Help Choosing ATF For Dodge Pickup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone. My parents have a 2008 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 with 5.7L engine. The truck will be do for an oil change and transmission service at 120k. I have the M1XP and Fram XG2 for it. I found a transmission filter and gasket kit for it by Fram. What is the correct ATF for the automatic transmission? Thank you for the help.

ATF+4 is the fluid you want to use. As long as it says ATF+4 it will work. So buy based on price.
Walmarts Supertech is very popular.

The best ATF to use in that transmission is Redline C+
smile.gif

However, if you deem it too expensive, or if you can't get it at any price, any licensed ATF+4 will do. Autozone has Castrol ATF+4 on sale right now. Everything appearing on this list is the same because Chrysler is childishly strict with their licensing and will only allow a specific group III base stock and Lubrizol add pack. So jsut pick the cheapest one on that list. Note that Walmart brand ATF+4 *is* on the list so it is safe to use.

Redline C+ is not licensed, but it is easily the best thing to use where ATF+4 is called for. It uses the same add pack as licensed ATF+4 but with a better base stock.

Interesting. Go for price and easy to get? In that case that would be Walmart SuperTech. LOL $4.72 per quart. I did not realize that the spec was so tight and controlled.

All ATF+4 that is officially licensed is the same basestock and additive package with little room for differences because Chrysler is super picky with their specification.
I have used Mopar, Mobil-1 ATF+4 and Amsoil's Multi-Vehicle formula all with excellent success myself in various Chrysler applications requiring ATF+4 / ATF+3.

Others here seem to like the Castrol ATF+4 as well and from what I can see it's a solid fluid.

Clean fluid is the key with Chrysler transmissions. The Fram filters are actually Mopar filters according to the Fram representative on here (Jay)
thumbsup2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
smile.gif

However, if you deem it too expensive, or if you can't get it at any price, any licensed ATF+4 will do. Autozone has Castrol ATF+4 on sale right now. Everything appearing on this list is the same because Chrysler is childishly strict with their licensing and will only allow a specific group III base stock and Lubrizol add pack. So jsut pick the cheapest one on that list. Note that Walmart brand ATF+4 *is* on the list so it is safe to use.

Redline C+ is not licensed, but it is easily the best thing to use where ATF+4 is called for. It uses the same add pack as licensed ATF+4 but with a better base stock.

Other than marketing how is a less than 10% ester basestock "better"?

Originally Posted by s1mp13m4n
Interesting. Go for price and easy to get? In that case that would be Walmart SuperTech. LOL $4.72 per quart. I did not realize that the spec was so tight and controlled.

At one point only one basestock and one additive package was approved.

A certain online parts store with rock in its name seems to have the best price for the Fram filter and gasket kit. $6 cheaper than the company with the smile on their boxes. However, that other online store kills you on shipping. LOL. The local parts store wants 2.5x the price when compared with that smile on the box company. Kind of funny really. I was hoping for a one stop shop.

Originally Posted by demarpaint
Castrol ATF+4. I watch for sales when AAP runs it for $5/qt. and load up.

Autozone has it on sale now
smile.gif

Originally Posted by dave1251

That is still enough to make a difference. For example, the pour point is lower by 18F/10C, and the brookfield at -40 is less than half of licensed ATF+4 (3800 vs 8800 cP).

(I'm using the numbers for licensed ATF+4 from the Mobil ATF+4 PDS) And here is the C+ PDS

smile.gif

Thanks for the heads up!

smile.gif

Originally Posted by dave1251

That is still enough to make a difference. For example, the pour point is lower by 18F/10C, and the brookfield at -40 is less than half of licensed ATF+4 (3800 vs 8800 cP).

(I'm using the numbers for licensed ATF+4 from the Mobil ATF+4 PDS) And here is the C+ PDS

Which means nothing.

In my old 2011 1500 with the 545RFE I had used the Mopar filter set as it was actually better priced than the aftermarket ones available (I did not do much for online shopping at the time). For ATF I used a multi vehicle fluid that was "Suitable for use" with ATF+4. While not available much outside the prairies, it was a Canadian made group 4 by Federated Co-op. The transmission shifted great before the swap and continued to shift great after the swap. I cant remember how many thousand km I put on it before we traded it in but maybe it was around that 20-25,000 mark. We towed heavy and towed often and it never missed a beat.

smile.gif

This basestock has been discussed. Redline is majority PAO Group III so if your near the North Pole it will be a better basestock in non Artic conditions at 3X's the price with next to nothing performance benefits were is the value.

Some people you just shouldn't listen to, go to ram forum and talk with h395 using redline towing his family and trailer up the ikeman and using temp guns to monitor temps, as he reported over time live on the forum, using redline c+. He did have to pull over, but only to let his engine oil cool, his diffs and transmsions were outstanding. I forget, he might even of had Amsoil in the diffs. There are plenty of reason someone should consider redline in transmsion, too many to list, and all legitimate, and everytime it will be met with a joke of a rebutal here. I mean to question ester content in an application that is heat sensitive is utterly laughable. Only thing funnyier then that is my spelling. No reason to debate reasons here when you have people that act similar to CNN and their fake news. Just a bunch of fake rebuttals by people who don't even care about the science of pao/esters. Research that stuff elsewhere like machinelbe, you just wont get good info here, sad to say. Maybe in 2006 you would have, but no longer do these "oil guys" talk about high quality oils, they prefer spec hunting as a sport.

Anyhow, what you need to tell us is the transmsion, then we can say more Most Chrysler transmisions really need clean fluid, maybe even more the a redline type product, depending on it's use and what it's towing. The sump filter is synthetic and can easily last 100k miles plus, but the spin on is paper. The good news is the spin on leads into sump filter, so skipping the spin on is less dangerous then otherwise. If you have a moderate duty 545te transmsion, you should get a drain bolt pan or use a 20 dollar pump from amazon and do quick flushes of a gallon or ore everytime you change your engine oil. If you have an application that gets hot, consider redline c+, if not, consider doing a series of flushes because you are on borrowed time. The transmsion is a weak spot, any atf 4 would do, just do it often.

Hey s1mp13m4n ,
The good news is you have a choice, but the next gen rams are dependant on PAO based fluids. Why, because they made them thinner and they need them to stay in grade. Why don't mineral oils stay in grade? Because they dress them up with additives that are temporary, but esters/pao do that job naturally and survive combustion better and survive the heat of a transmsion better. Now, the new generation ram transmsions operate much high temps, so they need redline type products, many options then just redline, but your transmsion doesn't or shouldn't operate in that temp range. If it does, they make a fluid for you as well, if it doesn't, then just use atf4. But that is not to say there wouldn't be benefit from using those better base stocks that are required as the demands of the fluid go up.

Just like the search for gf-6, soon there will be a gf-6 and likely there will be a gf-6 a and a gf-6 b, and the gf6-b will likely be required to have base stocks greater then group 3. That is what the gov't and oil engineers say, not hard to find those papers. You answer that question why, and that answers every question why someone should considering using them in other applications. Not necessary, but beneficial all the same. group 3 oil is as "dressed" up as it can be, they can no longer use smoke and mirrors to make it "better". Now, ester and pao does those funstions naturally, and need less of these temporary additives that leave an application vulnerable at the end of an interval. Now, if your ram is nothing more then a commuter car or around town car type of truck, then just use a cheap atf4 and use it often. Quick Flushes with that transmsion are very easy, never run the torque converter dry, just empty pan contents and replace, very safe.

Last edited:
+1

Back in 2003 a friend bought a new Cummins-powered Dodge Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab. We were concerned about the 47RE living through the Phoenix heat while pulling a 20K Lb. trailer. I suggested he use C+ and do a fluid & filter change every 50K. Over the 12 years/170K miles or so he owned it, he had it serviced with C+ at the same transmission shop by the same tech, who basically always said the same thing: fluid looks great, the trans is spotless and almost no band adjustment was required. So while any licensed ATF+4 will be a good performer, C+ appears to be in another league.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back