Anybody ever bought land and had a house built ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by tony1679
Maybe I'm the weird one here, but I've done my homework and I'm looking to build/buy a small 2 bedroom 2 bath with a couple of acres and countless extras (storm cellar, etc.) all for well under $100k.
21.gif

I'm just critical of the mental disease Americans have with 'keeping up with the Jones family' nextdoor. Tiny houses aren't for everyone, not even for me, but tiny-er should be everyone's mindset, not larger.

Now that I realize I'm venting, my only advice is build a little smaller and spend the money you saved on things you care more about. You can't take the granite countertops with you when you go...

I respect your opinion, but I don't think it is a mental problem to desire a larger home. I raised 3 kids and hosted a total of 8 exchange students. (2 at a time), so often 7 people lived under my roof. Add teenage friends coming over to visit and sometimes stay the night, and I loved and needed my 2500 ft. home. We used it! All to their own choices, I say.

Maybe I'm the weird one here, but I've done my homework and I'm looking to build/buy a small 2 bedroom 2 bath with a couple of acres and countless extras (storm cellar, etc.) all for well under $100k.
21.gif

Good luck. We've been looking at 3 bed / 2 bath ranches, and it's 100-120k just for a modular. That's not including foundation, plumbing, etc that would be required in the basement. Nor the land, well, septic. Nor clearing the land of trees and making flat and putting in a driveway.

Around here, 2 acres that isn't the side of a mountain, but still loaded with trees, is like $50k. I'm sure deals are around, and the further off the beaten path you go, the cheaper it gets. But I will have some envy if you can pull this off for $100k!

Originally Posted by gfh77665
21.gif

I'm just critical of the mental disease Americans have with 'keeping up with the Jones family' nextdoor. Tiny houses aren't for everyone, not even for me, but tiny-er should be everyone's mindset, not larger.

Now that I realize I'm venting, my only advice is build a little smaller and spend the money you saved on things you care more about. You can't take the granite countertops with you when you go...

I respect your opinion, but I don't think it is a mental problem to desire a larger home. I raised 3 kids and hosted a total of 8 exchange students. (2 at a time), so often 7 people lived under my roof. Add teenage friends coming over to visit and sometimes stay the night, and I loved and needed my 2500 ft. home. We used it! All to their own choices, I say.

I made the mistake of buying a 2 bedroom starter home -- right before the market crash. So much for building equity and moving out when we needed more space. As a result my kids are rounding the bend into being teenagers, sharing a room--which wouldn't be so bad if I didn't have one of each gender.

Friends of ours had various procedures meant to limit family size. They did that after child five. They now have 8 kids, and we all think they are done... think...

Anyhow, wife likes to sew, and I have my hobbies too. A house with his & her hobby rooms would be great. I my stuff in the basement but boy does it get cold in the winter--plus one hobby is woodworking, which makes lots of dust and is intolerant of grease. Another is messing with cars, which is intolerant of dust but is greasy.

tony1679,

$600K has different buying power in different parts of the country.

A one million dollar house in San Diego, CA is not impressive.... but in Humpty Dumpty, Wyoming I'm sure you can build a mansion due to land being inexpensive.

Yes, if you buy land it has to be cleared , lots of things done and $$$ spent before construction even begins.

Also keep in mind Florida post probably has some of the most stringent building codes in US and though I have no direct experience, I have heard they are enforced more closely.

Interested in more experiences, I'm considering doing something Similar in TN though I'd prefer more like 5a and a basement... and my budget isn't 700K its more like 1/2 that... so maybe it isn't that similar at all...

I bought the land my house is on in 2004. Started building in 2005. Oh man oh man!! What an experience. Living it was a [censored] for sure. Now it's over I learned so much about overall life I wouldn't change it. from a building inspector requesting a payoff to everything else imaginable. Biggest issue, at least where I built, Dutchess NY, was that the gubernment is clearly set up for the big builder NOT the little builder and sure as [censored] not the normal guy as his own GC.

We bought semi-rural 2 acres with a 1800 square foot living area house built a couple of years ago. This was going to be our forever home, raise the kids, and let the grandkids come visit us.

The attached garage and the porch added 1000 square feet.

Lovely land. We had wild animals come up to our porch.

Was awesome until the neighbors moved in. Demon possessed, sociopathic, take your pick.

Sometimes you just don't know what you are going to get.

Sad thing is, we wanted to buy the neighboring lot, and listened to everyone advising against it.

We'll probably lose our property because of it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by gfh77665
Originally Posted by Mr Nice
Anybody every bought land and had a house built ?

I'm thinking about buying land and having a 3 bedroom, 2 bath, 2 car garage built. Nothing fancy , just a 1 story ranch style house on 1 acre of land in central FL.

Total budget is around $700K, prefer to stay under.

How did you find a quality home builder ?

A real nice 3.2.2 should be able to be built on a acre for $500K or less. I don't think you even get close to needing $700K !

Word of mouth from locals will help you find the best contractors. Personally I would avoid asking on Facebook. talk in person!

I was thinking that it should be a lot less that even 500K, unless the land was expensive.

YES!

My current house (FL) was done this way. And I'm ready to do it again in PA.

The obvious advantages such as picking land with features you like and placing your house on that land, the way you want, come to mind.

The less obvious advantages are, in my mind, what makes it all worthwhile. For Example:

1) My garage sits 2 feet lower than the house. But the roofline is unchanged. This allows room for a "bonus room" over the 3 car garage, by lowering the garage ceiling 2 feet.
2) I located the 5 ton, 16 seer air handler INSIDE the house, directly adjacent 2 each, 24x24 inch filters. This reduces restriction, makes service a snap, keeps equipment healthy by keeping it out of the attic or garage, and improves efficiency.
3) I installed 3/4 inch plumbing for all the outside faucets, along with 3/4 inch ball valves. This provides adequate flow for watering and washing. My builder swore smaller plumbing increases pressure, but his fundamental misunderstanding did not win the day. I'm incredibly happy I did that.
4) I have a 5 foot x 9 foot glass enclosed shower. Each shower station (his and hers) has 2 body sprays. In total, 6 shower heads. Also fed by 3/4 inch plumbing
5) I have an 80 gallon heat pump (hybrid) water heater located in the garage, adjacent the laundry room (so the HE washer gets hot water instantly) The hybrid water heater does a great job air conditioning my garage.
6) I have a propane 6 burner cooktop and a nearby propane oven. I prefer to cook with gas. So I use 60 pound propane tanks, attached to the house with RV style mounts. Cheap to fill, no awful propane contract, lasts all year.
7) I have significant off grid capabilities. Very helpful during hurricane season.
8) I chose an elevation (look of the house) that is very classy, with a grand entrance and white barrel tile roof for efficiency. Along with 2 solar attic fans located on the back side. The house looks wonderful.

The list goes on and on. But here is the Kicker. My house was not expensive. $157,000 when I built it. I saved money everywhere I could by doing things myself. I ended up with a really nice place, built the way I want, on a lot I love, worth far more than I've invested.

I moved in before it was finished and hired my own contractors to do interior work. That was smart, as I saved a bundle and got far better flooring than the builder would have provided.

Last edited:
Even with buying and building to your spec's, am I tripping??? Isn't 700K A LOT for a house that size???? I know, location, location, location....but wow, that seems pretty high.

Originally Posted by Schmoe
Even with buying and building to your spec's, am I tripping??? Isn't 700K A LOT for a house that size???? I know, location, location, location....but wow, that seems pretty high.

$600K is very reasonable.... $700K was the max.

Might sound strange for Oklahoma , but not really down here.

Originally Posted by Schmoe

$600K is very reasonable.... $700K was the max.

Might sound strange for Oklahoma , but not really down here.

Around here 99% of houses are under 200k

I have read that unless you make $200 an hour it's cheaper to assemble your own home by hand

Scoping out a lot of the small homes in this area the cost of materials is many times under $10,000 for a smaller home, I guess it pays to live in a wooded area where the supplies are made.

Cujet,

What year was your house built ?

Built in 2002.

I did make a couple of very minor mistakes. However, they are so minor in nature, they really don't matter. The kitchen size is just 1 inch too small for a 12 inch under counter storage cabinet, so I have an 8 inch cabinet and a filler piece. Ugh. I just did not know how the cabinet stack-up would work.

The doors are double pane glass, but not tinted, like the rest of the Low-E windows. It's a slight visual mismatch that you might not notice until it's mentioned. Was a simple oversight on my part.

The real mistake I made was not specifying everything! An example would be driveway pitch. My driveway pad outside the garage is too flat and a little water puddles near the garage door. Not enough to be a problem, as it's only a 1/8 inch or so and dissipates rapidly after the rain stops. But a 1 degree pitch would have been ideal. Same goes for the drywall. I made the contractor re-do much of the ceiling and master bath. He was furious, but there were obvious dimensional problems. His claim was that it was acceptable within his specifications. My claim that the 1/2 inch bulge in the center (crease really) was poor quality work. I should have specified a 1/8 inch tolerance in every direction. In the end, he made it right, but it was a fight.

Overall, I got exactly what I wanted and it's worked out incredibly well. I'm completely pleased with my home and quite frankly I don't want to sell it. But my job is trending up North and it looks like PA will eventually be my home. I'm already planning on a very similar layout in PA.

Of course, it won't have a "Florida" house look to it, but the floorplan will likely be very close.

There will likely be a huge difference in cost between builders. And if you choose to be your own GC, you will save a bundle. The builder I chose was not the cheapest per square foot, but seemed to have a very fair price for what ya got.

Last edited:
You know what you can buy for 600K here? McMansion easy...5-10 acre lot, 5-8 bedrooms, 4-5 bathrooms, huge kitchen, living room, 3-4 car garage with a separate metal garage building EASY.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back