Skyactive 2.5 L engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gooday folks,

I am really leaning towards a mazda 3 2018 automatic, brand new one, GS trim, well equiped with 16 inch alloys.

Now, should I invest a bit more per month and go for the grand touring trim with the 2.5 L? Is this a better value? And will it keep a better value if I sell it in the future?

The only downside to the grand touring is the 18 inch wheels, they look good, but tires in this size are more expensive.

I would appreciate your opinion on this.

Thanks!

If fuel economy is a priority then the 2.0 would be the better route to go. Both engines are excellent. I own a 2017 CX5 with the 2.5. That engine would be nice in a 3 if it's power you are looking for.

Why buy a 2018 when the 2019 is right around the corner and comes with the 2.5 standard? Not to mention it's a gorgeous car and better in nearly every way compared to the 2014-18 gen. I'm really considering a 2019 hatch + MT.

Originally Posted by 1JZ_E46
Why buy a 2018 when the 2019 is right around the corner and comes with the 2.5 standard? Not to mention it's a gorgeous car and better in nearly every way compared to the 2014-18 gen. I'm really considering a 2019 hatch + MT.

I would really consider this. The 2019 has been updated and it's really sharp. The 2.5 will give you excellent fuel economy as well. I average just under 30 in mixed driving. On the highway I have gotten as high as 35.7mpgbut the average is around 33.

Originally Posted by PimTac
I would really consider this. The 2019 has been updated and it's really sharp. The 2.5 will give you excellent fuel economy as well. I average just under 30 in mixed driving. On the highway I have gotten as high as 35.7mpgbut the average is around 33.

I'm holding out to see the Skyactiv-X model. Hope it comes with a manual gearbox!

I don't know if it will. The latest I've heard is that it will be available in the US in 2021. Europe is getting first dibs at it.

Would this be a sedan or hatch?-not that it matters.

It all depends on your personal preferences & how much do you want to $pend up front. You're buying new, get what you want & can afford.

The 2.0 is not under powered and will certainly net you better fuel economy.

The 16" tires will be less costly to replace and may in fact be a bit longer wearing before replacing.

The GS(SPORT in the U.S.) is quite a nice car by itself and handles very, very well and the 16" tires will still offer a better ride in the process while being somewhat quieter.

IDK which one will have the better resale in the future as it may be a wash. Pay more now, get more later?
From what I understand(not gospel) , ALL 2.5 sedan & hatch come from Japan and the 2.0 sedan can come from either Japan or Mexico while the 2.0 hatch is Mexico ONLY, if any of this matters to you. You can alway check the placard on the vehicle.

Any money you save with the 2.0 will be money for winter snow tires on wheels, if this matters to you. And those other items we all want to spend money on for our new vehicles.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Char Baby

From what I understand(not gospel) , ALL 2.5 sedan & hatch come from Japan and the 2.0 sedan can come from either Japan or Mexico while the 2.0 hatch is Mexico ONLY, if any of this matters to you. You can alway check the placard on the vehicle.

No, it varies. My 2.5 Touring came from Mexico.

Both engines are fantastic. The sport mode brings the car to life! It's not a speed demon, but it's a fun car.

Last edited:
I really liked my 2014 Mazda3 sedan with the 2.5L and 6-speed auto. Fun, fuel efficient, comfortable and was very reliable (no issues during ownership). Only downside was road/wind noise which I hear has been addressed. I agree with others here who say wait for the 2019 - looks like a fantastic car and all the first drive reviews have been great. I'd still have it if it I didn't have giant children (traded for a Pilot).

Mazda is a car company on the move and they are doing great things. I'm thinking about trading in my wife's Mazda5, giving her the Pilot and getting a CX-9 for myself.

2.0L is great for a commuter car and 16 inch tires have more sidewall for nicer ride.

Lots of leftover 2018 Mazda3 that you can get a great deal on.

I prefer Soul Red color as is it sooo nice in the sunlight.

I've driven a few over the years and I always found the 2.0 to be a bit under powered in my opinion. Glad we went with the 2.5, which according to my paperwork shows being built in Mexico. I reset the mileage gauge in Cincinnati and drove to Alabama, intentionally keeping my speed right around 70 mph (when possible without getting run over) and I was near Nashville before the gauge went below 40 mpg average, so I wont complain about whatever hit the 2.5 takes in fuel economy vs the 2.0.

I'm not sure the changes to the 2019's are enough that they would sway me away from buying a 2018 if we were in the market again, with the 2019's on the way they may be discounting the 2018's to get them moving off the lots.

Originally Posted by Mr Nice

Yes!! Every time my wife and I see a Mazda in that color we do a double take. A friend at my work just bought a brand new Mazda3 GT and I tried to talk him into that color but he ended up going with white instead.

Originally Posted by Patman
Originally Posted by Mr Nice

Yes!! Every time my wife and I see a Mazda in that color we do a double take. A friend at my work just bought a brand new Mazda3 GT and I tried to talk him into that color but he ended up going with white instead.

White?! Worst color...old people cars are white...

Originally Posted by Matagonka
Originally Posted by Char Baby

No, it varies. My 2.5 Touring came from Mexico.

Both engines are fantastic. The sport mode brings the car to life! It's not a speed demon, but it's a fun car.

Mazda is/must be final assembling more & more of them in Mexico as my cousin in FL has an 2018 2.5 touring 5dr(hatch) that's Japan assembled.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by 1JZ_E46

I'd be concerned about 1st year reliability especially with all of the things that are new on the '19

Originally Posted by E150GT
Skip the 3 and go to the 6.

This too is an option. You can get a lower line Mazda6(so, it doesn't have all the stuff) that is the better car for similar money to a Mazda3 with too much stuff. Depends what you like!

For example, I'd rather have a lower trim line of Camry(LE) or Accord(LX) over a higher trim line of Corolla(XLE)or Civic(EX-L) that may not be much difference in price after negotiation. And the larger sibling is typically better vehicles unless you just want smaller and/or more STUFF instead of the better car......This is the classic, "compelling arguement scenario".

Last edited:
"I'd be concerned about 1st year reliability especially with all of the things that are new on the '19"

There is really nothing new on the 2019. They are adding features that have been available on other models.

Mazda also uses CQI so every model year there are changes. It would be difficult to try and avoid any.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back