2019 Hyundai 2.4 oil reqt?

Status
Not open for further replies.
According to the owner's manual (https://carmanuals2.com/get/hyundai-sonata-2019-owner-s-manual-113003), it is either 5W-20, 5W-30, or 10W-30:

2019_01_28_07_42_55_2019_hyundai_sonata_113003.jpg

Originally Posted by ernied
does anyone know what the 2019 Hyundai 2.4 calls for oil?
synthetic or conventional .and what grade?
5/20 or 5/30.

I will be using 5W30, here in Southern Michigan. Your location has probably somewhat similar temps. Good choices are (synthetic)
Quaker State Ultimate Durability
Castrol Magnatec
Pennzoil Platinum
Valvoline Modern Engine
Mobil-1 regular, extra or annual
(not naming any boutique/craft oils here)
I suspect brands like Castrol Syntec / Motorcraft....etc.... will soon be SN Plus and carry low levels of Calcium too for 5w30 (sub 1100 cal). The rates for Magnesium will be 500+.... my opinion / wish list.

When GF6 is introduced, all bets are off with these D.I and/or turbo applications. Don;t be shocked to see them recommend any higher-end conventional. The add-packs could also change noticeably.

Last edited:
My kia has the same engine, I've tried them all
smile.gif
From the dealer's bulk to Amsoil.
My engine LOVES the Pennzoil Platinum 5w30 (not Ultra), which is now updated to meet D1G2.
Also my wallet loves the rebates Pennzoil runs every once in a while.

Last edited:
I have a 2017 Sonata with now 35K on the clock and run either M1 5w-30 or P Platinum 5w-30. Zero Issues. My change interval is 8K

If it were mine, I would use the cheapest 5w-30 Synthetic (Supertech or Rural King for a cheap regular price, or Mobil 1 or PP with rebates) and change it every 5000 miles.

On my Santa Fe with the 3.3, that is what I will be doing.

Your driving habits may dictate a different interval, but for any GDI engine, 5w-30 synthetic is what I would stick with

I've used everything and have had zero issue with any of my 2.4 equipped Theta ll engines throughout the years.

Everything:
5w20, 5w30 and 10w30 (mostly 5w20)
Syn and Convl (mostly syn)
87 and 93 oct (mostly 87)

Last edited:
*Same vehicle as yours and oil used ... Just curious on your OCI if you are mainly driving high way miles ? What average speed is showing on your display during the end of your OCI ? My suburban driving gets a severe service OCI schedule (3,750) as by 2,000 miles into a OCI the oil is dark and smells of fuel dilution . My average speed shown during my OCI's is 25MPH.
Originally Posted by Mkos1980
I have a 2017 Sonata with now 35K on the clock and run either M1 5w-30 or P Platinum 5w-30. Zero Issues. My change interval is 8K

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back