Jeep 45RFE Transmission Filter??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got a new (to us) 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee WJ with the 4.7 V8 (not H.O.) and 4wd. I have been researching to find the proper filter(s) and pan gasket for its 45RFE transmission. Some show one main filter and a spin on secondary filter while others show just the main filter. Anybody have any insight as to the right part numbers? I'd like Mopar, but if Napa or someone has a good quality aftermarket kit, I'd be fine with it if I can't find the Mopar parts or can't get them at a decent price.

Thanks!

Rock Auto has the Mopar filter at a good price.

I would also suggest getting an aftermarket transmission pan that has a drain plug. This will make future ATF changes much easier
smile.gif

A pan gasket will most likely not seal right. Chrysler's like to use RTV. That pan will be a pain to take down cleanly. If there are pans available with a drain plug that is a great idea. I'd get both filters. When I worked at a Jeep dealer we only replaced the large filter for a normal service. On side jobs I always replaced the spin on filter too, but through the shop they had a set menu price for a trans service and wouldn't include it. if we were doing more major trans repairs I'd suggest it. The bigger filter has a seal that usually stays up in the case/valve body. If it stays you can reuse it. If you want to change it, make sure you drive it up in and seat it good. If likes to let the filter fall down and you'll get a loss of prime. If I remember right a 19mm socket upside down worked well to drive it up in there flush and square.

Thanks so much, guys! I'm going to replace both filters, for good measure and peace of mind. Does Rock Auto have the drain plug pan? I'll definitely use RTV.

Thank you so much! I'm going to do a bunch of other stuff first, but when the weather warms up, I'll prepare for a mess and knock this out. Actually, I'll make my son do the messy part! Lol!

I did this job on our 2003 Durango 4.7 when we had it. I replaced both filters. Use ATF+4 fluid. FWIW I bought the filters and fluid at the dealer and it was around 100 bucks for everything. I always replace the filter seal although they can be a PITA to replace.

Originally Posted by IndyFan
Thanks so much, guys! I'm going to replace both filters, for good measure and peace of mind. Does Rock Auto have the drain plug pan? I'll definitely use RTV.

Thank you so much! I'm going to do a bunch of other stuff first, but when the weather warms up, I'll prepare for a mess and knock this out. Actually, I'll make my son do the messy part! Lol!

Yes, Rock Auto has a drain plug pan for your transmission
smile.gif

I found the parts on RockAuto. I found an oil pan with a drain plug by SKP. Are they of good quality? The price is great, at 20 bucks.

Originally Posted by IndyFan
I found the parts on RockAuto. I found an oil pan with a drain plug by SKP. Are they of good quality? The price is great, at 20 bucks.

It is probably fine
smile.gif

I topped off the transmission fluid this weekend with some Castrol ATF+4. It was about a quart and a half low. I'm getting ready to order the parts from Rockauto. I just am confirming the correct part numbers before I order. The gasket on the current pan appears to be really bad, with seepage and grime all around it. It isn't enough to be dripping, but it is long overdue for service. In fact, I doubt it has ever been serviced before.

Once the transmission is done, the oil pan will be next. Same issue. It also has a leak from the gasket on the rear drive output shaft on the transfer case. That one is dripping (not horribly) and the T-case, which I'm also sure was never serviced, was low and the fluid was pretty ugly looking. I filled it with the correct Mopar oil and it really smoothed it out. Oh yeah, the power steering fluid seems to be seeping everywhere, as well. That's further down the to-do list, though.

One step at a time! Thanks again for the help!

Last edited:
My 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee has the 65RFE transmission...I opted this time to have the Jeep dealer do a ATF change by dropping the pan and replace the two filters. You will save alot by doing it yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back