Which 5W40 do you like best?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by edyvw
If you read back label of Pennzoil it says: SOPUS (Shell Oil Products United States).

Yes, and it's not playing the weasel word game that the Canadian Tire house brand line is playing, with some products being officially approved and others not having approvals, only recommendations. Given the on sale price of the Pennzoil, Castrol, and Mobil European products (with actual OEM certs), I'm not sure what market share Canadian Tire is trying to seize.

This is something that Canadian Tire should have done years back when the only A3/B4 options were GC and M1 0w-40 in 1 litre bottles at atrocious prices. Now, with PP 5w-40, Castrol 0w-40, and Mobil 1 0w-40 available regularly on special at a pittance (by Canadian standards, at least), Canadian Tire is locking the warehouse door, as it were, after the horse already got out.

Years ago, Canadians were buying HDEOs in an effort to save a few bucks on Euro oil pricing, and even buying RP 0w-40 at a cheaper price. When a customer needed a Euro oil or even an semi-sensible substitute HDEO, at a decent price, Canadian Tire was nowhere to be found, with even their HDEOs through the roof. Now, when so many European vehicles have already moved to C3 type lubricants, Canadian Tire comes up with an alternative A3/B4? What spectacular timing.

Originally Posted by sohccammer427
[Linked Image]

Back when I owned a '06 VW Jetta Tdi, 505.01 was kinda an elusive oil and if you did find some it was a little pricey. Now Supertech (Wally World) offers it for around $6.00/qt.

I can't seem to locate this 5w40 Supertech European Formula on the Walmart website.

That could technically be a Canadian only product. While made in the U.S.A., it's for Walmart Canada, and our Supertech is sourced differently from American Walmarts. We also get 5 gallon pails of most Supertech oils, and Supertech ATF and hydraulic oil, also in 5 gallon pails.

I'm going with Liqui Moly...$56 for the 6L kit with filter and drain plug etc. For twice a year it's not a huge cost.

Originally Posted by inline5
Ah, makes sense. I just noticed sohccammer427 is in Canada.

Don't worry, Walmart doesn't exactly make it easy to figure these things out.
wink.gif
I'm still curious as to who provided them their synthetics up here. I know it's Safety-Kleen for their conventional offerings in Canada. Personally, I've never paid a great deal of attention to their synthetics, even less attention than happens in the States. First off, they're relatively recent up here. Then, when you're getting Castrol 0w-40 or M1 0w-40 or Pennzoil 5w-40 at a great price already (similarly with the ILSAC grades), a buck a jug cheaper (or ever a higher price) for the Supertech product isn't much of an attraction. Up here, to make matters worse, the Walmart house brand conventional hasn't been traditionally significantly cheaper than other name brand conventionals, either. However, the 5 gallon pails of Supertech up here are too good of a price to ignore, and on occasion (i.e. Christmas, not sure if it happened this year), the jugs will go to something like $6 per gallon.

At our Walmarts, it seems if you want a deal, buy what's on special, and the Supertech isn't necessarily one of those. Or, grab a 5 gallon pail of the Supertech, and that will be a good deal.

Originally Posted by Mainia
Originally Posted by FlyPenFly
Redline Euro 5w40, NOACK of 6%, HTHS 4.3 and calcium under 2000ppm.

And cannot get ANY approval.

Then it must be junk, right?

Junk is not. Is it worth that money? No. Are there better oils? Yes.

I would be interested in seeing your list of these and the reasons why. Always looking for alternative options.

I would be interested in seeing your list of these and the reasons why. Always looking for alternative options.

List? Look approved oils.

List? Look approved oils.

I could care less if they're approved or not. Why are they better? You're clearly saying there are better oils. In what manner are they "better"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back