Got Bats ???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kids confirmed that this morning, this poor bat was connecting the phases of the 415V overheads.

When I got home it was hanging by a singular wingfingerthumb as shown here.

The flies could be seen circling it, so it's going to be one hot mess tomorrow I guess....

20190131_181056.jpg

20190131_181107.jpg

Last edited:
My last year of university, I had a high, balcony room, amongst the canopy of some fig trees on campus

On dusk every warm night, the flying foxes would fly in en masse, hung upside down literally 10-15 feet away, and tear at the figs.

It was amazing (and noisy)

and maybe there's an omen here

I bought a bunch of bat houses from the son of a friend, the kid was an Eagle scout and he built and sold them as part of his project to help prevent the bat population from plummeting around us (didn't work).
I assumed the bats would want shady spots, so I put them up facing North in places shielded by evergreens.
Mentioned to my friend years later that I never appeared to get a single tenant and he told me they had to be in sunny spots so the houses would get warm enough for the bats...I never bothered to move them.

We used to see dozens of bats zipping around above our backyard around dusk in the summer, but they are rare to see now.

BTW, this is my favorite model...

M159bat.jpg

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
Originally Posted by exranger06
415V? That doesn't sound right.

Australia.

I know it's Australia. It still doesn't make sense. 415V is too low for primary wires; that's more like a secondary voltage you'd find on commercial buildings.

I liked giving the evening bat flight address at the natural entrance to Carlsbad Caverns when I worked summers as a seasonal park guide. One of the more enjoyable experiences at the park. The Griswolds on vacation began to wear a little thin by summer number two though.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
415V? That doesn't sound right.

Australia.

I know it's Australia. It still doesn't make sense. 415V is too low for primary wires; that's more like a secondary voltage you'd find on commercial buildings.

https://www.sa.gov.au/topics/energy.../powerline-safety/identifying-powerlines

Distribution lines are used to deliver electricity from substations to homes and businesses. The voltage of electricity conducted by distribution powerlines may vary from 415 volts (V), which are low voltage, to 66 kV (66,000 volts), which are high voltage.

Powerlines_distribution_stobie_pole_diagram.jpg

Yeah, I first read that as 415kV, but that was obviously way too high for a residential area. Most of those type of "residential" lines here in the US are about 7kV.

Well they certainly do things differently over there.

Yup, that was my impression as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back