What happened to the 3,000 Mile OCI?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not many years ago the recommended maintenance interval for many vehicles and touted by oil change businesses was 3 months 3000 miles. In a few short years we are seeing factory intervals of 10k miles and one year. Is the oil that much better? Is the engineering of engines better? Combination of both? How about with direct injected gasoline engines? Are we heading back towards shorter OCI's? I even see in Europe some intervals of 30000 kilometers. I do notice that on my newer vehicles the oil capacity is almost uniformly 6 liters as opposed to the 4- 5 quarts with filter from a few years back. Will we see a time the engine oil becomes like the transmission fluid and becomes "Lifetime" fluid?

Last edited:
The maintenance minder is what most people go off of.. progress i guess. If you get your oil changed at a dealership they usually put a sticker on your windshield reminding you to change it at 5000 miles... you may even get a phone call, letter or email from them to bring it on in every 6 months..

The 3K oil change was the invention of those who make money changing your oil. They referred back to the OCI of cars in the sixties. By the 70's most North American cars manufacturers recommended a 6 - 7,500 mile OCIs. The same way that quick change businesses try to push you for a new air filter because "you waste gas" with a dirty air filter. This applies to carbureted engines only. If you read an owner's manual of a car in the 70's you'll find the "severe" use schedule applies pretty well only to delivery drivers and extreme cold weather. Those who stand to make money by changing your oil advertise a lot and it's not always truthful. People believe what they are told. The 3K OCI is a myth created by advertising. There is, of course, the odd exeption.

It has come back with my son's WJ Grand Cherokee 4.7. I think this engine may need 3k or 3.5k oil changes, at least until I do a couple UOA's to see how it is doing. It was purchased used for my son with 103k miles on it. The previous owner ran whatever bulk dino 5w30 his mechanic or quickie lube used and he ran it 3k. It was mainly used for very short trips. I've got PUP 5w30 waiting to go in there soon, so we'll see how it does. We'll run it probably 3.5k and then do a UOA.

To answer your question, I think the quality of oil is much better nowadays, so 3k isn't really necessary. Then again, it might not have been necessary 30 years ago, either. My engines all did fine with it, though. My Mercedes had done fine with as high as 15k on M1 0w40. Generally, I prefer 6k.

Due to low sulfur gasoline and more advanced engine oil, 5000-7500 miles for non-synthetic and 10000 mile for synthetic oil become normal OCI.

Better fuels, better engine technology, better breathing systems in engines, better oils. Conservation efforts and environmental protections also pushing.

https://www.calrecycle.ca.gov/usedoil/oilchange

Check Your Number, Because 3,000 Miles May Be Too Early to Change Your Oil
CalRecycle's new motor oil campaign, Check Your Number, urges Californians to check the recommended oil change interval for their car in their owner's manual. They'll likely save time and money in service costs and do the environment a big favor — without hurting their car or compromising auto performance in the least.

The old standard of 3,000 miles is woefully out of date and no longer applies to most cars. Many cars, even older models, can be driven up to 5,000, 7,500, 10,000, and even 15,000 miles before needing an oil change.

By volume, used motor oil is one of the largest hazardous waste streams in California: Almost 115 million gallons are sold in the state each year. While about 70 percent is collected after use, it continues to be a serious environmental problem because it is insoluble and contains heavy metals and toxic chemicals. It makes its way into lakes, streams, and oceans via the storm water system and endangers fish, waterfowl, insects, and other aquatic life. In addition, one gallon of used motor oil can foul the taste of 1 million gallons of water.

Drivers can do their part to help the environment by simply looking up the recommended oil change intervals for their cars and changing their habits accordingly. Advances in modern engines and improved oil formulas have made the 3,000-mile oil change obsolete. Under normal driving conditions, cutting back to the automaker's recommended intervals will not affect your car's engine, its performance, or your warranty.

Check your number today and save time, money, and the environment! Visit CheckYourNumber.org to learn more.

Yes the quality of oil is much better, plus engines are cleaner and more efficient with tighter tolerances and better combustion sealing, so the oil doesn't get loaded up so quickly. Also, oil filter design has improved a bit since then, with slightly better efficiency and capacity across the board. But, "Not many years ago..." ?? It's been at least 15 years since I saw a normal service OCI less than 5,000 miles.

We have lead free gas. The fuel injection is more precise from first start to shutdown and the oil is formulated with better base oils and additive packages.

Kendall Motor Oil was the FIRST Motor Oil that could go 2,000 miles OCI. That is why they have the peace sign on the jugs. 2k

Originally Posted by Vern_in_IL
Kendall Motor Oil was the FIRST Motor Oil that could go 2,000 miles OCI. That is why they have the peace sign on the jugs. 2k

Coincidentally, I saw a reproduction of a vintage clock today at a local auto parts store that read "Kendall, the 2000 Mile Oil".

Last edited:
Originally Posted by StevieC
Better fuels, better engine technology, better breathing systems in engines, better oils. Conservation efforts and environmental protections also pushing.

Plus:
Better ignition systems, finer fuel injector spray patterns, very tight ECU parameters, fast reacting oxygen sensors, High-swirl combustion chambers, tighter fuel quality standards, better metallurgy (like Hypereutectic pistons, Moly faced rings, and Compacted Graphite Iron engine blocks)

I think it's not just "one thing" that changed - - the whole automotive industry changed.
Some various V8 engines seem to go to 300,000 or 400,000 miles without batting an eye, even with 10K oil changes!

Even back in the day, most makers recommended 5-7.5K drains for engine oil and this is going back to the seventies.
Most of us continued with 3K OCIs for many years until the light bulb went on and we went to loner drain intervals.
There is little to show that shorter than recommended OCIs with current oils accomplish anything and much to show that longer drains do no harm.
Your money, your time on back under car and thus your choice.

Just looked at the owners manual for my 1998 z28 camaro. It recommended 7500 for non severe service. I believe that it also just specified gm6049m which was satisfied by Dino oils at the time. Hard to believe that was already 20 years ago

Back in the day, I used to do 6000 mile oil changes with 10W-40, just as recommended by the owners manuals. As a junior automotive engineer, I had one engine engineer tell me they saw a difference in wear between 6000 and 3000 oil changes. So I modified my oil changes to every 3000 miles.

Since the advent of BITOG I've crept up to 5000 mile oil changes with regular oil and 10,000 miles with synthetic. I abandoned 3000 mile oil changes 15 years ago.

Hard to believe we had 6000 mile oil changes with old technology.

Originally Posted by sloinker
Not many years ago the recommended maintenance interval for many vehicles and touted by oil change businesses was 3 months 3000 miles. In a few short years we are seeing factory intervals of 10k miles and one year. Is the oil that much better? Is the engineering of engines better? Combination of both? How about with direct injected gasoline engines? Are we heading back towards shorter OCI's? I even see in Europe some intervals of 30000 kilometers. I do notice that on my newer vehicles the oil capacity is almost uniformly 6 liters as opposed to the 4- 5 quarts with filter from a few years back. Will we see a time the engine oil becomes like the transmission fluid and becomes "Lifetime" fluid?

I will bet Jiffy Lube still says 3000 OCI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back