2019 Escape 1.5L No Engine Cover?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've never owned a car with a traditional cover. Maybe just a plastic cover for the spark plug holes/wires, but that's about it. I've seen plastics used to route cables/wires to prevent direct contact with metal, but that's about it.

My car's 1.6 EcoBoost came with one from the factory, took it off once home from the dealer the first time, and it has not been back on since, even in the winter.

Sitting in the basement with a thick coat of Aerospace 303 on it, in a box.
wink.gif

From Ford:
SSM 47611 - 2019 Escape - 1.5L EcoBoost - Deletion Of Engine Cover
On 2019 Escape vehicles equipped with a 1.5L EcoBoost engine the engine cover has been deleted. The vehicle is not mis-built. The addition of any parts would not be considered a warrantable repair. Do not submit a claim for this condition.

APPLICABLE VEHICLES
2019 TRUCK: M2 C520N ESCAPE

Originally Posted by hpb
It's to save money. Owners never look under the bonnet anymore, so no need to make it look pretty.
Some makers used to try to make the engine look pretty with fancy valve covers and air cleaner housings---even on my Mazda. Those probably added more cost than a non-functional plastic tophat.

My Santa Fe has one, it is filled with expanding foam, so I am guessing it is for sound deadening, as well as making it look a little prettier under there. My Scion just has a plastic cover to keep it looking pretty.
Nothing on my truck.

Originally Posted by dave1251
Save a few pennies and make it a little easier for maintenance.

The cover on these engines simply sits in place. Not a single fastener involved so it's not related to ease of maintenance. It is most likely a cost issue.

I will say that the engine (the same 1.5L EB) is noticeably louder without it on. The hood provides even more sound reduction. Can't say what it sounds like with no engine cover but with the hood closed though. Could be just fine...

Originally Posted by bdcardinal
From Ford:
SSM 47611 - 2019 Escape - 1.5L EcoBoost - Deletion Of Engine Cover
On 2019 Escape vehicles equipped with a 1.5L EcoBoost engine the engine cover has been deleted. The vehicle is not mis-built. The addition of any parts would not be considered a warrantable repair. Do not submit a claim for this condition.

APPLICABLE VEHICLES
2019 TRUCK: M2 C520N ESCAPE

Any word on other vehicles that use this engine ? I know the Fusion does but not sure if any others do (Focus ?).

SSM 47714 - 2018-2019 Fusion 2.0L GTDI and 1.5L GTDI - Delete Engine Beauty Cover
Some 2018-2019 Ford Fusion vehicles, the engine beauty cover was deleted as a running change. If during PDI a unit is reported as received without engine beauty cover from factory, the unit was built correctly. Any repair or the addition of this part would not be considered warrantable.

APPLICABLE VEHICLES
2018 - 2019 CAR: C7 CD391N FUSION
2018 - 2019 CAR: C7 CD391N FUSION

Cost-cutting move, and I think really an engine cover belongs on a luxury car. GM supposedly uses a foam shell around the HPFP on their DI V8s, while Honda was able to position theirs to keep the characteristic tick-tick-tick of direct injection down.

However, it does look like Toyota is embracing semi-naked on the Lexus turbos.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
Originally Posted by dave1251
Save a few pennies and make it a little easier for maintenance.

The cover on these engines simply sits in place. Not a single fastener involved so it's not related to ease of maintenance. It is most likely a cost issue.

I will say that the engine (the same 1.5L EB) is noticeably louder without it on. The hood provides even more sound reduction. Can't say what it sounds like with no engine cover but with the hood closed though. Could be just fine...

That is probably the case, but the engine/valve train/direct injector noises do not bother me one iota, and I even removed the underside of the hood pad/insulation.
wink.gif

Our 2017 2.3 Ecoboost Explorer has a "beauty" engine cover. It's a flimsy plastic cover that appears just for "prettying" up the engine. Standing outside with the truck running it sounds like an old Singer sewing machine
lol.gif
, but inside it's totally quiet. Thankfully there is NO under body cover for the engine and transmission. This makes changing the oil and transmission fluids a breeze.

Whimsey

It's all about cost cutting. My 2012 Focus Titanium came with one. My '14 Titanium didn't. I remedied that situation on Ebay. I don't know about the rest of Ford's lineup, but that Focus engine is ugly without a cover.

So, I'm going to go with cost-cutting.

I checked out another 18' and 19' at my Boston office. The 18' had one, the 19' didn't.
I don't hear injector noise or anything from the cab, so good enough for me.

I've had the truck-let for just over a week and have almost 1000 miles. So far, so good.
Again, it's not my 2.0L Fusion, but is still peppy and gets up to speed just fine for me. I played an evening gig last week and all of my drum kit and elec. equip fit no problem.

A buddy has a 2018 RAV4 2.4L and I think this blows it away with interior quality and driveability. Reliability may be debatable, but management in my company get Ford vehicles and I haven't heard of anything major from colleagues with Fusions to Escapes to Edge & Taurus. Time will tell.

I looked carefully at the cover design on my MAZDA CX5 and it appears to channel air from the front under the cover. I think MAZDA uses it to keep the engine top wires and stuff cooler, so I am leaving mine on. Ed

Some engines are pretty hideous without underneath. Seems like a design choice and if lifting hood is palatable without it vs designing a functional item to look appealing in showroom or auto show with hood lifted. Cover is really quick coverup but cost manufacturing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back