Frantz Oil Refiner installed on 4Runner

Originally Posted by Linctex
Originally Posted by FlyNavyP3
Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
I also found that Donaldson has some M20x1.5 bypass listed for Mazda bypass (huh??) that have 5 micron ratings.

That is an interesting find, I'd be curious what application it's for.

Apparently, some Mazda diesels and Ford Ranger diesels used one on the passenger side.

Interesting, so they had a full flow and a spin on bypass? Sounds like a BITOG dream factory setup!

Could probably find a machinist to make an adapter like i had made for me to start running the Donaldson P564967 (5um B1000) ought to do a little clean up.

Originally Posted by Purpfox
Could probably find a machinist to make an adapter like i had made for me to start running the Donaldson P564967 (5um B1000) ought to do a little clean up.

"Thread Size 1-12 UN"

This is a common filter head size, usually diesel Fuel filters

The Donaldson P564357 is even longer :-D

If the short one will last 2-3 oci's ill be happy

I would be VERY surprised if it didn't last much, much longer

Any updates Flynavy

Still plugging along, been traveling for work lately so I haven't put many miles on. All indications normal as I approach 2500 miles on the bypass setup. Daily mileage has been reduced by both my work travel and the purchase of a 2019 4Runner TRD PRO. Will continue to update as time and mileage adds up. The filter element shows no signs of slowing up currently as it heats up very quickly still and is too hot to touch even after a 10 min drive.

Haven't added many miles to the bypass setup in the last year, but all is still well. Filter body still warms up quickly and is too hot to touch once coolant temp stabilizes. Truck will need a top off on oil in the next 1-2k miles, I will draw off a sample for analysis prior to topping off.

I am a big fan of the Frantz filters. Installed one on the 5.7 in an 1989 3500 van I bought new. Also put one on the transmission ( off cooler line). Went as many as 100,000 kms. without dumping and changing the engine oil, but keep in mind I was changing filter every 2500 kms. and adding 1 liter to replenish . Changed th-400 transmission oil once in its life. I found on idle it takes approx 4.5 minutes to flow 1 liter through the Frantz filter, with cold oil and less time with a hot engine. The unit was used to haul tools and pulled a skid steer and dump trailer over half of its miles/life. The motor and drive train went to 387,000 kms and burnt an exhaust valve, other than that the engine and tranny where as good as it was new. I always used Amsoil in the engine, and dextron in that th-400. As far as your oil pressure drop you are stating, all the oil going through the filter is diverted from a pressure port on engine, oil pump puts out far more than can be circulated through oil gallery ports etc. It should not in any way affect the engine oil pressure reading unless of course you had gauge on outlet side of filter in which case would be near zero since it is returning into block/pan. You have nothing to loose with Frantz and my experience is everything to gain.

Originally Posted by Yah-Tah-Hey
Toilet paper craze never seems to run its course.

Are you referring to the recent run on toilet paper from Covid-19.:)

without a doubt BYPASS filters are the ONLY ones that really WORK, thats why they are all on the big boys!!

Haven't added many miles to the bypass setup in the last year, but all is still well. Filter body still warms up quickly and is too hot to touch once coolant temp stabilizes. Truck will need a top off on oil in the next 1-2k miles, I will draw off a sample for analysis prior to topping off.
Any updates? It has been over a year. Really curious. Nice install, BTW.

On my bypass filter set-up, only oil that has been through the "full flow" filters goes through the bypass filters.

With 50,000 miles on them, I saw NO signs of slowing down. Flowed just as well as the day I installed them.
I would venture a guess they would last 100,000 miles.

The really small sub 1-micron particles don't get filtered out very well, anyway.

Back