SD cards

Status
Not open for further replies.
The regular SD cards fit in older devices that might have size limitations (lower GB). Check before diving in.

Yes. But there are limitations. There's no backwards compatibility though of the newer types on some older devices. But if it's the same type of MicroSD then not a problem as long as you use the correct adapter.

yes, exceptions being made for size and such

for example I have a 6 year old camera that wont use any card more than 2GB PERIOD.

so a 2gb microsd in the adapter would also work.(good luck finding one)

So if you are asking if your GAME Camera which uses 8GB SD card.. yes it will work with an 8GB micro sd card in an adapter.

For most applications yes. It can be complicated as to why it doesn't work in some applications. Best just to try it in your intended application and see if it works.

Also if you get a write error check that the adapter doesn't have a physical write lock-out switch on the edge of the adapter.

Originally Posted by Rand

for example I have a 6 year old camera that wont use any card more than 2GB PERIOD.

What happens if you RE-format lets say 16Gb SD card to/as 2Gb...?

So if you are asking if your GAME Camera which uses 8GB SD card.. yes it will work with an 8GB micro sd card in an adapter.

Use this: https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/hp-usb-disk-storage-format-tool/dl/352/

Format it as FAT32. It has a good chance of working.

I'm using 128 GB uSD cards as backup media for Macrium Reflect on my MS Go. I use h2testw.exe to verify the size, read/write speed, and to prove they are error-free.

I saw no speed differences with a variety of adapters, vs the uSD directly in a PC slot.

Originally Posted by Jarlaxle
I bought a regular 2GB SD card...it was only eight bucks.

What device (make/model) is this for?

Don't buy cheap sd cards if you use them regularly, they can fail without warning. All cards have a limited R/W life. I had cheap SanDisc in my rear dashcams and one failed already. Ordered new High Endurance cards from Transcend to match my front cams. Lesson learned.

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
Originally Posted by Jarlaxle
I bought a regular 2GB SD card...it was only eight bucks.

What device (make/model) is this for?

Old digital camera-Nikon Coolpix.

It is a Transcend brand...the SanDisk cards had bad reviews.

Originally Posted by Kamele0N

What happens if you RE-format lets say 16Gb SD card to/as 2Gb...?

I've done this and it generally works fine, although it's often a waste of money.

Also, I recall testing a Nikon D100(CF, not SD, but same principle) one day in a shop, and all they could find in their demo pile was a 32gb card. I popped it in and formatted it, and I think it took the camera good 10 minutes to format it.

The times I've used it since(I mostly bought it for my early Nikon DSLR collection, but have used it some) I've stuck to 1gb and 2gb cards-they hold a more than reasonable number of files from that camera, and I can keep my big cards for cameras that can use them and, more importantly, actually benefit from having a big card(my main camera typically spits out 70-80mb files-I don't like to use anything smaller than 32gb in it).

Originally Posted by sprite1741
Don't buy cheap sd cards if you use them regularly, they can fail without warning. All cards have a limited R/W life. I had cheap SanDisc in my rear dashcams and one failed already. Ordered new High Endurance cards from Transcend to match my front cams. Lesson learned.

I've been using either Transcend or Samsung Evo micro SD cars in my dashcams. A few of the Evo's have been running non-stop for about 2 years now. I keep a couple spares in the glove box.

Originally Posted by road_rascal
Originally Posted by sprite1741

I've been using either Transcend or Samsung Evo micro SD cars in my dashcams. A few of the Evo's have been running non-stop for about 2 years now. I keep a couple spares in the glove box.

I have the Samsung Evo for my dash cam because that brand/model was what came with the Anker Roav dash cam, but I bought a larger capacity one for it.

For music, I've been using the Microcenter house brand one without issue (yet).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back