Walmart vs. Amazon Prime -- which one carries fresh stocks

I was disappointed when I got an old stock of M1 EP 0W-20 from Amazon Prime, which didn't have SN PLUS and the latest Ford approval. I know they haven't changed the formula but still... I went to Walmart and got one that carries the latest approvals. I will not buy oil from Amazon Prime again unless I don't have an option.

Amazon Prime M1 EP 0W-20:

[Linked Image]

Walmart M1 EP 0W-20:

[Linked Image]

Why didn't you just contact Amazon and make them send you a new one? They probably would have told you to keep the old one and they would have sent you a new one. Swapping it with another store where you didn't buy it is considered a low life move by some, but not as low as getting a refund at list price on something bought at clearance.

Now whoever buys that jug at Walmart is going to think Walmart carries old stock. We used to have pranksters here who would post the opposite title.

Doing it wrong

Supposed to call Amazon and complain and they'd probably refund you at least 50%

Originally Posted by Leo99
This is for your 85 Corolla?

LOL

Last edited:
Scamazon is often the retail channel of choice for aging goods.
Walmart has enough volume in the common grades that the old stuff gets gone.
If it doesn't move, it gets clearanced and a lot of the wholesale clearance lots go where?

Originally Posted by fdcg27
If it doesn't move, it gets clearanced and a lot of the wholesale clearance lots go where?

Soooo, which is it? Is WalMart moving enough to always have fresh stock or are they not selling enough that they clear our the remaining stock for cents on the dollar to Amazon only to bring in the same, more expensive stock?

I'll disagree there. Wal Mart I was at that's the biggest one in my county had 5 jugs of M1 0w30 that was 1-2 years old and DEXOS 1 approved. Dusty jugs and "green caps" on them too.

Walmart has the most up to date stock, with excellent stock management (it's walmart).

Amazon is a clearinghouse for many sellers. You see old items constantly.

With free two day shipping or in store pickup from Walmart it's almost a no brainer for certain things.

Walmarts in LA County are usually scavenged with rows and rows of empty shelves. I was very lucky to find this very last bottle of M1 EP 0W-20 SN PLUS.

People need to differentiate Amazon from Amazon marketplace sellers. Amazon (direct) isn't selling other retailer's closeout stuff. That's laughable !! Years ago, Walmart got the bad rap, being accused of selling "seconds" or secretly-lesser quality items through some conspiracy with (insert the name of many different big-name companies) and now Amazon gets the bad rap ? Please....

Originally Posted by Gokhan
I was disappointed when I got an old stock of M1 EP 0W-20 from Amazon Prime, which didn't have SN PLUS and the latest Ford approval. I know they haven't changed the formula but still...

You're worried that the bottle didn't have a few extra characters printed on it although you knew the contents were 100% suitable ? That's ridiculous !

Reactions: JC1
Originally Posted by Jimmy_Russells

Soooo, which is it? Is WalMart moving enough to always have fresh stock or are they not selling enough that they clear our the remaining stock for cents on the dollar to Amazon only to bring in the same, more expensive stock?

"Like"

Scamazon ?????

I think the term "fresh stocks" might be a relative one depending on what's being referred to...the Walmart near me didn't have any SN Plus for four months after the "switchover" date and as of November when I last bought oil, still only had SN Plus in certain brands / grades. Not sure they weren't fresh stock in normal terms...only not satisfying an expectation to have all these oils on the shelf displaying SN Plus in the doughnut.

"Scam"azon?? I think you misspelled Rock Auto! Send that EP to me, I'll suffer through using it! If you really needed SN+, I'm sure Amazon would send you another one, probably tell you to keep the "old" one (as posted above). I've gotten FAR more aged, old stock stuff from eBay & RA than I have from Amazon.

What I bought was actually "sold and shipped by Amazon."

The problem was that it doesn't appear in Amazon's search engine. I found it through the Google Shopping search engine. That's probably why it was an old stock. Amazon needs to fix their search engine.

Through the Google Shopping search engine:

https://www.amazon.com/Mobil-120903-Extended-Performance-0W-20/dp/B00JTUBTQG/
$29.98, ships from and sold by Amazon.com

Through the Amazon search engine (points to a third-party marketplace):

https://www.amazon.com/Mobil-Extended-Performance-0W-20-Synthetic/dp/B01MZ83HZA/
$42.88, ships from and sold by C9 Brands

I knew the former was a "dusty" link overlooked by the Amazon search engine and I was getting myself into an old stock but I didn't listen to my own wisdom.

They are both good companies. Sometimes it's best to look at what you are buying in a store and purchase it. This sight unseen is not always the best way to
to go.

Back