Speaking of Customers and Unrealistic Car Values

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe I could collect a finder's fee for the lucky buyer.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
BITOG dream ride right there.

My mom has a 91 Grand Marquis with 60,000. I thought only the junkyard would buy it when she dies.

Those boxy LTD's were good cars back in the day. I see them in good shape with low miles for $1,000-$1,500 on Craigslist every now and then.

I sold my 91 Mercury Marquis for $1200 four years ago. It had 120K on the odometer and was well taken care of by me which included regular rustproofing. I hated to sell it but one hobby car is enough for me.

These cars do have a following among people who like big plush cruisers... very popular with the Detroit folk. I got a number of calls after putting it up for sale. It sold 2 hrs after posting.

Too much but I would love to put it on a 2003 chassis with a Supercharged Coyote, a 6060 and a 9 inch..
Paint it black and put dog dishes on widened 15" steel wheels to finish it off.
Ah, if only I won the lottery. But have to pay for lottery tickets first before I could win.

Last edited:
I passed on a 1 owner 2006 Grand Marquis with 44K miles last year for $4800. I told the owner it will sell very soon. I ended up with a 2001 Lincoln Continental with 39K miles for a lot less.

I owned a very nice 1988 Crown Vic from 1993-2001 taking it from 55K miles to 212K miles. I paid $5000 for that car in 1993 - 5 yrs old. Can't even conceive how one of these at 25 yrs old would be worth $6000....lol. Mileage is only one part of the equation. Realistically that car is worth $1500-$2000 "assuming" it's had all the maintenance and still runs like a 61K mile car. If OEM items like radiator, evaporator, condenser, pumps, hoses, gaskets, and a plethora of electronics haven't failed yet, they soon could.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by 69GTX
I passed on a 1 owner 2006 Grand Marquis with 44K miles last year for $4800. I told the owner it will sell very soon. I ended up with a 2001 Lincoln Continental with 39K miles for a lot less.

I owned a very nice 1988 Crown Vic from 1993-2001 taking it from 55K miles to 212K miles. I paid $5000 for that car in 1993 - 5 yrs old. Can't even conceive how one of these at 25 yrs old would be worth $6000....lol. Mileage is only one part of the equation. Realistically that car is worth $1500-$2000 "assuming" it's had all the maintenance and still runs like a 61K mile car. If OEM items like radiator, evaporator, condenser, pumps, hoses, gaskets, and a plethora of electronics haven't failed yet, they soon could.

I agree with the $1500-2000

The following must not be big, this has been out of fashion since early 90s.

I guess my FIL's Camry has the same situation. Rose tinted glasses...

1. Seller is hoping someone had this exact car in the past and will buy it at any price. EDIT: Exact same configuration, different car. The same car with a different vin number.
2. Seller is hoping some gangster laundering drug money wants it to paint it monochrome and put huge wheels on it.
3. Seller's wife/gf wants it sold but the seller does not.
4. Good condition old cars are rare, but there seems to be a steady supply of low mileage old man cars that no one wants. Doesn't stop someone from pricing this one 3x the going rate because it is the nicest within 1000 miles.

Last edited:
I'm thinking they actually want it sold because it looks like the van in the background was a mobile detailer.

Originally Posted by maxdustington

1. Seller is hoping someone had this exact car in the past and will buy it at any price. EDIT: Exact same configuration, different car. The same car with a different vin number.
2. Seller is hoping some gangster laundering drug money wants it to paint it monochrome and put huge wheels on it.
3. Seller's wife/gf wants it sold but the seller does not.
4. Good condition old cars are rare, but there seems to be a steady supply of low mileage old man cars that no one wants. Doesn't stop someone from pricing this one 3x the going rate because it is the nicest within 1000 miles.

Despite all the opinions the car is always worth exactly what someone is willing to pay for it. The 02 Buick I flipped recently was only worth 500 bucks to three people who looked at it before me. I gave 800.

Cleaned it up and got 3k for it!

I used to have one of those. I liked it a lot. 5.0 engine. I could do donuts all day long in it but it had no antilock brakes. I remember in the rain I slid sideways right through an intersection. My fault for speeding.

Originally Posted by DoubleWasp
Someone hoping box Chevy values translate to Ford.

after looking at the seller info he probably thinks its worth $6000

They were very heavy on the tire shine.. wonder if the tires are dry rotted from it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back