Oil and leaded fuel?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some time ago, there was a thread here or elsewhere that talked about motorcycle oil and leaded fuel causing sludge if the oil wasn't of the right formulation. I have looked all over and can't find it. Does anyone know if there's any truth to that or not? I mix a little AV100LL in with my normal pump fuel to get a little higher octane.

Lead deposits from leaded gas were only a major issue with aircraft running Mobil 1 "AV-1"

Lead remains in solution just fine in mineral oils - but in synthetics it was a disaster

Aeroshell did come out with a successful "semi-synthetic" (blend?) 15W-50 that didn't have the lead sludge issues AV-1 had.

Linctex, you have a good memory. A company called Ameriflight used/tested Mobil AV-1 aircraft oil in their Piper Navajos and Lances. Apparently the synthetic oil could not keep the lead in the combustion blowby in suspension. They had a lot of engine problems as a result of these tests.

I remember reading an article related to Mobil AV-1 oil. Apparently the military tested synthetic oil in some B-29's near the end of or after WW2. The very same sludging issues occurred then. I seem to remember the sludge being found in the hollow end of the crankshafts, propeller hubs and in the ring lands.

I read the article in a publication called The TBO Advisor. This was a publication dedicated to the care, feeding and operation of aircraft piston engines.

Originally Posted by TiredTrucker
Leaded fuel is still around? I thought is was permanently banned in the U.S. in 1986 and Europe in 2000.

It was in car fuel, but not in aviation fuel. There are lots of piston driven, small planes still around that were designed for leaded fuel. Almost every small airport or airfield will have 100 octane, low lead for sale. It's currently about $5/gallon around here, and usually can only be bought with a credit card at the pumps.

We used VP Import fuel (Leaded) in Turbocharged LSR Hayabusa's making in excess of 600 rwhp. They all ran on Synthetic oil, and we had no sludge issues. But the oil was changed frequently.

Originally Posted by kawie_guy
Leaded fuel is still around? I thought is was permanently banned in the U.S. in 1986 and Europe in 2000.

It was in car fuel, but not in aviation fuel. There are lots of piston driven, small planes still around that were designed for leaded fuel. Almost every small airport or airfield will have 100 octane, low lead for sale. It's currently about $5/gallon around here, and usually can only be bought with a credit card at the pumps.

Well, duh, being in my mid 60's, I realize it used to be a car fuel. But the topic was regarding leaded fuel and oil. Well it would seem to be a non issue since leaded fuel was banned in the U.S. after 1986.

Originally Posted by kawie_guy

Well, duh, being in my mid 60's, I realize it used to be a car fuel. But the topic was regarding leaded fuel and oil. Well it would seem to be a non issue since leaded fuel was banned in the U.S. after 1986.

???????
I think you misunderstood me. I meant it was banned in car fuel, not that it was in car fuel. I was answering your question in the context that it was banned. Obviously, everybody knows gas was leaded back in the day, but most folks don't realize there are still several ways to get leaded gas (VP canisters, pump race fuel, Aviation fuel, etc.).
My question was how does leaded gas work with modern motorcycle oils.

Going back to the original post that started this..... why would anyone worry about effect of leaded fuel causing sludge in oil when leaded fuel is banned and has been fro 3 decades in the U.S?

Going back to the original post that started this..... why would anyone worry about effect of leaded fuel causing sludge in oil when leaded fuel is banned and has been fro 3 decades in the U.S?

Because I mix Av100LL with my pump gas to raise the octane for the high compression pistons I installed in my V twin.

Because as already stated, Leaded Fuel IS available for specific applications. It's just not available at every gas station across the Country, like it once was.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
BITOG thread discussion.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2323010

Thank you, ZeeOSix.
After reading the thread, it sounds like there isn't a clear winner. I would think the high TBN numbers of the Amsoil and Maxima I use would mitigate some of the effects of leaded fuel, but I'm not a chemist. Maybe I will try some race fuel next time. It has less lead than the AV100LL I've geen using.

I ran a WV golf 180016V for over 200k miles. Always used Mobil1 FS oil and leaded fuel. Had no single issue with engine running; in fact had it dyno'ed after 200k and it still produce 1hp more that the original manufacturer spec!

maybe it is different for MC engines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back