Lube for rubber (not silicone) bushings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would silicone spray or white lithium grease be preferable for rubber bushings? This would be assembly lube to get the bushings easier on and oriented properly. I am looking for the product least deleterious to rubber. Someone recommended Synco Super Lube. Would that be an option?

I see that's specifically an assembly lube that dries and biodegrades. Sounds good. Thanks for the recommendation.

Isn't WD40 hydrocarbon-based? That can't be great for rubber, I think? I do like the idea of a product that breaks down after a short while. I do not want permanently sticky lube that attracts dirt. I am also considering glycerin soap

wd-40 almost completely evaporates. I could see it doing a decent job for that.

I've always used rubber grease. It's castor based, so after you've smeared grease on the bushes, you need to wipe the excess off your fingers on the exhaust system....you won't regret it.

I recently learned that WD-40 contains wax. That might explain why it works on hoses so well.

When you say rubber, I think of rubber from a tree. To me, rubber is natural rubber and is rarely encountered (elastic bands?). EPDM is the synthetic rubber that 99% of what the layman calls rubber is made of. You can lube EPDM with silicone or graphite.

Originally Posted by maxdustington
I recently learned that WD-40 contains wax. That might explain why it works on hoses so well.

When you say rubber, I think of rubber from a tree. To me, rubber is natural rubber and is rarely encountered (elastic bands?). EPDM is the synthetic rubber that 99% of what the layman calls rubber is made of. You can lube EPDM with silicone or graphite.

To me, rubber means various rubber-like synthetic elastomers, whether ACN, SBR, EPDM, silicone, or urethane. If I had meant natural rubber, I'd have said latex or gutta-percha. I think I'll first try soap and see how that works out. I like the hand-cleaning factor. ;-)

Originally Posted by rooflessVW
Water-based "personal lubricant" is cheap, easy to get, and works great.

And people will envy me when I go buy a gallon of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back