Seeking UOA Lab for Particle Count (PC) analysis (not Blackstone)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm geetting ready to install a bypass filter and I'd like to perform a PC on the oil before the install (approx 1,200 miles into a run on fresh lube) and prior to the first UOA. So I'm seeking a lab to just perform a PC without a full analysis, or a lab for full analysis with PC at a cost lower than Blackstone as I don't really want to pay for the full report plus PC on an oil with only 1,200 miles on it and the full price again in another 2,000-5,000 miles.

If anyone has a lab they recommend and the associated costs I'm all ears.

For reference BS charges $25 for PC in addition to the normal analysis cost $28, so $53 for UOA w/PC w/o TBN, UOA, PC, TBN would be $63.

Last edited:
I have used Caterpillar dealer labs from NY to California over the years and they are all very similar in their testing, reports and pricing. Some are better value than others, but if you have a Cat dealer close by, I'd give them a call. I have switched to my (somewhat) local dealer because I like being able to drop off the samples and they usually have quick turnaround time for the results.

Milton Cat (that covers upstate NY and Massachusetts) charges 18.99 for a basic UOA/VOA that includes oxidation, nitration and sulfation. The VOA includes particle counts for the standard price. TBN/TAN are something like $8 each extra, but I haven't asked what they charge for PC on used oil samples.

That's all I've got for ya.

FWIW, when I tested my transfer case and rear diff at Cat, they included PC on those for the base price of $18.99. No extra money for gear box samples. I doubt that they would charge more than $10 to get a PC on used engine oil.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by DuckRyder
I think your Blackstone pricing is low, seems like the last one I had done with PC/TBN/TAN was closer to 100.

Actually scratch that, I was thinking of the one before where I sent 2 samples, $63 is correct.

FWIW I don't think ALS (NAPA) will do PC on used engine oil... They told me a while back they did not have that equipment.

Originally Posted by shanneba
Blackstone only charges $15 for a PC if done with a standard UOA.

Total price is $43.

"We don't charge the full $24.00 for a particle count when you're getting an oil sample done - your
total cost will be only $43.00."

You can contact them to confirm- https://www.blackstone-labs.com/contact/

Thanks for the info, I've had PC done by Blackstone in the past but didn't have an itemized bill so I was unsure of the cost.

I bought 15 prepaid CAT SOS sample kits off eBay for $9ea shipped to the door that include ICP and PC in the price. So I'll be using those for the PC data collection.

Direct message me, I can do it at no cost for something like this.
Cant do everyone's but for doing testing similar to what I'm doing to my truck i can run a few.

TestOil in OH will do a PC alone for $20. PurpFox's offer sounds better though
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back