Honda CR-V oil dilution "only a tiny fraction of incidents"

Originally Posted by FordBroncoVWJeta
My moms CRV has already had the engine taken apart before 50,000 miles, due to the VTC actuator. Upon fixing the VTC actuator they also cracked the head. Car has had fuel dilution problems since new. I wonder if the fuel dilution problems had something to do with the failure of the VTC actuator.

If you look through my post history from late 2015 I have talked about the sniffing the open oil cap and it smelling like a gas tank. That's how bad it is.

Side note, of the 3 VW Jettas me and my dad have owned (2001, 2012, 2017) they have been in the shop far less than that CRV has.

Blasphamy !! Tell the truth, your VW's were rebadged Hondas and this CRV is a BMW X3 in disquise !!

Consumer Reports, ha! Garbage in, garbage out. That group of clowns wouldn't know a good product if it sneaked up and bit them in the rear. I used to take CR and would purchase high dollar consumer goods based on their reviews. I stopped doing that after 3 separate products I purchased, based on their reviews, turned out to be junk.

Originally Posted by CR94
Originally Posted by billt460
Can you just imagine what would happen here if Scotty Kilmer took a job with Consumer Reports?
No, because he couldn't get the job.
So if you don't want to miss any of my toaster oven or life insurance reviews, just ring that bell!

Honda technician told me today it’s still a problem, Honda hasn’t fixed it yet. He said....” the oil comes out like water”.

I would not touch one of those turbo GDI engine cars and if I was stuck with one because I didn’t know about their problems, I would definitely do a few oil analysis to see what’s going on.

Reactions: yst
“How many engine failures do we know about”......I would not at all be worried about my engine “failing” but I would worry about a shorter engine life.

Why did Honda extend the warranty if there are no problems.

We hear a lot about how oil additives are not necessary or even potentially harmful , pit down excess fuel in oil as an additive I do not want in any car I buy.

I have a 2016 Civic coupe with the 1.5t and it does from time to time have the oil level rise up to over a half inch on the dip stick. I live in WV so it gets cold but not real cold. Overall of all my cars it has given me the most trouble. Rear third brake light cover falling off, transmission death rattle on warm starts and intermittent no starts for no reason about 6 times.

The bright side of too much fuel in engine oil, better cold weather starting performance Lol.

Owning a car with high oil consumption ( talking about one of those brand new ones thst manufactures say it’s normal ) or fuel In the oil would drive me nuts.

If I buy another car soon, it will be manual ( just because I enjoy driving them ) and as basic as possible ( no turbo, no TPMS if possible , etc ) as possible within limits of coarse ( need A/C, power windows but that’s it....).

Honda won’t even offer a manual on the new generation civic coming out this spring unless you buy the SI model and I won’t buy a car that “ needs” ( can use 87 but doesn’t run as well although many will say it does ) high octane gas where we live because of high taxes on car gas. High octane gas is a lot more expensive here, and I drive a lot ( when I work which is zero right now ).

Toyota ( yes, boring ) ironically seem to be trying to attract stick drivers as they are offering them in their cars.

Trying to maintain good hands and feet and not succumb to automation complacency ( dependency more so ) LOL.

Consumer Reports, ha! Garbage in, garbage out. That group of clowns wouldn't know a good product if it sneaked up and bit them in the rear. I used to take CR and would purchase high dollar consumer goods based on their reviews. I stopped doing that after 3 separate products I purchased, based on their reviews, turned out to be junk.
I'm not quite so harsh on them. I do think that their tests, methodologies and ratings are useful, with a caveat. That is, one must be an educated consumer to decide if what they say applies to you or not.

I purchased a mulching mower they rated very poorly, due to grass clumping inside. But the "fix" was, A) known, B) easy, C) effective. It worked wonderfully for it's entire life. The fix was to enlarge the "recycling" hole in the front of the deck by cutting 2 one inch sections with a hacksaw and removing the section.

The CRV is no different. "IF" you own one, monitor the oil level, choose a good oil and change more frequently.

Back