Ford's auto stop start

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hate it. I drove a 2018 Malibu rental a year ago and it was terrible. It would turn off when pulling up to the garage before pulling in and waiting for the door to open.

And probably 50 times on the freeway in traffic. It made my skin crawl.

A/C also didn't work because the engine was off. It blew warm air until you start driving again and it had to cool back down again.

Originally Posted by MNgopher
I cannot physically move my foot fast enough from the brake pedal to the gas to catch the gas before the truck has restarted. Restarts are not the same as a cold start - there is some wizardry in the background that helps it start quicker than a cold start.

Try a foot on the gas and the other foot on the brake. Lift the foot off the brake and hit the gas with the other one. Useful for stoplight encounters where you just want to go.

Truck is more than fast enough with one foot. Never had a need for two in the scenario described... If I did that, it would roast the tires on launch (until the traction control kicked in). The only time I drive with two feet in this truck is pulling a boat back out of the water at boat launch...

On the plug in light into the trailer wiring, if your truck has BLIS (mine does), it will disable it on the 2015-2017 F150's. 2018 and up come with trailer coverage, so theoretically it would still work.

If you have backup sensors, it will also disable those with a light plugged in the trailer wiring.

If I recall, I get a notice on my dash every time something is plugged into the trailer wiring that a trailer is connected (requires saying OK to get it off the dash) and then a warning that BLIS is disabled (must also say OK to get that off the dash).

In other words, if the bother is having to press one button every time you want to disable the auto start stop, the trailer wiring plug in idea will result in at least one, if not two button pushes to get a clean dashboard.

The 2.7 Ford auto start/stop doesn't use the starter motor for restarts, it uses the alternator to nudge the engine. When it stops it leaves a piston at just before TDC, hence the "nudge".
I own a '16 2.7 F150, the power it produces is almost amazing.

Originally Posted by dave1251
To me it's annoying and not much benefit with possible negatives.

I feel the same way about the vehicles I've driven with it.

Originally Posted by roadrunner1
The 2.7 Ford auto start/stop doesn't use the starter motor for restarts, it uses the alternator to nudge the engine. When it stops it leaves a piston at just before TDC, hence the "nudge".

cool thanks
I have it and in addition to the above 'disables' it seems sport mode also turns it off.Interesting how all the peeps that hate it have no idea how rarly it works ,as soon as it get intrusive I turn it off, the reset on restart is very likely a government mandate.
Bypassing it for long could set a code.

-65 and not a luddite

I'm not sure that's right? I hear the starter engage. I'm pretty sure my alternator has an overrun clutch on it, which would prevent that from working.

The starters on these are different. They are a lower speed motor with less gearing in them. A significant amount of starter wear occurs at the commutator and brushes. By using a stronger, lower RPM motor, there's not as much RPM to spin off after disengaging, contributing to brush and commutator wear. I've read where there's also a different solenoid and contact mechanism to offset that next weakness, but I've not seen a drawing to know what is done differently.

PS. the 1 mpg improvement I see is worth it to me, less for personal financial reasons and more for economic. Why send our money into all that foreign oil?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by askani79705
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Is it really that easy? This isn't the BOO wire, just a signal wire for the stop start?

Thanks Buck, that's great information.
thumbsup2.gif

It's almost unnoticeable in my 2018 STX. I can hear the statrter spin when first starting the truck after stopping, but can't hear it when auto-stop -start is engaged. Just seems like the engine just starts.

Originally Posted by ddrumman2004
It's almost unnoticeable in my 2018 STX. I can hear the statrter spin when first starting the truck after stopping, but can't hear it when auto-stop -start is engaged. Just seems like the engine just starts.

I am like 90% sure the 2.7 uses the alternator to fire off the engine during stop-start instead of the starter. Kinda like how the hybrids don't have a starter.

Originally Posted by bdcardinal
Originally Posted by ddrumman2004

I am like 90% sure the 2.7 uses the alternator to fire off the engine during stop-start instead of the starter. Kinda like how the hybrids don't have a starter.

I can remember reading this somewhere before I bought my wife the F150 with the 2.7, but I cannot find any information on it now.

The Ford start/stop is so seamless I really can't find any reason for anyone to complain.

Is that just for the 2.7? Or the 3.5 as well?

This is the first I have heard of this for the F-150's. Do you have a link to this somewhere? Thanks!

And after doing plenty of reading the last few days and especially after seeing a lot of "starter and battery wear" and "heavier duty statter and battery", I say the bump start is crrap. You can't start an engine with the alternator.

Originally Posted by JLTD
You can't start an engine with the alternator.

Why can't you?

Seems like the logical solution, honestly - ditch the separate starter altogether.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back