Upgrade to 4K UHD, Why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You may want to slow down his speaking rate using the gear icon and selecting 0.75 under speed. (9 minutes in is the 4K spiel)

Last edited:
4K is not pointless. You eye can absolutely discern difference between HD, 2K and 4K- as well as 8.

There are many benefits to higher resolutions. That said Id rather have HD HDR than 4K non HDR.

You don't see 4K looking at a 4K picture you see 2K. It takes 2 lines to make line of resolution.

The nyquist theorem works for video and audio both - to preserve a given rate you need to double the sample or frequency.

Example - your ear hears at 20-22K - CD are mastered at 44K to preserve the 20-22.

the japanese have standardized on 8K which is what it takes to deliver 4K to your eyeballs.

UD

Originally Posted by Reddy45
Can't stand this guy

I found him quite annoying as well but he covered all the info a lot of folks have questions about. I found the vision facts interesting.

My 4K that replaced my dead 1080 does have better picture I can see when it's streaming 4K from Youtube, however 1080 would have served me fine I think and the only reason I bought it was it was $45 more than the 1080 model of the same size and it was 120hz versus 60hz.

Last edited:
You upgrade to 4k UHD because it looks better.

Well, assuming all else is equal. An expensive 1080 TV will usually have a better picture than a cheap 4k TV despite not having as much resolution.

High Dynamic Range in union with 2160p certainly looks clearer and more realistic than plain old 1080p. I watched this same video a week or so ago. I actually enjoyed his delivery style.

Originally Posted by UncleDave
4K is not pointless. You eye can absolutely discern difference between HD, 2K and 4K- as well as 8.

There are many benefits to higher resolutions. That said Id rather have HD HDR than 4K non HDR.

You don't see 4K looking at a 4K picture you see 2K. It takes 2 lines to make line of resolution.

The nyquist theorem works for video and audio both - to preserve a given rate you need to double the sample or frequency.

Example - your ear hears at 20-22K - CD are mastered at 44K to preserve the 20-22.

the japanese have standardized on 8K which is what it takes to deliver 4K to your eyeballs.

UD

Can't say I've seen 8k, but you're absolutely right about 4K. Very striking difference.

I held onto my tube TVs until 4K led TVs came out.

Not everything can be discerned at 4K. Animation is a good example - we watched incredibles 2 on a 4K player on a 4K tv and it wasn't earth shattering. But when real world is portrayed in 4K, wow!

4K is pointless if you're using typical highly compressed cable TV for content delivery.

When I put up antenna's to get broadcast HDTV, I was stunned at the difference between 1080p broadcast and 1080p Comcast/Xfinity, switching back and forth on the same programming.

Just like the Color TV and HDTV transitions, it will be a while before a lot of content is available in the new format, and that truly takes advantage of the new format. But if you're using Cable for your content, it may say 4K, but the compression will kill the detail.

I went from a 55" 2k to a 65" 4k Sony 900f.

The 4k has much finer, thinner, sharper details than the 2k did, with DTV and FireTV signals.

I didn't tell my parents I had bought a 4K, and my father noticed right away that even on 1080p it looked better than my old 1080p tv. I will say I have yet to watch a movie in 4K, I've only watched one blu-Ray in my life! But my video games in 4K look stunning.

Originally Posted by Skippy722
I didn't tell my parents I had bought a 4K, and my father noticed right away that even on 1080p it looked better than my old 1080p tv. I will say I have yet to watch a movie in 4K, I've only watched one blu-Ray in my life! But my video games in 4K look stunning.

This is also because most 4K tv's will apply some level of upscaling to any content that is natively lower than 4K. For instance, your tv likely is upscaling 1080i (many local network affiliates broadcast in 1080i or 720p) or 1080p content to near-4K. My cheapo TCL S405 I bought last year does this.

Originally Posted by bobdoo
I went from a 55" 2k to a 65" 4k Sony 900f.

The 4k has much finer, thinner, sharper details than the 2k did...

Yes, we purchased a Sony 65 inch X900F 3 months ago, AWESOME, some program material even looks 3D and surreal its so true to life.
Over the air signals are amazing too. 4K blu ray good and this sets upconverter is supposed to be among the best.

What is even more impressive and I THINK what shows off this TV just as much as the 4K part is the High Dynamic Range of this TV. I do now see HDR done right is what sets TVs apart maybe even more then the 4K part. Some material looks so, ummm, real, like your watching a play or something.

Just an amazing set, lets hope it lasts, decades ago I bought a Sony Rear Projection, turned out to be a repair prone lemon and never bought another Sony again until this one, we will see, looking good for sure and would recommend it to anyone.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by HangFire
4K is pointless if you're using typical highly compressed cable TV for content delivery.

When I put up antenna's to get broadcast HDTV, I was stunned at the difference between 1080p broadcast and 1080p Comcast/Xfinity, switching back and forth on the same programming.

Just like the Color TV and HDTV transitions, it will be a while before a lot of content is available in the new format, and that truly takes advantage of the new format. But if you're using Cable for your content, it may say 4K, but the compression will kill the detail.

The ATSC OTA HD broadcast standard is 1080i (or 720p), not 1080p. All network HD programs are recorded and/or transmitted in either 1080i or 720p and that is the resolution you will get, regardless of the source. On-line streaming videos that "advertise" 1080p aren't really even true 1080p because they are so compressed, and this includes modern digital cable and satellite TV. You can only get true 1080p from a blu-ray player playing a blu-ray disc. Compare the picture from a 1080p blu-ray source to a 1080p picture from ANY other source and you will see what I mean.
Forget about compressed streaming 4k content being any better than true 1080p content. Personally, I just don't see any difference. IMO the only advantage that I can see from a 4k UHD TV is that the display has a LOT more pixels so it is not as grainy. This is definitely advantageous on the bigger screens and does display an improved 1080p picture.

My current satellite provider only offers 1080p and not 4K and I inquired when the change would happens and they said it's a data compression issue at the moment so they aren't sure when. This was after speaking to multiple folks in the call center and pushing for answers from higher ups.

We have cable providers in the area as well and none of them to my knowledge as of today offer 4K content.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by wag123

The ATSC OTA HD broadcast standard is 1080i (or 720p), not 1080p. All network HD programs are recorded and/or transmitted in either 1080i or 720p and that is the resolution you will get, regardless of the source. On-line streaming videos that "advertise" 1080p aren't really even true 1080p because they are so compressed, and this includes modern digital cable and satellite TV. You can only get true 1080p from a blu-ray player playing a blu-ray disc. Compare the picture from a 1080p blu-ray source to a 1080p picture from ANY other source and you will see what I mean.
Forget about compressed streaming 4k content being any better than true 1080p content. Personally, I just don't see any difference. IMO the only advantage that I can see from a 4k UHD TV is that the display has a LOT more pixels so it is not as grainy. This is definitely advantageous on the bigger screens and does display an improved 1080p picture.

So you're saying I won't notice a difference between a (4k UHD) 60hz and 120hz panel?

LG 4K OLED here... OTA/cable generally good quality, though some older material shows poor. OTOH streaming 4K thru Netflix (premium sub) especially if its HDR or DV.,. WOW. Everyone comments, the picture is spectacular.

So whether is the OLED, 4K, or mastering... the picture looks incredible.

Originally Posted by LoneRanger
Skippy722 said:
This is also because most 4K tv's will apply some level of upscaling to any content that is natively lower than 4K. For instance, your tv likely is upscaling 1080i (many local network affiliates broadcast in 1080i or 720p) or 1080p content to near-4K. My cheapo TCL S405 I bought last year does this.

A potential problem with that is the low-end TVs may have a poor upscaler in them. So 4K sources may look great, but everything else gets poorly upscaled to 4K.

One of my TVs, I purposely bought a 1080 instead of 4K because practically nothing viewed on that TV comes from a 4K source, it's mostly 1080 source, and the comparably priced lower-end 4K TVs at least at the time made 1080 and lower content look worse than it does on the 1080 TV. (and, at those comparable prices, the 1080 TV was bigger.)

Just something for people to be aware of if they aren't already. It's almost a moot point now though since it's getting harder to find new TVs that aren't 4K.

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
Originally Posted by wag123

So you're saying I won't notice a difference between a (4k UHD) 60hz and 120hz panel?

I have a one year old 4k UHD 60Hz and a four year old 1080p 120Hz. I don't notice any difference in picture quality between them unless I get real close to the screens where the 4k TV has an advantage. I also don't notice any difference between 4k and 1080p Internet streamed content, and blu-ray beats both of them hands-down. You would think that the 120Hz TV would display less motion blurring (it is supposed to, that Is why I paid extra for 120Hz), but I don't see this either. At this point I have become very skeptical of advertising rhetoric. I go to the store and let my eyes be the judge. When you do this, make sure you turn-off the showroom display mode on the TVs you are interested in so you get the most honest pictures.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back