Barkeepers Friend Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
You should order and use Bon Ami 1886 Formula. It is in a red can. It is very difficult to find. Do NOT use Bon Ami in a gold can.
I ordered the good ole Bon Ami 1886 Formula and picked it up at a local Ace Hardware.

$1.79 at Ace. They don't care if you order 1 can. They see you as a potential customer who will buy other thing(s) and come back again, which is true.
https://www.acehardware.com/departm...-disinfectants/scouring-cleaners/1487503

I have been using Barkeepers Friend for years on my windshield. It will not scratch. It contains calcium carbonate which is much softer than glass and will not cut into it. Also I have used Soft Scrub WITHOUT bleach. It is the same calcium carbonate formula.

Originally Posted by skyactiv
You should order and use Bon Ami 1886 Formula. It is in a red can. It is very difficult to find. Do NOT use Bon Ami in a gold can.
I ordered the good ole Bon Ami 1886 Formula and picked it up at a local Ace Hardware.

$1.79 at Ace. They don't care if you order 1 can. They see you as a potential customer who will buy other thing(s) and come back again, which is true.
https://www.acehardware.com/departm...-disinfectants/scouring-cleaners/1487503

That's the stuff! Ace will get it for you as you say, I got 2 cans just last week they had it in a few days.

What's the difference between Barkeepers Friend and Bon Ami? My wife makes me clean the shower with Barkeepers Friend.

Only the Bon Ami 1886 is much softer and gentler on easy to scratch surfaces it is also safe for glass. The others are not, only the 1886 not the regular.

So it may be better on the fiberglass tubs? My Wife uses Barkeepers Friend on the glass stovetop and SS and porcelain sinks. I was thinking the Barkeepers Friend might be a little harsh on fiberglass tubs and such.

(My Wife and I made a deal two years ago. If I clean the bathrooms, she'll clean everything else. That seemed like a very good agreement for me so I took it)

I'd like to hear more from the users of either product how they use this on their windscreens, i.e. how it's applied, type of cloths, do's and don'ts.. thanks.

I have used Bon Ami on windshields for years (I'll be 60 in April) especially when installing new wiper blades. My neighbor who is a PhD geologist saw it one time and asked me if I knew the ingredients or background, I din't. The main ingredient is feldspar which is low enough on the hardness scale not to scratch surfaces. Check this out: https://www.bonami.com/our-story/

I used Bon Ami in bar form a long time ago. Here's how I was taught to use it: Rub the bar with a damp cloth, put the Bon Ami on the windshield with a circular motion, let it dry to a haze, then buff it out.

I used it both inside and out. It took the smoke film (my dad was a heavy smoker) off of the inside of the windows beautifully.

Ditto to what Trav said - you want the 1886 formula, not the regular one. Learned that the hard way a few years ago.

And, thanks, skyactiv! Just ordered a few cans to pick up at a nearby Ace. $1.59 each compared to $8 or so on Amazon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back