You know you have too much oil when...

Status
Not open for further replies.
You find oil in your garage that you did not know you had and don't remember buying.

Today I was cleaning some shelves and moving my oil stash from one part of the garage to another and while doing so, I found two 1 gallon jugs of Delo 400 XLE 10w-30.
confused2.gif

I apparently bought it at Walmart for $4/jug at some point in time.
21.gif

So my stash went from 29 gallons to 31 gallons.

Decided to do a oil change in the Santa Fe with it, so back to 29.5 gallons of oil.

I know there are a bunch of joke responses to this question, but also some serious ones that are slightly humorous (like your shelves start to sag from the weight of the oil (mine did, had to brace them), you have a spreadsheet to track you oil stash (I do, updated it today), you change oil at 2000 miles just because (yup, did it today), etc).
Anyone else?

And no, I don't have a problem, and I really don't have too much oil (but I DO NOT need to buy more oil, need to keep telling myself that).
If you don't have a stash, I don't want to hear "my stash is Walmart" or other stupid comments, that is not what this thread is for.

Originally Posted by blupupher
I know there are a bunch of joke responses to this question, but also some serious ones that are slightly humorous (like your shelves start to sag from the weight of the oil (mine did, had to brace them).
Please tell me you got a pic of that! I hope you braced them with jugs of oil!

I used to go with 3-6 gallons and a few quarts. Now I don't feel comfortable without 15-30+ gallons. It just makes sense to stock up when I find a good deal. And if I can't find a deal for a good long while........no biggie
grin2.gif

Originally Posted by maxdustington
Please tell me you got a pic of that! I hope you braced them with jugs of oil!

Nothing fancy, just a piece of 2x2 under the sag and screwed into place.
This is an older pic that shows the fix (although I did have to replace the top shelf, it had cracked).
[Linked Image]

Previous owner used particle board for it, but did paint it, so it has held up pretty well.

Originally Posted by rooflessVW
I put a stop to it when I ran out it shelf space...

And then I bought another 46 quarts.
crazy2.gif

That just means you need more shelf space (or clean out some junk to make more room for oil).

Originally Posted by HighbrowHillbill
I used to go with 3-6 gallons and a few quarts. Now I don't feel comfortable without 15-30+ gallons. It just makes sense to stock up when I find a good deal. And if I can't find a deal for a good long while........no biggie
grin2.gif

I agree. Some say it is a waste and not worth it.
For me, my average cost is $1.12/qt, with the majority being synthetic (only 2 qts conventional).
I was also looking at upcoming oil changes, and have 27 qts that will be used in the next 2-3 months. I just have to decide what vehicle gets which oil (have a column in the spreadsheet for that too).
With my 4 vehicles plus the 3 others I change oil in, it adds up quick (37 qts for all 7 vehicles, plus 3-5 qts top off between 3 of them, I use around 65 qts a year). I figure I have about 2 years of oil changes in stock right now for all of them (except my bike, I have about 5 years worth of oil @ $1.75/gallon (the Peak 15w-40 blend in the pic).
Dang it, I need more oil...
thumbsup2.gif

Im cleaning out my stash with a plan to never buy a stash again. I'd rather have ONE oil change on the shelf for each engine I own. Use up the oil, replace it. Just keep enough in stock for the next oil change. Thats my 5 year plan at least.

I wonder sometimes why I have an oil stash at all, could I not afford an oil change once when I was a teenager 40 odd years ago, and that incident left a mark on my psyche?
crazy.gif

I have enough oil for thirteen changes, all bought on sale. This is for three cars, plus one change for my bike. At this point it does seem like a bit much though. I write the month and year of purchase on each jug with a marker, and use the oldest ones first. I have a filter to go with each change as well.

I'm looking to reduce the stash, it takes up too much space, and deciding which oil to use in which car at what time of year is kind of a nuisance. I'm thinking now that one or two changes for each car will be plenty (that is until I start shaking when I see the next sale)
lol.gif

I miss the gold QSUD jugs.

I have about 26 gallons of oil but mine are all gallon, 5 qt, 5L, and 2.5 gallon jugs, and I will keep a partial new jug on the shelf rather than store quarts, because then the gallon+ jug is useful for old oil or other disposal.

If you count used oil, I added a high-school fundraiser 5-gallon detergent bucket so I don't have to make a trip to the parts store on every OCI if I don't want to- plus the pull-out spout makes it super simple to pour into the oil drum at AZ!
smile.gif

I usually stock up every 2 years after the stash depletes. Had to time it with black Friday or boxing day sales in Canada.

I used to have 5w-20 and 5w-30, now I'll run 5w-30 in both vehicles. Stash is 5 jugs of VWB & 1 Jug of shell conventional 5w-30. I won't get more than that since oil prices in Canada as great as when you guys get the clearance stuff of a buck a quart or less.

You know you have too much oil when you drop a 5 quart jug on the floor and don't notice it has a very, very small pinhole in the bottom. A week later you notice a little leak coming from somewhere. A half hour later you finish wiping up the mini exon Valdez oil spill and finally determine which jug is leaking. After cleaning the shelf and about 20 jugs of stash you are good to go again. Then, you didn't learn your lesson so you continue to buy oil on sale and "keep on stacking."

Originally Posted by blupupher
You find oil in your garage that you did not know you had and don't remember buying.

Today I was cleaning some shelves and moving my oil stash from one part of the garage to another and while doing so, I found two 1 gallon jugs of Delo 400 XLE 10w-30.
confused2.gif

I apparently bought it at Walmart for $4/jug at some point in time.
21.gif

So my stash went from 29 gallons to 31 gallons.

Decided to do a oil change in the Santa Fe with it, so back to 29.5 gallons of oil.

I know there are a bunch of joke responses to this question, but also some serious ones that are slightly humorous (like your shelves start to sag from the weight of the oil (mine did, had to brace them), you have a spreadsheet to track you oil stash (I do, updated it today), you change oil at 2000 miles just because (yup, did it today), etc).
Anyone else?

And no, I don't have a problem, and I really don't have too much oil (but I DO NOT need to buy more oil, need to keep telling myself that).
If you don't have a stash, I don't want to hear "my stash is Walmart" or other stupid comments, that is not what this thread is for.

When you start threads like this one?

Originally Posted by FordBroncoVWJeta
^ blupupher How did you come across that ecobox.

Walmart.com occasionally messes up and allows regular people to order them.
Most of the time they get canceled, but every once in a while they will process through.
Best part was it was

Originally Posted by bubbatime
Im cleaning out my stash with a plan to never buy a stash again. I'd rather have ONE oil change on the shelf for each engine I own. Use up the oil, replace it. Just keep enough in stock for the next oil change. Thats my 5 year plan at least.

I can understand that.
If I ever get my stash down, my plan is to eventually just use Walmart as my stash. The ST oils are good oils for a good price and readily available.
Problem is, with some of these clearances stacked with rebates, they literally pay me to buy the oil.

Originally Posted by carviewsonic
I wonder sometimes why I have an oil stash at all, could I not afford an oil change once when I was a teenager 40 odd years ago, and that incident left a mark on my psyche?
crazy.gif

I have enough oil for thirteen changes, all bought on sale. This is for three cars, plus one change for my bike. At this point it does seem like a bit much though. I write the month and year of purchase on each jug with a marker, and use the oldest ones first. I have a filter to go with each change as well.

I'm looking to reduce the stash, it takes up too much space, and deciding which oil to use in which car at what time of year is kind of a nuisance. I'm thinking now that one or two changes for each car will be plenty (that is until I start shaking when I see the next sale)
lol.gif

I wonder at times as well.
I had a nice stash shortly after I signed up here, had a shelf full of German Castrol (the "good" green stuff) as well as a bunch of Valvoline Maxlife and Durablend, with a bit of Mobil 1 thrown in. It was used/sold till I had just a few qts of oddball oil, then it started growing again. This last round at AAP (The cheap M1 AP and such that they had) I only took a look at the local store by me when I was returning some brake pads, they had none, and I was fine with it.
They way I look at it, I don't really have any hobbies or "stuff" I spend my money on (ie guns, cars, and the other manly pursuits), so I waste it on a commodity that I will eventually use, and it does save me money in the long run. Storage is not really a concern for me at my current level (or even a little more). Having a garage does make a big difference.
I like trying to decide what oil to use next. Part of my current re-orginization is grouping oil by the vehicle it will be used for. I have decided the 0w-20 is for my Scion, 0w-20 HM for my F150, 5w-20 HM is for BIL F150, 5w-20 is for sisters Santa Fe, 5w-30 is for mom's Saturn, 10w-30 and 5w-40 are for my Santa Fe, and 15w-40 is for the bike.
That way it is just a matter of picking the oldest oil from that to use next.

I wasn't able to catch any of the good sales at the end of last year. Kinda bummed about that one.

Granted, I haven't used anything from the last time I bought a ton. But , still. I like to stockpile cheap commodities

I keep a spreadsheet listing every quart of oil I have, including the date it was bought. I think I have about 120 or 130 quarts or so, right now. Annoying.

Its much easier to pull up the spreed sheet, so I can decide what oil to use in what car for the next oil change, than to go out in the garage and rifle through the shelves to see what I have and what viscosities I have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back