Has anyone had oil-related issues during the polar vortex?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Gokhan
Well, it could be (1) a PS fluid that is in a really bad shape, (2) leaks in the system, or (3) a low PS fluid level. It was (3) in may case and it happened in cold days and cold starts. Interestingly, the PS fluid was never changed in my car in 34 years -- it would definitely be good to change it though but it's a messy job with the hoses in all the unreachable places and I don't want to do it.

Don't you think the poster, having a leak and running out of fluid would have attributed the noise to THAT not the ambient and old fluid ?

Originally Posted by Shannow
Don't you think the poster, having a leak and running out of fluid would have attributed the noise to THAT not the ambient and old fluid ?

You had already made that point.

Originally Posted by Shannow
I'm pretty sire that the poster would have known if he was running of oil.

And having initially (incorrectly) asserted it you re stated it in points 2), and 3) of your potentials for what he experienced.

Has anyone had any oil-related issues during the polar vortex, like difficulty cranking? A 5W-30 probably can take -30 °F but don't you wish you were running 0W-xx?

I've been fine, although our winter has oddly enough been better than most who got hit with this lately. In any case, I've had no problems with a 5w-XX for as long as I've been driving, and only did a 0w-XX a few times. I might have noted before that anecdotally, the 5w-30 HDEO seems to crank a little more readily than the 5w-40 HDEO, but that's not a huge difference nor unexpected.

Snagglefoot, that's the Pennzoil 0w-30 Caterham was recommending I try in the G37 when that oil first came out. It certainly was and is worthy of consideration, and would meet my specifications, but back then, one litre bottles only were available, and that, particularly from CT, does not a cheap oil change make.
wink.gif

Originally Posted by E365
5w-30 synthetic (Castrol Edge EP) is surprisingly thicker to pour vs 5w-20 synthetic (Formula Shell) in this video at -26F. 5w-20 wasn't much different than 0w-20.

Based on the cold cranking CCS numbers the temp would have to be in the -31 F range before the difference between 0w20 and 5w20 would be obvious. Close but not quite cold enough in the video.

Has anyone had any oil-related issues during the polar vortex, like difficulty cranking? A 5W-30 probably can take -30 °F but don't you wish you were running 0W-xx?

Meanwhile, we were having a heat wave with the temperatures in the 80s here but we had a thunderstorm with heavy rain this morning.

Only diesel fuel issues.

Originally Posted by ekpolk

Nope, not me either, thanks to living in South Florida. I almost had to put a jacket on the other day. Thank goodness I've got 0w-20 in the Prius...
laugh.gif

I'm heading to Orlando tonight, keep some warm weather ready for me
smile.gif

Asked a buddy in MN who was seeing -32F (by his vehicle) if he was having trouble starting, he was fine with 0W20.
His car is garaged at home, but the daytime temps have also been abysmal and he's had no issues.

I'll have to ask my BIL in WI if he had any trouble with the fleet of cars he maintains for his family, I'd bet anything that he runs 10W30...all the people I know who are still in Chicago are rich and certainly don't do their own car maintenance.

No, not even in -35F+/- when I'd visit my cousin in the Adirondack mountains. That was long before the days of 0W-anything.

Originally Posted by Michael_P
Started my 97 F150 4.6 with 301,000 miles, original engine and transmission in -9F. The engine (M1 0W30), trans (Amsoil ATF) and diff (Amsoil Severe Gear 75W140) were fine but the power steering sounded like a mashed cat for the first 20 seconds. Later that day, I vac'd out the reservoir and the lines leading to the power steering pump. I replaced it with Super Tech low viscosity ATF. The next morning it was -5F, but no power steering noises.

Ford PS pumps are notoriously noisy when the fluid gets old (and thick). I have used M1 ATF or AMSOIL ATF in them, which would typically rectify it.

I bought a 2015 Elantra monday before the "polar vortex" hit. It stressed me out having no idea anything about the cars service history going into such a tough time. The lowest temps we saw were -29F, high on wednesday was -15F. But even though it was parked outside it started. Not always on the first try, but it started.

Thanks OVERKILL. I should have known this seeing I bought this truck new in 1996. I have done a few PS fluid flushes, but its been about 10 years since my last one.

Originally Posted by Michael_P
Thanks OVERKILL. I should have known this seeing I bought this truck new in 1996. I have done a few PS fluid flushes, but its been about 10 years since my last one.

That'd definitely do it!

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
Oh,oh. Round two for Winnipeg next week. Also Calgary is going to -29 C on Super Bowl Sunday. .

We are on a rollercoaster ride here. We've had 3 days now where it hasn't gone over -15C and has been -20C to -22C overnight. But then it's going up to +5C on Sunday and +8C on Monday! But by next Friday it'll be cold again (not as cold as this week though)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back