4T65-E Total capacity?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just did a drain and fill on the 01 GTP and it took a little over 7qts. Curious as to what percentage I replaced. Can't imagine it uses too much more.

Secondarily, is it normal for there to be a thin grey paste coating the pan and totally coating the filter shell. The magnet had approx 1/16" thick paste on it. So I assume the paste on the other parts was ferrous wear metals as well. Seems like a lot.
The car has 19k and assume it was original fluid.

Just read a GM press release and it said 100k mile service interval on this tranny. What a joke. Obviously they don't care about people that plan to keep cars past warranty period with all those wear metals after only 19k.

GM powertrain website only says capacity with pan drop. Not total.

It also mentioned driver selectable shift firmness which I usually have also seen mentioned when I read about the GTP. Ours does not have that though. And the upshifts feel pretty limp d**k. Pretty lame for what is supposed to be a performance car. Probably get a shift kit after warranty is up. Wonder why we don't have the performance shift button? Do all GM trannies upshift this weak? I have never drive a F-body but I hope the automatics shift harder than this one.

Even a Acura TL Type-S barks second.

Edit: While I'm at it
wink.gif
Anyone know an easy way to get the filter tube seal out of the tranny? Talk about PITA.

[ March 17, 2003, 01:33 PM: Message edited by: Jason Troxell ]

Hi,

My Jaguar XJR is equipped with a 4L80E and I can tell you that the upshifts on this vehicle/trans combo are far from limp d**k.

This thing snaps your head back on the 1-2 and the 3-4 shift.

Also FYI the 4L80E takes 14 quarts of fluid!! I am not sure about the 65, but I would assume it is more than 7.

Tim

[ March 17, 2003, 02:56 PM: Message edited by: timish ]

Jason,
If the 4T65-E is the same as the 4L65 used in the Corvette's,Camero's and Denali pickups, then the capacity is about 12 qts, depending on your cooler and line capacity. Your pan could be a little differant too and that could change it a little. If you're going to flush it yourself, get 13 or 14 Qts and be assured you will have enough.

Butch 02 Sierra Denali

No, not the same. I think all the "T" are FWD, I guess T stands for transaxle
dunno.gif
and the "L" seem to be for RWD.

I found another GM site that indicates a dry capacity of either ~10 or ~13qt. No indication of why 2 different.

Also found out on a GP website they completely removed the performance shift option in '01 and '02. The circuitry isn't even there anymore.
mad.gif

dkcase, that's what I should have done. After trying everything I took a screwdriver and beat on the lip sideways with a sledge until it was a mangled mess that fell out
dunno.gif
Sledgehammer: one of the most important tools, right next to duct tape
grin.gif

Wish they would have calibrated our tranny like the Jag's. Maybe we accidentally got one destined for a Buick
lol.gif

T = Transverse
L = Longitudnal

The 4T Transverse transmissions are used in Cadillac's and other FWD cars, where the 4L series is used in trucks and other RWD vehicles. Otherwise they are identical as far as load capacity, fluid, etc.

Tim

The C5 Corvette is a direct drive vehicle...as you propably know the Transmission is part of the rear suspension and not attached to the LS1 at all.

Correct me I am wrong but at its core the C5 transmission is essentially a 4L60E minus the bellhousing?

I am unclear but that is my understanding in so far.

quote:

Originally posted by outrun:
The C5 Corvette is a direct drive vehicle...as you propably know the Transmission is part of the rear suspension and not attached to the LS1 at all.

Correct me I am wrong but at its core the C5 transmission is essentially a 4L60E minus the bellhousing?

I am unclear but that is my understanding in so far.

You are correct, the C5 uses the 4L60E if it's automatic, and the T56 if it's a manual.

quote:

Originally posted by timish:
Otherwise they are identical as far as load capacity, fluid, etc.

Tim

I don't believe that is true. For example, check out:
http://www.gm.com/automotive/gmpowertrain/transmissions/hydra/apps/4t65.htm
And then go to the 4l65e. the 4t is rated to 280lb-ft and the 4l to 380lb-ft. Different gear ratios too. (doesnt prove much there, that can be changed easy)
And thinking of the physical limitations, it is not possible to simply turn a RWD tranny sideways and put it between the front wheels.
They are totally different design.

And thinking of the physical limitations, it is not possible to simply turn a RWD tranny sideways and put it between the front wheels.

Not to raise any arguments...and yes this is a bit distantly related but not off topic.

Did not the Oldsmobile Toronado the first front wheel drive and V8 vehicle essentially use a laterally installed TH400 transmission? I read that somewhere. What was the Toronado's transmission designated as?

Thanks-

The oldies here should like this question
smile.gif

Jason, i replaced my '98 GTP's trans fluid and filter at 28k on the dial. Same story with the relatively thick layer of paste on the magnet, but my pan and filter were free of that stuff.

As far as getting the filter seal out, i probably did you did-- small screwdriver and pry it out from the inside. What i was more concerned with was getting the new one IN! I put the assembly together and lightly rapped the seal side with a hammer. Kinda dented the filter, but not enough that i'm TOO worried.

My owners manual claims a 10qt capacity, and when i did the dump-n-fill, it was a tick over 7.

I'll probably make this a yearly ritual. It was messy the first time, but i figure it'll get easier the more i do.
smile.gif

ferb!

Jason,
I have a 98 GP GT that I have the factory Helm service manuals for. Capacity for pan removal is approximately 8 quarts and 10 quarts for a complete overhaul so you are replaceing the majority of the fluid with just the pan removeal.

Another thing I noticed in the manual was that the GTP cars get the 4T65HD transmissions while the others get the 4T65 tranny. The fluid capacities were the same for both.

Wayne

Great, Thanks Ferb and Wayne! Good info.

Yeah I had to hammer it in too which put a small dent also. Why they couldn't just have it bolt in with a simple flat gasket...
dunno.gif

outrun, that sounds familiar I think I heard that too. Maybe someone knows the answer.

The shifting seems to have improved since the fluid swap. Didn't improve immediately after but I drove yesterday and seems much firmer. Maybe the fluid was worn or maybe it is the Red Line ATF. Or both, being loaded up with wear metals probably didn't help things. I think I will still get a shift kit as it could be better yet.

Turbo-Hydramatic 425

Ran off of a chain.

Also used in GMC Motorhomes, a FWD platform with air suspension in rear.

Joe Mondello ($$$ engine rebuilder) provided Olds motors in performance spec for those motorhome owners with stars in their eyes; some capable of cresting Grapevine and other mountain passes at 90 mph.

Also used in Cadillac Eldorado, 1967-1978.

Some of those same GMC motorhome owners went with Cad rebuilds of 512 cid with 425 HP and 590 TQ.

Some tranny to put up with that. Essentially the same as the TH400.

The service manual for my Monte Carlo states 7.4 qts on a pan drop, 10 qts for an overhaul, 13 qts total capacity. I don't know why the overhaul would be different than the total, perhaps they're not counting the torque converter.
dunno.gif

the capacity is around 13 quarts/12 litres.

Do you have any mods done to your gtp?

Go to www.clubgp.com i think you will like it their, and if you have any questions, their is a wealth of knowledge their just about grand prixs, especially gtp's

Roman
99 GP GT

The capacity is of a pan/filter service such as you did is 5-6 qts, I am surprised you got in 7
smile.gif

However your ENTIRE system capacity....all the stuff that still remained in your torque convertor. cooler, valve bodies, and in the rest of the intricate vessels in your tranny come up to 14.5.

How do I know this?

I am a firm believer in the complete ATF flush service. All standard pan service does is remove a fraction of fluid and dilute it with the older stuff.

Anyway like i said I was surprised you got 7 qts out!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back