know the physical properties of, the other, we are apparently making a WAG and counting on what, temperatures staying low to retain the effects and the oil getting hot enough to disperse it later on? What happens if you get a warm spell? You lose the cold temp "advantage"? Seems pretty hokey to me.

Originally Posted by rideahorse
If thin oil is so perfect. Then why don't they just make a straight 0w oil. BECAUSE it is not as good. It sacrifices the longevity of the motor.

There's no such thing as a "straight 0w" oil.

Originally Posted by rideahorse
If thin oil is so perfect. Then why don't they just make a straight 0w oil. BECAUSE it is not as good. It sacrifices the longevity of the motor.

The number in front of the W is the Winter rating of the lubricant, that's why there is a range of lubricants with various hot viscosities that meet it. There is currently a 0w-8 for example.

Now, back in the day, they did in fact formulate oils of varying viscosities that just met the Winter rating, like an SAE 20W, but these were usually more like a 20w-20 or a modern 20w-16 if such a beast existed, because base oil quality wasn't at the level it is now where a 5w-20 for example can be easily blended with group III and a splash of PAO, and a 0w-20 could conceivably be blended with straight PAO.

The 4.7 is known for sludge if oil not regularly changed. 3000 is the recommendation. Book says 5w30 oil for my year. Newer ones with the 4.7go with a 5w20. From what I have read the recommendation for all 4.7 is now 5w20. Just trying to stir the pot on Friday. The thick thin always does the trick. Ill likely switch back to a 5w30 or 0w30 when summer comes who knows.

While -7F is not "cold" compared to lots of the country, it's cold for us. With Mobil 1 5W-30 our 2017 2.3EB Explorer started right up without any difference compared to summer. Maybe the "synthetic" of the same viscosity as conventional or synblend does start easier in real cold temps.

Whimsey

Just trying to stir the pot on Friday. The thick thin always does the trick.

Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back