65" 4K $498

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got a Walmart flyer that had a TCL 65" 4K TV for $498!
TCL is a lower tier TV but for $498 for someone with not a lot of money to spend is a screaming deal.

Funny they should run this deal just before Super Bowl,odd huh?

My first gut reaction is to laugh and "bad mouth" this brand of TV. But I do remember quite a few years ago that our TV broke a couple of days before the Superbowl and I needed one....fast.
I went to WM and bought a no-name (at the time) TV and I thought to myself that I'd be happy if this TV lasted over a year. We still watch the same TV, probably close to 10 years now, and it still has a good picture.
As compared to my brother who bought a much higher-dollared Samsung that failed very early and has a bad reputation for failure.
The name of our "no name" TV was Vizio. I purchased this TV before Vizio became famous and now is at least a respected entry-level TV brand.

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
The TCL 6-series actually was rated among the best picture quality by a couple reputable review sites.

WM doesn't carry the 6 series.

GF has a TCL smart TV and several times I've had to do a cold reset when her Roku locked up. I feel that smart TVs are a bit like laptops. When the Roku or computer screen breaks is it time for a whole new device?

Last edited:
They will last but you will find the brightness uniformity will be poor. The use fewer LEDs in the backlight so there will be bright and dark spots in the screen. The larger the screen the more noticeable it is. It's not obvious but once you spot it you cant unsee it.

If you can live with that it will be as good a TV as any other. no marketing makes them cheap. Samsung,Sony,lg, Panasonic are already using the cheapest electronic components available and running them right up to their ratings so reliability will be similar.

I've seen grids of white LEDs brightening a screen. It wasn't well executed.

Is there a feature stat or level which protects the buyer from getting that bad a set?

Originally Posted by JC1
I wonder how long those cheap TVs will last. Those prices are about 40-50% less than the top rated tvs

Worth the risk IMO.

If it's $500 rather than $1000, and it lasts at least 1/2 as long, then it's already winning.

Its the TCL 4 series thats 498$. The 6 series has the good reviews but for the price, its a solid TV. TCL has been positively regarded. Vizio also has some good options, as does Samsung and LG. Those are the 4 brands Im currently considering.

Originally Posted by Kruse
As compared to my brother who bought a much higher-dollared Samsung that failed very early and has a bad reputation for failure.
The name of our "no name" TV was Vizio. I purchased this TV before Vizio became famous and now is at least a respected entry-level TV brand.

I chose a 65" Vizio over the other brands 6 years ago when I replaced our 61" rear projection Sony. The reason was we had Vizio's mounted on a lot of our CNC machine tools at work. These things ran 24/7, and were subjected to shaking, vibration, coolant mist, dirt, dust, oil, name it. Just about everything you can think of that's bad for electronics to be exposed to, and they saw it.

We never had one fail. Guys would soak the screens with Windex, (non Ammonia), and allow the overspray to drip, run, and go everywhere. They couldn't have gotten worse care. It sold me. Ours gets turned on early in the morning, when we get up. And it stays on all day until we go to bed. The picture is as crisp and clear as the day we plugged it in. And it has far better picture quality and color depth than the much newer 55" Samsung we purchased for our bedroom. I would by another Vizio in a heartbeat. You couldn't give me another Samsung appliance.

A counter point to billt460: I bought a 60" Vizio in June of 2015 because my parents have had one for ages and it still keeps trucking. There's is the much older CCFL backlit one! Well... 2 years and 9 months later, the backlight started dying in mine. Apparently a common problem and a nice "oh well" from Vizio, not that I expected anything but worth a shot. Gave it to my brother... currently has 4 dead strips, 2 of which are in the middle on the left right next to each other, one in the top right, and one on the bottom right. Our friends had the same model but smaller version and same issue after the same amount of time.

Replaced it with a 55" 4K Samsung MU6290, even on 1080p stuff it looks way better. My games on my One X look stunningly good. I also like Samsung's smart tv interface way better than Vizio's. I got the warranty on this one, my luck it'll last another 2 years and 9 months lol

I also highly recommend bias lighting, it looks cool and prevents eye strain! Screen shot, which is exactly what it looks like when playing, and then an actual picture of the TV

64E591B5-9011-4EE3-BEBC-267393C9C5CF.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Nothing wrong with them. My son got a 55" 4K Hisense Roku Tv on black friday from Wal-Mart and seems pretty good. He paid less than $200 for it with his employee discount.

i bought an Insignia 55" 4K last January to replace a still good 9 year old Sony 40" LCD.
i just wanted a bigger set.
from research the Insignia is a rebranded TCL made for Best Buy.
i thought the Insignia looked great.
but the sound had problems and the part was 2 months out and Best Buy says if we cant fix it in 30 days you get a new one.
so took it in and got full credit towards a Samsung 55" MU6300 4K set.
the Samsungs picture is sooooo much better than the Insignia.
but I did spend about $200 more to upgrade to the Samsung.
well worth it.
sidenote,the Insignias sound quality was so bad I bought a sound bar the next day.
the Samsungs speakers while not as good as the soundbar are fine.
if I had bought the Samsung first I would probably have not bought the sound bar.

There aren't many good sounding TVs, especially the cheaper ones. I will say that the Hisense Roku Tv isn;t that bad, but he has it connected to a sound bar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back