96 Civic - 5w30 Castrol Magnatec

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's my latest UOA on the 96 Civic. This time I upped the viscosity to 5w30, Castrol Magnatec. It was working so well, no engine complaints, that I forgot it was 6-7 months since I last changed the oil! I like how it stayed in the viscosity range better than the GTX (5w20) on the previous change. On the graph the two UOA on the right are the Toyota brand (mobil) 5w20, you can tell, no moly.

Let me know what everyone thinks.. I kind of don't like the Iron increasing, and a showing of nickel.. but share your opinions/knowledge..

96 civic 012819.jpg

Last edited:
Looks very good, I'd be happy about that.

Did you notice any reduction in engine noise going from the GTX 5w20 to the Magnatec 5w30? Did you use Magnatec for the current fill?

Originally Posted by SatinSilver
Looks very good, I'd be happy about that.

Did you notice any reduction in engine noise going from the GTX 5w20 to the Magnatec 5w30? Did you use Magnatec for the current fill?

Hey Satinsilver.. thanks for your thoughts! I guess it could be A LOT worse!

I did notice that the engine was "smoother" sounding with the Magnatec. More like it should sound. If it quieted down, it might have, but again, it was more smooth sounding, more uniform if that makes sense. I did use Magnatec 5w30 for the new oil fill, both of these are the D1G2 versions.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Virtus_Probi
Is this a rebuilt engine?
I was flabbergasted to see 16kmiles on a '96...

lol.. it was rebuilt back in 04 due to some really bad honda dealer technicians. They screwed up a timing belt job, the crankshaft pulley "walked" the crankshaft. Rebuilt the lower end/block, cylinder head.. Since then, it has about 80-100k (have to check my records) on the rebuild. Total miles is around 215k on the body. The 16k you see is from the new speedometer/odometer unit that was replaced. (It's on the test sheet).

Originally Posted by Char Baby
Good report as far as metal content PPM. However it seem as thought the oil had sheared quite a bit. Am I wrong?

I did a VOA on this 5w30 Magnatec D1G2 (I think I posted it in the VOA section) and according to Blackstone, new viscosity is 10.25. So it sheared 1.12 cSt.

Last edited:
Good report as far as metal content PPM. However it seem as thought the oil had sheared quite a bit. Am I wrong?
Or there is more fuel than just a trace-the FP is down to 370 as well. Magnatec 5W30 looks like a good choice for this engine, it needs more viscosity.

Originally Posted by bullwinkle
Or there is more fuel than just a trace-the FP is down to 370 as well. Magnatec 5W30 looks like a good choice for this engine, it needs more viscosity.

hey bullwinkle.. I've definitely fixed the fuel issues, replaced all fuel injectors, fuel regulator, rail, it's definitely not leaking fuel anymore. Might be the short trips I have here in town, they're usually 7-8 miles. So you say it needs a higher viscosity? What's your thoughts? 10w30? Or just a thicker 5w30, since I know that Castrol Edge is "thicker" for a 5w30.

Originally Posted by researcher
Thanks 53' Stude!
grin2.gif

You're welcome. My co worker with a 99' Accord 4cylinder and 4 speed uses this oil and says it runs quieter than on other oils. I haven't tried Magnatec yet

Originally Posted by 53' Stude
Thanks 53' Stude!
grin2.gif

You're welcome. My co worker with a 99' Accord 4cylinder and 4 speed uses this oil and says it runs quieter than on other oils. I haven't tried Magnatec yet

I would agree that it runs "smoother" and more uniform, like it should sound. I heard good things about it after trying the GTX, figured why not?! The GTX I didn't like the re-formulation they did, so that's another reason why I moved on to the Magnatec. But about your co-worker, yeah I would agree. It just "sounds right", I know that's crazy to say about an oil.

I did a VOA on this 5w30 Magnatec D1G2 (I think I posted it in the VOA section) and according to Blackstone, new viscosity is 10.25. So it sheared 1.12 cSt.

Ahh, I see.
IDK where the oil started at in a VOA and, I am not implying that the report is not good, it's very good in fact. Nice!
I guess that what I am looking at in the report is the range that Blackstone published in the top 3 areas:

SUS Visc, cST Visc & Flashpoint are at/near the low end of Blackstone's range, which lead me to think that the oil had sheared. The TBN is still great!
smile.gif

Ahh, I see.
IDK where the oil started at in a VOA and, I am not implying that the report is not good, it's very good in fact. Nice!
I guess that what I am looking at in the report is the range that Blackstone published in the top 3 areas:

SUS Visc, cST Visc & Flashpoint are at/near the low end of Blackstone's range, which lead me to think that the oil had sheared. The TBN is still great!
smile.gif

You're right, you make a good point. That's why I like everyone's perspective on it, different angle of looking at things than I was. All those were on the low end of the scale! I've already changed the oil with 5w30 Magnatec, going to run that for a bit and use my oil extractor to send that in for a UOA see how it's doing in maybe 2k miles. That's why I do these UOA's to see what the engine "likes". If I find that it's shearing at 2k miles I'll be looking at Castrol Edge to try. What's funny is that the civic is known to be easy on oil. So that's why I'm wondering if all the short trips is what affected it.

Oh and this oil started at 10.25 cSt, I made sure to do a VOA before starting that why I'd know how much did it fall. The flashpoint was 425 when new, fell to 370.

smile.gif

Flashpoint is not an indicator of mechanical shear, all of those point to fuel dilution.

Originally Posted by kschachn
smile.gif

Flashpoint is not an indicator of mechanical shear, all of those point to fuel dilution.

Then, that points to the short tripping that I've been doing. Since it never gets hot enough to burn stuff off. I already know the fuel system is fixed properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back