Costco Fuel is "Top Tier" Licensed... Pleasantly Surprised

Status
Not open for further replies.
Noticed Costco Fuel station employees wearing yellow vests with a "Top Tier" logo on the back. Sure enough, Costco gas is Top Tier licensed. I really did not expect this. We've been using Costco gas exclusively (premium) for our vehicles for years now but always thought it was lower quality (which is why I routinely run Techron Concentrate). They are anywhere from 10 to 75 cents cheaper per gallon (adds up fast in the X5 which averages 12mpg around town).

I wonder what the extra cost is to get your gas labeled "Top Tier" if its already top tier quality. I sometimes go to a Pride station and the chain owner says its premium gas, not discount gas but its not Top Tier.

Originally Posted by Donald
I wonder what the extra cost is to get your gas labeled "Top Tier" if its already top tier quality. I sometimes go to a Pride station and the chain owner says its premium gas, not discount gas but its not Top Tier.

The extra cost is certainly worth the peace of mind knowing the fuel is of a particular quality. Costco is already the cheapest option in my area by a long-shot, so can't complain. It's a win-win.

I use costco gasoline about 75% of the time and I have nothing but good stuff to say about their gasoline. I never run any kind of fuel treatment either.

Use Costco about 90 percent of the time. St. Louis area Circle K's have recently switched from Shell to the house brand and dropped Top Tier. (Although I'm sure I've seen Circle K listed before, maybe it's a check in the mail situation like QuikTrip which comes and goes on the list. )

The Circle K omission will probably slightly increase my Costco percentages. Costco has always pushed the Top Tier designation more than most other brands.

I use Costco gas almost exclusively now. My car runs just as well on it. The reason they are .30 a gallon cheaper than most of the other local gas stations.

I run Costco gas in the Si exclusively (almost all local travel) and in both the other vehicles when I can. The particular gas station I use is the only one in the region that has pure ethanol free gas in both regular and premium....and it is less expensive than all stations around.

It being Top Tier is secondary benefit that I have never bothered to personally prove to be better than non top tier stations. Costco is mandated (here) to notify on the pump of the fuel ethanol concentration and Top Tier status. If it changes they have to put it on the pump according to the employees.

I have never had a problem with the fuel I purchased in my entire driving experience of over 30 years...except once..about 30 years ago. I thought it wise to fill up at a less used rinky-dinky gas station because it was cheaper than every station in the area. I had starting/running issues...that coincidentally disappeared once I filled at a well used station. I never made that mistake again.

Last edited:
Costco has been TT for as long as I've known about the standard, several years now!
A buddy of mine in the Midwest will only buy Costco gas when he is near home, but the lines were just insane when we stopped there while I was visiting him a while back.
He was pretty sneaky about shifting from line to line when people were busy texting or whatever, I'd guess it would have been at least a 20 minute wait without his chicanery...I'm surprised he's never gotten punched in the mouth for it!
No Costcos around me close enough for buying gas...

What is really novel is that most new Costco gas stations formulates their fuel on-site, with a dedicated system that mixes in "kirkland" branded additive mix as it flows to the pumps versus having it mixed at the depot. They also do filtration more frequently due to the volume of fuel they sell.

This allows them to bulk buy both any fuel at a spot lower rate, and their additive is their formula in bulk..
Obviously with much higher upfront costs to install and certify this system; versus piggybacking off the depot.

Costco gas has been top-tier for at least 10 years,heading to Costco in 15 minutes to the eye glass dept,then to get a 4oz. hot dog with drink for$1.50 then to the gas pumps for a fill up at $2.32/gal or less!

I buy Costo gas and what is great is the wife's new truck I bought a gas engine which was about $10,000.00 less and yes it gets less mpgs but Diesel is .60 to .90 cents More a gallon .

Originally Posted by raytseng
What is really novel is that most new Costco gas stations formulates their fuel on-site, with a dedicated system that mixes in "kirkland" branded additive mix as it flows to the pumps versus having it mixed at the depot. They also do filtration more frequently due to the volume of fuel they sell.

This allows them to bulk buy both any fuel at a spot lower rate, and their additive is their formula in bulk..
Obviously with much higher upfront costs to install and certify this system; versus piggybacking off the depot.

Very cool. Thanks for the info.

It's been about 4-1/2 years since they got Top Tier certification and. The system they have was custom made for them where they keep a supply of additives on site and they're metered into the tanks during fuel deliveries. Before then they were marketing their system as "Clean Power" gasoline and there was public information about how they were doing it. Costco was saying they were reserving the right to seek Top Tier certification in the future. Apparently the only obstacle to getting the Top Tier certification was having it for all of their gas stations, since they were rolling out the equipment in stages.

https://storebrands.com/costcos-own-gasoline-gets-company-listed-top-tier-gasoline-retailer

This is a variation of a presentation that Costco was giving at various conferences.

http://soniasorensen.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Costco-T-C2-CUPA-2013.pdf

They didn't necessarily have this at every Costco gas station, but back then you could look up Costco's list of locations that had it. I remember seeing one near me that was shut down as they were digging up the pavement to install the equipment. As far as I can tell they didn't really change anything, so the additive must have met the Top Tier standards, but they just didn't have it across all stations.

Its rare that I don't buy my fuel at Costco. Price is better than anyone around,

Costco is also my primary fuel source with Top Tier 93 octane (E10) at great prices (lowest I've seen in town - Knoxville, TN). My cars seem to run great on it!
I also use their CC with 4% cash back on fuel purchases.

I bet the gasoline is made by Exxon, Chevron, Valero or Shell or another major refiner. . Depending upon region I bet.. Costco does not make gas. Whoever makes this gasoline knows what they are doing.
Nothing wrong with that.

Originally Posted by bbhero
I bet the gasoline is made by Exxon, Chevron, Valero or Shell or another major refiner. . Depending upon region I bet.. Costco does not make gas. Whoever makes this gasoline knows what they are doing.
Nothing wrong with that.

Well not necessarily. Like most fuel retailers, they're guaranteed fuel as a fungible commodity. Costco will buy it on the spot market and then contract with fuel trucking companies to get fuel from depots and then deliver it to their gas stations. The vast majority of fuel distributed in the US is considered fungible where a seller will put in a certain amount of fuel at a terminal and its buyers are allowed to withdraw fuel at depots like withdrawing money from a bank. It's up to the pipeline companies to make sure that so much of (for example) 91 octane E10 is available at a certain fuel depot via base fuel and oxygenate. However, the base fuel of any manufacturer is supposed to meet specific standards and they don't look kindly on it if a company doesn't meet the standards. The incentive to cheat is extremely low given that it can be tested at any point. They're also commingled, where it shouldn't matter at all provided all inputs meet the same standard. There are some small refiners still making fuel, and what they make should be to the same standards as Chevron or ExxonMobil.

The real irony is that Valero the retail brand is now different than Valero the refining company. That was spun off maybe 2013. Also - Exxon and Mobil stations are making a big comeback here in Northern California, but the old Exxon refinery was sold to Valero maybe 20 years ago.

For instance, Shell doesn't have a single refinery in Southern California, but they're a huge brand there. They have a massive distribution complex in Carson to distribute fuel to their stations and other customers. I suppose they could ship it all the way specifically from the Shell refinery in Martinez, but I would think they would simply put in a certain amount and use one of the pipeline companies as an agent to transport the same amount of fungible fuel (from any random source) to their distribution complex. I heard the difference may be 3 cents per gallon for a fungible delivery vs maybe 10-20 cent per gallon for a segregated delivery of the exact fuel from end to end.

Again... It's not whoopty Doo know nothing's refining the gas.... Plain and simple... It has to be from a real deal refiner. Whether it be Exxon, Chevron, Valero, BP or Shell...

My step father worked at refinery... And understood the Pipelines... Aka the colonial pipeline and plantation pipeline on my area... And by the way... His refinery made gasoline for all the Delmarva... Whether it was a Citgo, Exxon, Shell or whoever else branded
gas station... The refinery was Amoco at that time. They did not get Ultimate 93... But everything else was Amoco gas. This refinery also supplied areas to the north at times has well... Via barge...

Now with the refinery gone locally... The area get gasoline from the plantation pipeline spur that come from the area west of where I am at... This spur actually goes where??? Guess where??? Amoco docks... Where the refinery has the docks... This same plantation spur goes to south Hampton roads area to supply the Navy has well. Plus other hubs has well...

Gas is sent and deals made well ahead of time... Now my area gets gasoline from the pipeline... Whether that be Exxon, Shell or whoever else... And guess what?? So does Costco.... The additives are added at the rack...
Again... It's not some bunch of some strange fools making the gas. Just like it was before the refinery shut down. That refinery made contracts with more places in the Hampton roads area when BP took over... This led to the refinery actually making money. Which it was a break even affair prior to BP coming in. Amoco used the refinery has a testing ground... Whiting and Texas City were the major profit centers at that time. I wish Giant had kept the refinery... They did a good job managing the refinery. Western took over and were stupid. And caused it to be shut down.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by bbhero
Again... It's not whoopty Doo know nothing's refining the gas.... Plain and simple... It has to be from a real deal refiner. Whether it be Exxon, Chevron, Valero, BP or Shell...

My step father worked at refinery... And understood the Pipelines... Aka the colonial pipeline and plantation pipeline on my area... And by the way... His refinery made gasoline for all the Delmarva... Whether it was a Citgo, Exxon, Shell or whoever else branded
gas station... The refinery was Amoco at that time. They did not get Ultimate 93... But everything else was Amoco gas. This refinery also supplied areas to the north at times has well... Via barge...

Now with the refinery gone locally... The area get gasoline from the plantation pipeline spur that come from the area west of where I am at... This spur actually goes where??? Guess where??? Amoco docks... Where the refinery has the docks... This same plantation spur goes to south Hampton roads area to supply the Navy has well. Plus other hubs has well...

Gas is sent and deals made well ahead of time... Now my area gets gasoline from the pipeline... Whether that be Exxon, Shell or whoever else... And guess what?? So does Costco.... The additives are added at the rack...
Again... It's not some bunch of some strange fools making the gas. Just like it was before the refinery shut down. That refinery made contracts with more places in the Hampton roads area when BP took over... This led to the refinery actually making money. Which it was a break even affair prior to BP coming in. Amoco used the refinery has a testing ground... Whiting and Texas City were the major profit centers at that time. I wish Giant had kept the refinery... They did a good job managing the refinery. Western took over and were stupid. And caused it to be shut down.

I live near the Chevron Richmond refinery, which at one time was the largest oil refinery in the world. If their sirens go off I can hear them. Within the city of Richmond are four fuel terminals (Chevron, Phillips 66, Plains All American, and Kinder Morgan). Apparently Valero was looking to buy two local terminals from Plains, but gave up.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/v...deal-after-california-lawsuit-2017-09-18

However, Costco is different since they no longer have a detergent additive added at the rack. It's stored on site and added at the time of delivery.

But yeah - somehow marketing has led people to think that there's some sort of magic quality to base fuel when they're almost always treated as commodities. Even the whole thing about developing fuel additives can be a myth. The only major oil companies with certified detergent additives on the EPA list are Chevron and Sunoco. The other oil companies might have a "branded additive" but it's just something they buy from Afton, BASF, Lubrizol, etc. I think many even buy from Chevron Oronite.

Still - some of the refiners are small names that few outside the industry have heard of. Andeavor used to be Tesoro, so that might be better known. There are a couple of small refiners in Bakersfield, California (Kern Oil and San Joaquin Refining) that can make fuel to the same standards as the refineries with 10 times the capacity.

https://www.energy.ca.gov/almanac/petroleum_data/refineries.html

I am a member of Costco and have been for 30 plus years. Their gasoline and diesel fuels are blended with a detergent package that exceeds the standard requirements according to their website. The Costco I visit sells a lot of gasoline.

I drive a Ram 3500 with the Cummins Diesel. Unfortunately, the Costco's in Maryland do not sell diesel fuel. I did e-mail Costco and asked if they had any plans for selling diesel fuel at my Costco. Basically, Costco indicated they had no plans to sell diesel fuel at my Costco at this time. I am hopeful Costco will decide to carry diesel fuel in the near future, I will have no issue purchasing my diesel fuel from Costco. I know Costco products are high quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back