Weather today

Status
Not open for further replies.
While not bad for some people today's high of -3F and windchill approaching -40f is a shocker here.

Locally winds gusting over 30mph so far.
so

[Linked Image]

Yesterday wasnt quite as bad.. went past the school bus stop.. idiot kids are out in hoodies with no jacket....... or is that idiot parents?

Makes one wonder how folks from around the 1800s got through winters like that......no sissys need apply on a wagon train of old.

Originally Posted by Rand
Yesterday wasnt quite as bad.. went past the school bus stop.. idiot kids are out in hoodies with no jacket....... or is that idiot parents?
I never ever wanted to wear my jacket when I were a lad, as a school aged kid you are either inside of a heated building or outside playing to stay warm.

Listening to the police scanner here: https://www.broadcastify.com/

Accidents have been non-stop all day. Lots of road patches that are refreezing. Knock on wood, but slowing down usually works.

I was trying to plow out my workplace entrance and had cars sliding all over the place:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Even when I was a teenager, it was a big thing to show that the cold didn't affect you (apparently).
My dad cleaned up schools for a living when I was in HS and they gave him dark blue pants, light blue short sleeved button down shirts, and dark blue jackets to wear. He was about to throw a jacket out one day because a dry cleaner messed up and dissolved all the insulation, just the outer shell and lining were left...I thought it would be cool to look like a working man and he let me have it. This thing made a hoodie look like a parka for an Antarctic expedition by comparison and it became my winter coat...it kept the wind off of me, but did little to protect me from cold, snow, rain, or anything else. Being as how we lived near Chicago, there were plenty of times I was cold in it...but I really didn't care, I liked the look and feeling like I could tell the elements that I was in charge. Very few kids that I knew would ever wear something like a heavy parka to school, it just made you into a target for scorn...
I was a little bigger than dad when I snagged the jacket but then had a growth spurt, so the thing was ridiculous on me by the next winter. I talked dad into buying me a surplus US Army field jacket (M65??) and then I had a great combo of something that was warm and that I also thought was super cool! I'm sure most of the kids in my HS thought I was some combo of a poser and a dork, but I didn't care...
Now, my top concerns for winter outerwear are warm and dry and I don't care much about the looks. Tried an Australian waxed cotton heavy jacket some years ago and didn't like the feel, then I gave up on leather because of the weight and not wanting to wear it in rain and snow. I just wear regular LL Bean/Columbia/North Face type stuff and don't worry about it being plain looking, plus I have a long wool JC Penney coat I bought for a song during the great recession for really cold days with no snow (like tomorrow).

Going to be cold here soon, but nothing like the Midwest is right now. I hope all my friends and family in my old stomping grounds stay warm and safe! I remember one bad stretch in our house in the NW suburbs of Chicago when it was painful to get within 10 feet of the door into our garage from the kitchen, much less even think about going outside....

Originally Posted by CourierDriver
Makes one wonder how folks from around the 1800s got through winters like that......no sissys need apply on a wagon train of old.

People used to head to the outhouse during blizzards on the Plains and never come back...then the family had to go search for them after the storm and maybe dig in a 10 foot drift to find them for burial.
I like modernity!

Must've sucked for farmers trying to keep their animals warm and fed. Houses weren't insulated at all back then, let alone barns.

"Mr. Donner, your party is waiting at the pass."

Originally Posted by Uphill_Both_Ways
Originally Posted by A_Harman
"Mr. Donner, your party is waiting at the pass."
Honey, please pass the Donner.

I like Donner kebabs!

Originally Posted by Rand
While not bad for some people today's high of -3F and windchill approaching -40f is a shocker here.

Locally winds gusting over 30mph so far.
so

At least temps will be approaching 50 in a couple of days

They didn't sit around and get fat and eat salad they ate red meat and pork fat thin as rails cause they busted their butts for a living.

Originally Posted by oilpsi2high

....Must've sucked for farmers trying to keep their animals warm and fed...

Still is in many places. Livestock can freeze.

It's 55° F and cloudy. It may start drizzling a bit later today, although it's now sunny. I had two Irish coffee help me warm up and I put on a windbreaker before I left the house.

It was 54 and breezy today. Had to have a shot of firecracker this evening to warm up.

-30 indicated in the Chevy on the way to work around 7:30 this morning. I was praying all night it would fire up, if the battery gets too cold the ECM will require plugging in to warm the cells. No issues, however! It was funny listening to it crank over after sitting for 10 hours outside today, it's unlike any other car at that temperature since is has a HUGE electric motor to turn the engine vs. a tiny (by comparison) starter motor. Couldn't have been more than a few revolutions before it fired.

Many others were not so lucky this morning, last I heard tow trucks were running between 4 and 6 hours out, at best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back