04 Corolla 196k valvetrain pics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks good
thumbsup2.gif

The odometer will stop at 299,999 anyway
mad.gif

Originally Posted by WyrTwister

How is valve clearance adjusted on that engine ? Do you change shims ?

No shims, just the buckets that would have to be replaced on this engine. Those clearance numbers were actually fine IMO.

Guessing the buckets are between the can lobe and the top of the valves ? Like an upside down lifter ? Hydraulic or mechanical ? Are they avalable in different " lengths " to compensate for wear ?

Please forgive my ignorance , I am more familiar with push rod engines , than overhead cam engines .

Originally Posted by Cressida
Originally Posted by WyrTwister

How is valve clearance adjusted on that engine ? Do you change shims ?

No shims, just the buckets that would have to be replaced on this engine. Those clearance numbers were actually fine IMO.

Thanks. How far would you let them go before adjusting? I imagine the clearances will increase over time on this engine.

Hello All. zorobabel, thank you for the pics and the explanation of what you have been doing and telling us what oil you're using.

zorobabel, I cannot help you. I do however hope you might help. You have a picture of a page of what looks like a text book. What is that book? I'd like to find a book like this for my particular engine the 2.4l dohc dodge.

Congrats on getting to that mileage.
J

Originally Posted by dummyoil1
Hello All. zorobabel, thank you for the pics and the explanation of what you have been doing and telling us what oil you're using.

zorobabel, I cannot help you. I do however hope you might help. You have a picture of a page of what looks like a text book. What is that book? I'd like to find a book like this for my particular engine the 2.4l dohc dodge.

J

The page is from the factory service manual. You might find one for your car if you search enough, maybe try a forum dedicated to your car. You might also find "aftermarket" repair manuals (like Haynes) for purchase.

Originally Posted by zorobabel
Originally Posted by dummyoil1

J

The page is from the factory service manual. You might find one for your car if you search enough, maybe try a forum dedicated to your car. You might also find "aftermarket" repair manuals (like Haynes) for purchase.

Ok, thank you very much

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
Looks good
thumbsup2.gif

The odometer will stop at 299,999 anyway
mad.gif

Mine did just that!

So that's what an '04 looks like under the VC? My '04 has 366K now, I wonder what it looks like?

Thanks for stopping by grampi.
Does your VC gasket not leak?
I've always imagined you fixed/replaced your odometer.

My car hasn't leaked a drop of anything the whole time I've had it. Never replaced odometer, I now keep track of my mileage with the trip meter...

Originally Posted by grampi

My car hasn't leaked a drop of anything the whole time I've had it. Never replaced odometer, I now keep track of my mileage with the trip meter...

I see you stayed frugal.
This Corolla (my wife's car) never leaked a drop on the ground either, in fact most of the oil pan is dry. But oil was seeping from the tensioner O-ring and VC gasket, starting to make a mess (I didn't want my bitog card voided).
Is the VC gasket area dry on yours? I would be surprised, since the gasket I took out was brittle. My original plan was to open the valve cover, take pics, run Rislone for 5k, open valve cover again, observe results and replace the gasket; but the old gasket was too brittle, so I abandoned the plan.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by grampi

I see you stayed frugal.
This Corolla (my wife's car) never leaked a drop on the ground either, in fact most of the oil pan is dry. But oil was seeping from the tensioner O-ring and VC gasket, starting to make a mess (I didn't want my bitog card voided).
Is the VC gasket area dry on yours? I would be surprised, since the gasket I took out was brittle. My original plan was to open the valve cover, take pics, run Rislone for 5k, open valve cover again, observe results and replace the gasket; but the old gasket was too brittle, so I abandoned the plan.

Yes, mine is completely dry...

I would have expected less varnish/whatever with synthetic for that long, particularly the infamously claimed best cleaning Pennzoil. I may have looked at too many 'exceptionally clean' engine pics though.

Originally Posted by Silver
I would have expected less varnish/whatever with synthetic for that long, particularly the infamously claimed best cleaning Pennzoil. I may have looked at too many 'exceptionally clean' engine pics though.

Many of those super clean engines had synthetic from the start, and 5k miles OCIs. Hard to say if synthetic cleaned anything without removing the valve cover 120k miles ago. I do remember carbon/varnish bits being caught in some of the filters I've opened.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back