Is PPPP low calcium? LSPI

Status
Not open for further replies.
My brother has a 17 Cruze. Dealer says #2 piston is cracked. He uses PPPP 5w-30. I thought this was a low calcium oil, no?

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
If it was Dexos1 Generation 2, then yes, it is.

Chris, doesnt the PP "EURO L" have lower calcium also?

Thanks

That oil has been low calcium since it was reformulated for dexos1 Gen 2 around Sept. 2017, it was higher in calcium before.
The occurrence of LSPI can only be lowered by using LSPI-resistant oils (d1G2, SN+) in engines that are susceptible to it, it really can't be completely eliminated.
Oils that meet these standards are allowed to have a limited number of LSPI events during testing.

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
It was about 1200ppm IIRC, the VOA is posted on the board. However, I don't know if GM would still honor warranty for using a Dexos 2 oil in something that called for D1G2.

I thought the present dexos2 standard included LSPI testing based upon an article I found featuring an interview with an Opel engineer, but Brigadier read the article a lot more carefully than I did and convinced me that is not the case.
I guess there is something like a dexos2 Gen 2 coming...

It is not the oil. There is a chain of events which must happen there is a few things you can do like keep the combustion chamber clean.

Since this is a relatively new vehicle it would be interesting to know how many miles on it, what kind of driving routine it went through, etc.

Has it been diagnosed as LSPI caused damage by the tech or assumed?

Originally Posted by Srt20
My brother has a 17 Cruze. Dealer says #2 piston is cracked. He uses PPPP 5w-30. I thought this was a low calcium oil, no?

Did he buy this vehicle new? Who is footing the repair bill? Unless the brother has detailed prior oil change records and up-to-date on vehicle services needed, little chance GM buys the new piston repair, unless this problem has been rampant with that engine and bordering a recall.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en

Did he buy this vehicle new? Who is footing the repair bill? Unless the brother has detailed prior oil change records and up-to-date on vehicle services needed, little chance GM buys the new piston repair, unless this problem has been rampant with that engine and bordering a recall.

I doubt your claim of GM not footing bill will be correct. GM has warranted engines with no oil changes and ran low on oil.

The car was bought new as a holdover in fall. I dont recall the miles, but its under 15k, possibly under 10k. He bought it from the dealer its at now.

He took it in for a check engine light. They had all day and called him this afternoon. Its running and driving yet, or it was until they started working on it.

According to my brother per the phone call, this is not the first Cruze with a broken piston at this dealership, and a scan of Google shows this isnt uncommon.

If Im able I will go with him to dealer tomorrow to get his loaner and get a good explanation. My brother is not mechanically inclined, or patient.

Last edited:
This should definitely be covered by the warranty.

The other possibility is that a bad batch of pistons made it through quality control. If one piston is cracked, what about the others.

If fixed, an extended warranty should be given.

Yeah, not worried about warranty. Did nothing to void warranty.

I was just curious as the calcium content of the oil. I thought it was low calcium and it looks like that is correct.

I'll see what I can find out tomorrow afternoon. Sounds like GM may have some ECU and or pistons updates on the 18's.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en

What is a "detailed prior oil change record"? I buy from Amazon or Walmart or wherever, save the receipt and mark on iCal the date/mileage I changed it. With the possible exception of there being no oil in the engine at the time of inspection there isn't a car company around who at 15K miles is going to start demanding "detailed records" for an issue that is clearly a manufacturing defect. The number of people here who live their lives in constant fear of warranty denials is crazy on BITOG. I can only guess this "myth" is carried over from and propagated by the dealers on some level to make people think they NEED to use the dealer maintenance services to get warranty service.

Last edited:
Detailed also means visits on record with the dealer service department, to have work done on parts outlined in the owners manual that need periodic attention / replacement.

Someone noted here that dealers have gotten lax / turned the other cheek, on not covering warranty work when service intervals for our new vehicles have not been met prior.

Outside of my brand new Hyundai, I haven't dealt with any service department since my 2004 Colorado was purchased new.

I guess things have changed in the past 10-15 years. That's good for the purchaser who lags in getting proper service on the warranty vehicle.

Brother called with an update. Car has 7500 miles on. Has had 1 oil change.

Advisor was talking about oil and how this "could" be caused by improper oil weight or spec. PPPP was used in proper weight, I assume thats 5w-30, I dont recall. And it was D1G2. Advisor said GM recommends Mobil 1. It has a M1 filter on it, so advisor assumed it had M1 oil in it, brother didnt correct him. Not that it matters, the oil used meets GM specs.

They are in process of teardown. Has yet to talk to GM. Advisor said they've seen cracked/broken pistons on this engine cruze before. And gave my brother a loaner.

My brother was nervous that they would deny warranty. I assured him that there was nothing to be worried about. That even a "bad" lawyer would eat this up. I told him I was very confident GM would update his ECU and give him 4 new pistons on their dime. Both updates on the 2018, per google.

I will tell him to push for GM to extend the engine warranty for his troubles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back