1996 Mustang 4.6 DOHC Wix oil analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did my first oil analysis, this is on a 1996 Mustang Cobra 4.6 DOHC that doesn't get driven much (338 miles this past year). The oil was in service for one year. I was mainly concerned about the TBN to see if it would be good for another year, the oil from the report appears almost new, so it looks like I'll test it again after two years. Does this sound like a good plan? I'll probably change the filter at the 2 year mark as well.

All wear levels appear within acceptable limits for first sample. Silicon level (dirt/sealant material) satisfactory. Water content acceptable. Viscosity within specified operating range.

Action: Resample at next recommended interval to monitor and establish wear trend.

Capture.JPG

Last edited:
Fine for 2 years filter and oil.

My dad's Ford Ranger that is used for dump runs and light hauling gets driven a bit more than yours and the oil is changed by the mileage which is usually every 2-3 years, he did the same with his RV which was low miles per year. No issues.

Originally Posted by Donald
Silicon seems high for 338 miles.

Ya it does. Check the air intake for a leak. I ran my Lightly used Peterbilt for 3 years on Supertech oil. I was still almost new after the 3rd sample. I sold the truck with that oil still in it.

If your annual miles are 500 or so, then I'd say 4 years is an easy target, and possibly 5. Don't worry about TBN/TAN; with such low miles it will never be an issue, and there's no proven correlation between those and wear in modern engines. I've routinely run 3-5 year OCIs on some of my lower-use vehicles and the UOAs have proven to me it's not worth the worry. 5 years would be a max for a cellulose based filter. If you use a syn media filter, it would be a no-brainer.

I would run that Mustang more often. Cars hate to just sit. A lot of other things will deteriorate along the way just sitting.

Someone on here has the same sump fill in their big-block suburban for over 5-6 years now.

Oil typically DOES NOT go bad from staying in the engine oil pan.

I had a 96 Cobra as well, and I agree. Those things LOVE to be driven, and driven hard. I owned mine for about 14 months and put 46,000 miles on it. It ran 13.30s@106 stock on the factory BFGs and I could even finagle a 1.70 60' out of it on a good track like at Englishtown. It also would easily knock down 30mpg on the highway with the cruise set at 70. I miss that car.

I'd make sure to start the car at least once a month and let it run for a little, I personally would worry some about the steel parts in the engine starting to get some surface rust, so starting and idling it for 10-15 minutes a month will ensure a fresh coat of oil on all the parts, but can contribute to some fuel dilution if its a short run time (like short-tripping does). Really, I'd say you owe it to yourself and the car to give it at least a 30 minute drive once a month in the nice months, and then maybe when putting it away for winter use a fogging oil from Amsoil or something like that. But I'm likely a little anal on my performance cars. You may not start it and never have a problem! Nice car!

1996 was a good year for the Mustang line. Maybe not the fastest trick cars out there but my GT has been a great vehicle!

Originally Posted by kevmor99
I did my first oil analysis, this is on a 1996 Mustang Cobra 4.6 DOHC that doesn't get driven much (338 miles this past year). The oil was in service for one year. I was mainly concerned about the TBN to see if it would be good for another year, the oil from the report appears almost new, so it looks like I'll test it again after two years. Does this sound like a good plan? I'll probably change the filter at the 2 year mark as well.

All wear levels appear within acceptable limits for first sample. Silicon level (dirt/sealant material) satisfactory. Water content acceptable. Viscosity within specified operating range.

Action: Resample at next recommended interval to monitor and establish wear trend.

Is that the $10 Wix UOA sample kit? If so, I'm fine with the results and will use them in the future.

I need to order a pump first. I'm looking at the one from Blackstone for about $16.

Drive it for a 50+ mile run once in a while it will only help to lubericate everything and it's better for your car. Other than this the UOA looks good no need to change.

Unless it's left with alot of fuel in it, what will make the oil go bad just sitting? Extreme hot or cold? Just wondering is all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back