What oil would you recommend for 2014 Sienna

I recently purchased a 2014 Sienna and did my first oil change, I went with Mobil1 EP 0w-20 oil and a Fram Ultra filter and to me it seems the engine is louder with this oil. I have no idea what oil was in before this.

I am fairly new to Toyota, I had a few Dodge's and Honda's in the past but not much experience with Toyota. Is there an oil brand and weight that would work better for my van? Maybe someone has had some experience with this vehicle and different oils?

One of the guys on here with a 15' Sienna uses M1 5w30 EP along with an oem filter. I'd run this at least 5k miles/6 months minimum before dumping. And up to 10k/ 1 year.

Another option is Castrol Magnatec 5w30 which is known to run quiet from many reports on here.

We've used mostly M1 5w30 in the 2010 Sienna (probably about 150k of the 185k it's been driven). This has the same 2GR-FE as your Sienna.
It gets changed anywhere between 5k to 10k, depending on convenience and usage.

The van runs smoothly and, fortunately, uses an imperceptible amount of oil, essentially none at all (perhaps .5 oz per thousand miles).

I wouldn't sweat it too much!

The Sienna still specs dino or syn 5w30 at 5k intervals, so I use syn and don't sweat the interval as long as it's between 5-10k.
The Camry specs 0w20 at 10k intervals, so I plan to follow that (just got the car last spring so have just done one oil change).

This was a transition period for Toyota, from 5w30 @5k to 0w20 @ 10k.

Might be the Ultra. I can't use it on my GM 6.0. Too much startup rattle. My GF's dad has a 2012. Its a noisy engine. Dealer oil. Water pump was bad, its a little quieter after repair. I think you should wait and see what happens long term after switching oils. Try a Fram TG instead of the Ultra. I bet the engine quiets down over time.

Originally Posted by diyjake
I recently purchased a 2014 Sienna and did my first oil change, I went with Mobil1 EP 0w-20 oil and a Farm Ultra filter and to me it seems the engine is louder with this oil. I have no idea what oil was in before this.

I am fairly new to Toyota, I had a few Dodge's and Honda's in the past but not much experience with Toyota. Is there an oil brand and weight that would work better for my van? Maybe someone has had some experience with this vehicle and different oils?

M1 EP 0W20. If TIG1 can use M1 0w20 or 5w20 as he has before 0w20 for 50 years or close to it; it's good enough for me
smile.gif

I'm probably wrong on this, but I use whatever is on sale. Synthetic or a blend. 5K, just because it is easy to remember. Never had an issue. I got 11 jugs of the Havoline Pro DS Synthetic for $7 each. That should last a while.
smile.gif

Last edited:
My wife's 07 Avalon has the same 2GR engine. It's a short-tripper, with only 70k on the odo at age 12. During the early years, I used a few fills of the "legendary" (at least here on BITOG in the early 2000s) 0w-30 "GC" (so-called German Castrol -- the emerald green, Syntec). It ran great with that, but once I ran through my stash of that, it's been on M1-EP 5w-30 since, changed once per year. I have not UOA-ed it for a long time, but subjectively, it runs very nicely on the M1, and experiences no noticeable consumption. The oil does darken more than it did in my old 04 Prius, though I have no explanation for that. This April, when it's time to change, based upon tribologist consultant recommendation, I'll be changing to the M1 ESP formula, and we'll see how that goes. You can clearly use any oil you choose, within specs of course, with very little chance the oil will be the source of trouble.

EDIT: during this MY (2007) the manual recommends 5w-30, but it has been officially "back spec-ed" to the 20wt oils. I just keep on since what we've done has worked so well, and because this car's mileage will suck (relative term from Prius driver...) no matter what oil we use. . .

Last edited:
I can't tell much difference between Pennzoil Plat and Mobil-1 in my Tacoma, but Pennzoil/Quaker State Syn is noticeably quieter than Mobil-1 in the Honda Minivan.

I recently purchased a 2014 Sienna and did my first oil change, I went with Mobil1 EP 0w-20 oil and a Fram Ultra filter and to me it seems the engine is louder with this oil. I have no idea what oil was in before this.

Did you buy it from a dealership? If so they may have some service records for the vehicle. The EP 0w20 is arguably one of the absolute best 0w20's available, same can be said for that filter you chose. The previous oil could have been a 30 weight which could well be why it was quieter.
Originally Posted by Urshurak776
I'm probably wrong on this, but I use whatever is on sale. Synthetic or a blend. 5K, just because it is easy to remember. Never had an issue. I got 11 jugs of the Havoline Pro DS Synthetic for $7 each. That should last a while.
smile.gif

10k oci should be just as easy to remember.

Originally Posted by ekpolk
My wife's 07 Avalon has the same 2GR engine. It's a short-tripper, with only 70k on the odo at age 12. During the early years, I used a few fills of the "legendary" (at least here on BITOG in the early 2000s) 0w-30 "GC" (so-called German Castrol -- the emerald green, Syntec). It ran great with that, but once I ran through my stash of that, it's been on M1-EP 5w-30 since, changed once per year. I have not UOA-ed it for a long time, but subjectively, it runs very nicely on the M1, and experiences no noticeable consumption. The oil does darken more than it did in my old 04 Prius, though I have no explanation for that. This April, when it's time to change, based upon tribologist consultant recommendation, I'll be changing to the M1 ESP formula, and we'll see how that goes. You can clearly use any oil you choose, within specs of course, with very little chance the oil will be the source of trouble.

EDIT: during this MY (2007) the manual recommends 5w-30, but it has been officially "back spec-ed" to the 20wt oils. I just keep on since what we've done has worked so well, and because this car's mileage will suck (relative term from Prius driver...) no matter what oil we use. . .

What is so special about M1 ESP? I don't remember ever seeing in the stores but then again I was never looking for it.

Because M1 has better cleaning and suspension additives compared to other oils.

Originally Posted by SatinSilver
One of the guys on here with a 15' Sienna uses M1 5w30 EP along with an oem filter. I'd run this at least 5k miles/6 months minimum before dumping. And up to 10k/ 1 year.

Another option is Castrol Magnatec 5w30 which is known to run quiet from many reports on here.

Yeah that would be me
smile.gif

Originally Posted by LeakySeals

Because M1 has better cleaning and suspension additives compared to other oils.

Really? Care o explain to us that? We are all ears!

What is so special about M1 ESP? I don't remember ever seeing in the stores but then again I was never looking for it.

M1 ESP is made for European diesels and gas engines using ULSG. Mobil1 ESP Formula 5W30 (recently discontinued) was probably best oil in that category, but that is NOT your ordinary 5W30 ILSAC GF-5 oil. HTHS was 3.58cp, and KV100 almost on par with W40 engines. It is absolute overkill for any Toyota here in the US. In Europe, that oil is though recommended for these 2GR engines, but European roads have different driving requirements.
In Sienna I use Mobil1 5W30 EP. Reason is that twice a week I ski, and climb I70 where I keep engine using manual mode above 4000rpms for like 45min to an hour. Call me old fashion, but I am not believer in these W20 oils. But, do not overkill it. I think jump to W30, either 0W or 5W will do.
I went with Mobil1 5W30 EP as it meets ACEA A5/B5, has bit more additives. But, seriously, in this engine you can use ANY synthetic oil 0/5W30 and be fine. It is simple, proven engine.
Also, I used FRAM Ultra first two oil changes. I did first oil change 3K (as I do not know who owned car before me, I got it with 42k on ODO). Than 5K using mix of 0W20 and leftovers of 0W40 (2 qt) I had from my VW CC from like 4yrs ago. And now using M1 5W30 EP and OEM filter. Reason for OEM filter is that dealership had sale, 3 filters for $12. It fits better in housing than FRAM. I will change this every 8k. No need for every 5K if you use oil such as EP as this is port injection engine.
M1 will be bit louder. I had that issue in my Passat 1.8T, in VW CC 2.0T and once I used in Tiguan 0W40. Interestingly, M1 ESP Formula that I used in my X5 diesel that I traded in for Sienna did not exhibit any more noise than other oils I used in that diesel.
Do not overthink. I got Sienna to keep it 15 years until kids are out. Though, pay attention on some assembly things, as IMO car is below average in built quality.

Last edited:
Because M1 has better cleaning and suspension additives compared to other oils. [/quote]
Hope your kidding, right? Sounds like a fanboy blanket statement to me. Pennzoil just to name one brand is just as good or better at that function and I'm not a Pennzoil fan by any means.

Back