what is this scam

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by SeaJay
These ads are trying to take advantage of the folks that think its okay to buy a car sight unseen without a test drive, i.e. (1) decide from the pictures it is a good car with a good price, (2) - send money (3)-go get the car & (4) - post on social media how you just got ripped off and what does the collective think you should do about it.

BINGO!

People fall for it. I started getting calls about 2 years back from people complaining that we were being slow and uncommunicative about the delivery of boats they had purchased online.

Problem?

We don't do for-hire boat transport and do not advertise or contract any such service. I didn't want to be rude, but I could not dedicate my work force to dealing with people who are not my customers for a service I don't provide. Just started directing them to a page we made detailing the fact that they have been scammed and telling them who to contact.

Yes, we were getting that many calls from people who paid for non-existent boats that were promised to be delivered by us.

This went on for 2 months until I assume they probably starting using the name of someone else's company.

Posting a craigslist ad does not obligate the seller to do anything. They can advertise whatever price they want. If someone complains that the seller won't honor the advertised price, the seller can just delete the ad and post another one with a slightly different price. Repeat.

Most of these crazy low prices are just clickbait... they want to get your eyes and your attention onto their site.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back