04 Corolla 196k valvetrain pics

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had to replace the original VC gasket, as oil was seeping. About 196500 miles. The gasket was crusty, I might have lost some bits (from the spark plug well seals). The pics have a bit of red tint compared to real life. I also measured the valve clearances, some are at the limit. The camshaft sprockets have a bit of wear. I imagine the chain, sprockets and cams are the source of the iron fuzz catched by the darin plug magnet.
It saw 3-5k OCI with conventional or blend up to 76k, then it saw 5-10W-30 synthetics at 7.5-9.5k mostly PU and QSUD, with 1 ST, 2 Valvoline, 1 WVB 5w20. It is being shortripped now (11 miles one way + shorter grocey and park duties), so it has been seeing conventional for the past 10k.

P1267222.jpg

P1267223.jpg

P1267225.jpg

P1267226.jpg

P1267227.jpg

P1267228.jpg

P1267229.jpg

IMG_3340.JPG

Looks great! I would go with a high mileage full synthetic oil like M1 HM or Pup or PP HM at the grade the factory recommends, I'm guessing 5W-30?

Looks great. I had an 03 Toyota Corolla with 242,000 miles and still running great when I sold it. Lots of highway miles on mine. Thanks for posting!

Looks good. You can seen a hot spot with slow oil flow to the left of the timing chain. Varnish baked on pretty good there so keep using synthetic. Hold on for the next 200K.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Kira
Thanks for posting.
Q: How many would think/guess a good old fashioned compression check, both dry and wet, is a good idea for any engine at 200K?

Properly done it shouldn't hurt anything. To be fully informed, and while in there, I would also do a leak-down test before the wet. A leak-down test might blow off a PCV line or something but still shouldn't hurt anything.

While most mechanics would ask "why" on a good running engine, if you are considering some other major/expensive work to keep it running great to 300K, it can make sense. If, on the other hand, you're just running it to 220-240K then junk it the first expensive thing that comes up, I wouldn't bother.

If you go ahead with it, I would time it to coincide with a spark plug change, and if the plugs go through the valve cover, do a gasket change on the plug seals and valve cover.

Looks good. That batch is prone to sticking oil rings. It looks like the regular oil changes prevented it.

The timing chain tensioner can be a source of oil leaks. It is easier to switch it's O-ring seal with the valve cover off.

Last edited:
Looks pretty good, almost zero visible wear/polishing on the cam lobes. I'd change the plugs and stick new gaskets on it, along with the tensioner like cjc noted. Then close it back up and keep doing the same thing for another 200k!

Has the pcv valve been changed? I would get an oem from the dealer using the vin since there's two different valves depending on where it was built. At the dealer here only $8 or so I believe.

Grampi on here has an 04 Corolla with 360k last time I checked. With no major issues or repairs.

Thanks for the comments everyone!

@anndel - I still have 20 qt of Valvoline, 35 qt of Mobil Super (let's see what that Ti can do), 20 qt PP to go through first. I might try M1 10W-30 HM (in the Maxima) at some point, because of its high HTHS. The Corolla will get one bottle of Rislone 4102 at the next oil change, in 1k.

@danez_yoda - Yes, both ends have some deposits. The timing chain end of the valve cover was actually not baked hard, but came off in small flakes.

@Kira - I am planning on doing that when I change the spark plugs at 210k (108k on these iridiums for now), so yes - a good idea.

@cjcride - It burns about 1 qt per 5k, I bought it like this at 76k. The timing chain tensioner O-ring is still original, I am planning on changing it. It looks like I missed an opportunity here.

Any thoughts on the valve clearances?

Originally Posted by SatinSilver
Has the pcv valve been changed? I would get an oem from the dealer using the vin since there's two different valves depending on where it was built. At the dealer here only $8 or so I believe.

Grampi on here has an 04 Corolla with 360k last time I checked. With no major issues or repairs.

Yes, the PCV has been changed within the past 18 months with a Toyota part. The original I cleaned out at one point.

Amazing the varnish didn't kill that engine.
smirk2.gif

Thanks for posting the pics, always great to see high mileage engines using economy oils like conventional / syn-blends.

I have no personnel experience with that car / engine . But it looks pretty good for the mileage .

How is valve clearance adjusted on that engine ? Do you change shims ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back