Uneducated car people bother me

Status
Not open for further replies.
I read a book one time called don't sweat the small stuff. I don't let that bother me at all. I like talking to people and if they are not 100% correct on everything it's fine with me.

Originally Posted by FlyPenFly
Unless someone asks for help, stay in your own lane.

01.gif

If it doesn't concern me personally, I let it slide. If they are giving misinformation to others, I speak up.

I have no trouble chatting with people, however, if a car topic comes up an average person's meager (if you're lucky) grasp of mechanics pretty much precludes any conversation.

MOST RECENT EXPERIENCE: After passing NJ Inspection I, with my BIL, chatted briefly with a woman who's car had just failed.
She had a code which pointed at the upstream O2 sensor.
I mentioned that her 140,000 mile old Chevy might just need a new sensor as the "upstream one always goes first" but a code can be "from a working part that reported it".
"Vacuum leaks and immobilized parts can cause codes", I said.

My inclusion of these other possibilities left her blank.

I didn't want to alert her to the fact that her engine bay was filthy and appeared horribly neglected.

She needed a friend.

Last edited:
This is why I hate car shopping. Not to be uppity, but I nearly always know more about the car than the salesman. Some of the crap I have heard them say to me is laughable. I love educating them on the cars they're selling.

Originally Posted by Throt
This is why I hate car shopping. Not to be uppity, but I nearly always know more about the car than the salesman. Some of the crap I have heard them say to me is laughable. I love educating them on the cars they're selling.

You assume they care. They say what sells cars.

Originally Posted by Danno
This is why I hate car shopping.
I love educating them on the cars they're selling.

Which is it?

Haha fair enough! It's gives me mild joy during the shopping process.
wink.gif

Originally Posted by Danno
This is why I hate car shopping.
I love educating them on the cars they're selling.

Which is it?

Isn't it clear? It's a hate/love relationship. It's not always just one or the other. He's in a superposition of states.

The way I look at it is that I'm not educated on everything. So I know cars, big deal, the guy/gal that doesn't know cars may have a vastly superior knowledge on other topics that I'm ignorant of.

Car knowledge is not exactly a sign of some sort of superior intellect.

Originally Posted by KrisZ
The way I look at it is that I'm not educated on everything. So I know cars, big deal, the guy/gal that doesn't know cars may have a vastly superior knowledge on other topics that I'm ignorant of.

Car knowledge is not exactly a sign of some sort of superior intellect.

This. I could care less if my doctor knows anything about cars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back